Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 05:11 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I'm sort of surprised by the "inside the beltway" thing too. Although, I do vaguely remember that, excepting that, military installations often don't follow the OPM guidelines and have their own operating status. Andrews is one example and they are very close to DC. I guess I figured Ft. Belvoir was the same way--that the base commander would make that decision.
One would think the OPM's decisionswould cover civilian government employees working on an NCR base and the base commander's authority would be just over the military members on base as well as the opening or closing of the base itself. But what do I know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 05:14 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,312,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Ok, wow--I stand corrected! I'm quite surprised. (Belvoir is only 30 minutes from DC if there's no traffic. And administratively, Mark Center [well inside the Beltway] is treated as some extension of Belvoir.)

OPM really should expand its definition, because any weather system affecting inside the Beltway is going to have almost the same effect well outside the Beltway.
They also weirdly only specify the adjacent counties. Sometimes the weather in Loudoun is different from closer in, but when I worked for an agency (Executive, non-military) that has a small contingent of folks at a facility in Ashburn (I was based there one day a week and occasionally as needed), there was never a time that HQ was closed but we were open (or vice versa).

Old 10-29-2012, 05:55 AM

499 posts, read 2,157,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Well I'm glad you straightened that out. It must be exhausting having to correct everyone all the time.
I'm glad you took the time to comment. It must be exhausting trying to figure out how to be a keyboard commando.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:53 AM

414 posts, read 907,452 times
C'mon guys, lets not get snippy. This is the time when we should all be sharing the latest information to HELP one another.

Sandy has strengthened over night and now has max winds of 85MPH. The tropical storm force winds extend out 500 Miles from the center in all directions, which means this wind field of sustained 39MPH winds is 1,000 miles across. Sandy is projected to make landfall at or near Cape May NJ / the Delaware Bay, or somewhere just north or south of that area. The storm will likely then move inland moving somewhere between Baltimore and Philly, then across northern MD / southern PA. This storm WILL NOT WEAKEN QUICKLY after landfall either. In fact it may further strengthen for a time after land fall given all of the different atmospheric conditions that are in play. The transition from a tropical entity to an extratropical entity will likely cause strengthening after landfall. We are looking at a prolonged event of sustained winds of 40-50+MPH winds, gusting 60-75+. This wind event is going to last for 24-48 hours. We are going to get rain, and ALOT of it. All computer guidance suggest an event with rain totals of 5-10" in our area.

If you have gone out this morning, and plan to stay out the day, you will want to change those plans and do it now if you can. While it may not be that bad now, it will be that bad later this afternoon and tonight.

The first band of Sandy is now pushing into our area, and this is only the beginning. Below is the NWS Sterling VA Radar showing rain fall rates of 1+" per hour. This band is pushing from east to west, and can possibly drop 1-3"+ of rain. If it stalls, totals will be higher. This will only serve to further saturate the ground and weaken trees putting them in danger of being uprooted easily when the really high winds hit later today.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:01 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,727,487 times
Just got back from Target at 7 Corners. Hardly anyone there at 8AM. That'll probably change, though.

And nope, no more hand-crank radios.

Here's a tip for power outages: Votive candles are cheap, sold by the bag, and (because they're low and flat and already set in a metal cup) require no candle holders. You can just put them on plates and leave them around the house, as long as they're not near curtains.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:34 AM

499 posts, read 2,157,182 times
Quote:
Ok, wow--I stand corrected! I'm quite surprised. (Belvoir is only 30 minutes from DC if there's no traffic. And administratively, Mark Center [well inside the Beltway] is treated as some extension of Belvoir.)

OPM really should expand its definition, because any weather system affecting inside the Beltway is going to have almost the same effect well outside the Beltway.

Glad you raised the point, though, because I bet a lot of Belvoir employees were thinking as I was. (When I worked there, my agency was very proactive about updating us directly on operating status, so it didn't come up.)

You all stay safe.
I recently moved here--- reported to FT Belvoir in July. I also assumed that when OPM made its decision, FT Belvoir was within its jurisdiction. It wasn't until I checked Belvoir's FB page that I learned otherwise--- based upon the comments posted there, I wasn't alone.

I've never been stationed in the area before so I don't know the relationship between OPM and the many different Army posts, Air Force bases, etc. I'm used to the decision being left to the installation commander. Perhaps because of the density of installations and the fact that many of the installations have organizations that are staffed by federal employees, it makes sense for one entity to make decisions for all, ensuring a single standard.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:35 AM

881 posts, read 2,093,112 times
Just took Waples Mill/Oakton Rd. from Miller Heights to W. Ox. Water is already @ road level, so look for Waples Mill Road to be closed @ Fox Mill ~ Oakton Rd. shortly.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:38 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
Quote:

Here's a tip for power outages: Votive candles are cheap, sold by the bag, and (because they're low and flat and already set in a metal cup) require no candle holders. You can just put them on plates and leave them around the house, as long as they're not near curtains.
Be very careful with candles of any sort in a storm, even votive candles. It's better to not leave them unattended.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:50 AM

2,772 posts, read 4,319,029 times
Drove around to take some pictures here in Tysons. So far, Ive seen small thunderstorms that were more dangerous than current conditions. I still think applying the serious threat to the eastern shore, to somehow be an issue here in town is fear mongering. Low lying areas might flood... ok... when I was a kid those areas flooded all the time from snowmelts every other winter.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:10 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
I went to the Giant at VA Square around 8 this morning. The FDIC building and area was totally empty. The Giant had a lot of people in and there was still a lot of Giant brand water there. Washington Blvd and Columbia Pike are still in decent shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia