Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 09:57 AM

6,820 posts, read 4,272,827 times

Advertisements

The majority of people already seek out places where 'lots of white people' live, they just know to phrase it in a way that says the same thing but does not use racial language. Or does anyone think the fact you have many areas that are 90+% white in very 'diverse' regions is a pure coincidence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 03:47 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,496,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
It's quite possible and IMHO totally non bigoted to ask where fellow Jews or Italian-Americans or Scots Irish or transplants from appalachia live. Because those are positive identities, where people wish to live together for aspects of culture, etc. "White" is not a culture, its a demarkation of privilege, of not being a person of color.

And yes, years back I had this discussion about why its okay to ask where Jews live, and that's not the same as asking for a neighborhood with non-Jews. Its one thing to assert an identity, and desire to be near one's own group (not saying that's always a good thing, but its not bigotry) and another to try to avoid particular groups.
The one thing though is on this board it seems to be primarily people of Indian heritage asking this. You do not see the general representation of the other groups you mention.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:15 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,493,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
It's quite possible and IMHO totally non bigoted to ask where fellow Jews or Italian-Americans or Scots Irish or transplants from appalachia live. Because those are positive identities, where people wish to live together for aspects of culture, etc. "White" is not a culture, its a demarkation of privilege, of not being a person of color.

And yes, years back I had this discussion about why its okay to ask where Jews live, and that's not the same as asking for a neighborhood with non-Jews. Its one thing to assert an identity, and desire to be near one's own group (not saying that's always a good thing, but its not bigotry) and another to try to avoid particular groups.
I am tiring of this mantra that being “White” is privileged. Knock it off.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:31 PM

4 posts, read 6,461 times
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. My budget is between $1100-$1500 a month for 2 Bed 2 Bath. Can you suggest some apartment names?

Old 12-17-2018, 07:24 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,575,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
The one thing though is on this board it seems to be primarily people of Indian heritage asking this. You do not see the general representation of the other groups you mention.
Sure. Those other groups are generally assimilated enough into the general culture that seeking out there own is of less salience to them (Jews aside - we do get questions about where to find a Jewish nabe, which I am happy to answer) Among the newer immigrant groups, most are either more likely to seek out a non-English speaking website I guess, or are poorer and less tech savvy and more likely to seek info by word of mouth than online. Indians are often new immigrants, but are often English speaking and tech savvy. So not surprising.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:27 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,575,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
I am tiring of this mantra that being “White” is privileged. Knock it off.
I do not consider this forum an ideal place to discuss larger political issues, and would rather not have had to bring that up. I just wanted to make clear why IMO (and I think well backed up) the analogy to "where do Indians live?" is "where do Swedes live?" and not "where do whites live?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia