Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:37 AM

9 posts, read 29,333 times

Advertisements

My husband is being relocated to the DC area for work. We have visited several times & always come back to the Ashburn/Leesburg area. We have 3 children...2 in competitive cheer & 1 in travel ice hockey. Schools are important to us...2 are in elementary, 1 in middle school. Which in your opinion is the better & why? Is there anywhere else in VA or MD you would look at taking in consideration the schools & activities for our kids? Commute isn't an issue since my husband can work from his home office. We will be looking to purchase a newer home in a family friendly neighborhood with good schools for around 600,000+

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 10:23 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,455,339 times
I am not very knowledgable about schools in Ashburn but I believe they are pretty universally good. Leesburg is a little more hit and miss, especially at the middle and high school levels. I personally could never live in Ashburn because I favor more of a country, rural community and I find Ashburn to be too uniform. Some people love it, I couldn't live there - in fact I was just driving through yesterday mourning all of the abandoned older houses that will clearly be razed to make room for some future development.

That said, I love Leesburg, it's more of a diverse community, with a better mix of historic, mid century and new homes. I also prefer it's old town center.

Have you considered any of the towns surrounding Leesburg? In your budget and with a home office, you could consider Hamilton, Purcellville, Round Hill and Waterford, all of which have excellent schools (from K-12) and are great family friendly communities.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:27 AM

577 posts, read 2,060,367 times
Ashburn is a good option for you. The Ashburn Ice House is located there and more than likely will be the location for ice hockey practices. It is also home to one, if not two, cheerleading schools. The public schools are very good in general, although I'm sure some are considered better than others.

Most of the neighborhoods in Ashburn are very family friendly but some are more so than others. Take a close look when considering a house as to whether or not you see children playing outside or evidence of children close to your children's ages. Almost every street has children living on it but they may not be similar ages to your own. Feel free to chat up the neighbors and get a feel for each place.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:26 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,088,665 times
Competitive cheer for elementary school students definitely strikes me as more of an Ashburn thing than a Leesburg thing. Move soon enough and maybe the cheerleaders can cheer for Stone Bridge at the state football playoffs.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:44 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,268 times
Ashburn schools are, on average, a bit better than Leesburg schools (not sure what makes Catoctin ES poor on test scores.) If cheer/hockey is important, then I suspect Ashburn will be more up your alley, although it's not as if Leesburg is out in BFE, so if you like living in a more established area like Leesburg inside the bypass then that'd work too.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:46 PM

9 posts, read 29,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashburnite View Post
Ashburn is a good option for you. The Ashburn Ice House is located there and more than likely will be the location for ice hockey practices. It is also home to one, if not two, cheerleading schools. The public schools are very good in general, although I'm sure some are considered better than others.

Most of the neighborhoods in Ashburn are very family friendly but some are more so than others. Take a close look when considering a house as to whether or not you see children playing outside or evidence of children close to your children's ages. Almost every street has children living on it but they may not be similar ages to your own. Feel free to chat up the neighbors and get a feel for each place.
What are some neighborhoods in Ashburn you would consider with kids my age...11,9, & 7? We are looking at spending around 600,000.
Thanks for all your help!!!! I appreciate it so much! :-)

Old 11-02-2010, 10:18 PM

89 posts, read 179,005 times
I would check out Broadlands. Also, Lansdowne, which is technically Leesburg, but right next to Ashburn on the other side of Route 7, although the houses will probably be more expensive there.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:55 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,310,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer/hockey mom View Post
What are some neighborhoods in Ashburn you would consider with kids my age...11,9, & 7? We are looking at spending around 600,000.
Thanks for all your help!!!! I appreciate it so much! :-)
Brambleton!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:36 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,738,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Brambleton!
This! And Broadlands as well.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:46 AM

577 posts, read 2,060,367 times
Pretty much every subdivision in Ashburn has a lot of kids. If you see the community names of Ashburn Farm, Ashburn Village, Broadlands, Brambleton, Alexandra's Grove, Belmont Country Club, Villages at Waxpool or pretty much anything in the general area, there will be kids. If you can, try to drive around the areas to get a feel for each one since quantity and ages of kids will vary.

One thing to consider is that while most of the major communities (like listed above) have community centers, playgrounds, walking trails, and swimming pools, some of the smaller ones in the area do not. So keep amenities in mind as well.

School boundaries can change so generally speaking, the older "more established" communities have more stability with regard to school zoning changes. That, however, is no guarantee as last year there was a lot of discussion about rezoning pretty much everywhere. So if you consider places that are close to the edge of housing development be aware that as the area grows, new schools may be built and zoning boundaries may change. So don't base your home choice on a specific school.

Belmont Country Club is a gated community with a golf course, as is River Creek, which is off Route 7 between Ashburn and Leesburg. I'll keep my personal opinions of the communities out of it; but really they're all the right choice for *someone* just maybe not you. And they're all pretty nice, well-kept, family friendly, and safe communities. Crime does happen here but anything major is quite out of the ordinary.

All of the Ashburn area is a "bedroom community" meaning that there were no old downtowns that the communities were built around. Just subdivisions. Leesburg is older and has more of a historic feel in the downtown area, although there are many subdivisions surrounding it.

Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia