Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 09:12 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
What about the Korean community in Annandale?
I do not think this is a good example. I do not believe there really are a lot of Koreans living in Annandale and the businesses are diverse with a large number of Korean businesses being there but not the majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 11:12 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,358,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singhdheer105 View Post
I will be moving to Ashburn VA and looking for apartments that has Indian community. Can you please suggest the list of apartments?

Most of the apartment complexes Fairfax (Fair Lakes, Fair Oaks, Greenbriar Chantilly area) and Reston/Herndon have sizeable Indian populations.

Fairfax to Ashburn will be a long commute but Herndon is certainly doable (if you are working on Ashburn that is).

Ashburn itself has a huge Indian population but I believe most are in THs and SFH vs. apartments.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:42 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
How would folks respond if I asked for names of apartment buildings where loads of white people lived? And don't say every apt building is like this because it is not true. Would it be inappropriate of me as I wonder how appropriate this is when people ask for apt buildings with an Indian or Asian community in it. It's NOVA for Pete's sake, the races are so co-mingled here that just choose one where you can afford it or where the commute is less of an issue. Or am I reading too much into these requests?

Old 12-13-2018, 10:34 AM

37 posts, read 31,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
How would folks respond if I asked for names of apartment buildings where loads of white people lived? And don't say every apt building is like this because it is not true. Would it be inappropriate of me as I wonder how appropriate this is when people ask for apt buildings with an Indian or Asian community in it. It's NOVA for Pete's sake, the races are so co-mingled here that just choose one where you can afford it or where the commute is less of an issue. Or am I reading too much into these requests?
Also, what does he mean by Indian? My wife refers to herself as Indian. She was born on a Sioux Reservation in South Dakota.

Are you asking about people from the country of India?

Last edited by WVJeep556; 12-13-2018 at 10:42 AM..

Old 12-13-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVJeep556 View Post
Also, what does he mean by Indian? My wife refers to herself as Indian. She was born on a Sioux Reservation in South Dakota.

Are you asking about people from the country of India?
Based on the large Indian (India) population in this area I assumed this was what they meant.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:52 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,358,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post

Yes, you are reading way too much into these requests than needed.

These requests are no different than people within the US moving to large metropolitan areas and seeking small-town laid back neighborhoods where people are "polite and friendly" and have "Southern charm".

And certainly no different than Americans inquiring about neighborhoods and areas in foreign countries where they can easily find supermarkets carrying American groceries, pork and alcohol when it comes to Muslim countries, sports bars where they can follow NFL/MLB/NBA games, churches and places of worship of the predominant religious groups in America, and all other related amenities that they associate with their home country or country of origin.

Lastly, you are 100% entitled to inquire about apartments where lots of white people live - but you must be prepared to carry the burden of being labeled a racist or xenopohobe, because unfortunately the history of this country is not on your side.

I hope this was helpful.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:45 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I do not think this is a good example. I do not believe there really are a lot of Koreans living in Annandale and the businesses are diverse with a large number of Korean businesses being there but not the majority.

Actually, IIRC, probably more than half of the business in Annandale are Korean - of course some businesses such as gas stations are really not the kind to be 'ethnic'. Of restaurants, it was probably over 80% - and of non fast food restaurants, probably close to 90%. And a surprisingly high number of non food businesses that were korean, including some whose korean character might not be obvious - for example when we lived there Annandale had several places devoted to in person, multiplayer, PC (NOT console) gaming. Which as it happens, is particularly popular in South Korea. So even though it had I guess less than 20% of its population being Korean, it definitely had (and I think still has) a strong Korean "feel".

There is a high proportion of west africans in the Landmark area, and a high proportion of ethiopians in the beauregard corridor, and of middle easterners in Skyline. Not sure if any particular apartment complexes have a majority of one group, but I suspect a few come close. Of course there are many apt complexes with a majority of spanish speaking people from Latin America, and I think a few with majorities from particular countries. In Alexandria there is one neighborhood that is named for its latin american majority, "Chirilagua".

Anyway, this is a rather old discussion, is it not?

Old 12-13-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Yes, you are reading way too much into these requests than needed.

These requests are no different than people within the US moving to large metropolitan areas and seeking small-town laid back neighborhoods where people are "polite and friendly" and have "Southern charm".

And certainly no different than Americans inquiring about neighborhoods and areas in foreign countries where they can easily find supermarkets carrying American groceries, pork and alcohol when it comes to Muslim countries, sports bars where they can follow NFL/MLB/NBA games, churches and places of worship of the predominant religious groups in America, and all other related amenities that they associate with their home country or country of origin.

Lastly, you are 100% entitled to inquire about apartments where lots of white people live - but you must be prepared to carry the burden of being labeled a racist or xenopohobe, because unfortunately the history of this country is not on your side.

I hope this was helpful.

I would not ask and it would be nice if we were to the point where no one had to ask questions like these. But I get why some are asked.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:13 PM

1,751 posts, read 2,398,424 times
Default Indian community board

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhdheer105 View Post
I will be moving to Ashburn VA and looking for apartments that has Indian community. Can you please suggest the list of apartments?
There is a HUGE Indian community in Northern Virginia. There are multiple bulletin boards, Facebook pages etc. CD is pretty good but for your questions, I think you should check out specifically Indian forums and bulletin boards. I think that checking in with Virginia Indian Community, Virginia Desi Community, Indian Roommates, Travel Agents, Nannies, Events, Movies, Yellow pages and more would be an excellent resource for you. Check out their discussions board.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:30 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post

It's quite possible and IMHO totally non bigoted to ask where fellow Jews or Italian-Americans or Scots Irish or transplants from appalachia live. Because those are positive identities, where people wish to live together for aspects of culture, etc. "White" is not a culture, its a demarkation of privilege, of not being a person of color.

And yes, years back I had this discussion about why its okay to ask where Jews live, and that's not the same as asking for a neighborhood with non-Jews. Its one thing to assert an identity, and desire to be near one's own group (not saying that's always a good thing, but its not bigotry) and another to try to avoid particular groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia