Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 12:14 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,100,432 times

Advertisements

After weeks of political showmanship from both parties, the Virginia Senate has finally passed a state budget that includes an additional $300 million for Phase Two of the Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project. The proposal will now be sent to the House of Delegates for debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 12:18 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,517,978 times
This will help keep tolls down. The kabuki dance about rail to Loudoun will continue.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:30 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,570,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
This will help keep tolls down. The kabuki dance about rail to Loudoun will continue.

wait - is it 300 million toward the whole thing, including the loudoun piece, or 300 million toward whatever gets built? I would assume if the line terminates at the airport the commonwealth contribution gets reduced proportionately.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
It's all for show. Politicians being politicians.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It's all for show. Politicians being politicians.

do you actually know any local politicians personally? I know one member of the FFX bd of supervisors, and a couple of members of the FFX school board. One of my best friends from high school was a member of the city council of NYC. I can certainly tell you my old friend did not do things for show, he is one of the most sincere, honest people I have had the pleasure to know. I cannot speak as certainly for the FFX folks, but my sense is that when they debate large pieces of infrastructure costing hundreds of millions of dollars, its pretty serious.

really would it be okay to say something like this about businesspeople, or computer scientists, or some more favored line of work?

We in America disrespect elected officials as a class, regardless of individual behavior, and then we complain

Loudoun's Eugene Delgaudio: How'd he ever get elected

about the low quality of people who run for office.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
do you actually know any local politicians personally?
LOL, actually yes I do know a few. One, in fact, lives just a few doors down. And yes, I think a lot of what politicians do is for show. A lot of what they do is about trying to get the best deal or spin they possibly can, and many times that involves playing games.

Business people have games they play, too. And so do many scientists. Anyway, enough on this--let's get back on topic.

Last edited by Caladium; 03-28-2012 at 01:18 PM..

Old 03-28-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
A lot of what they do is about trying to get the best deal or spin they possibly can, and many times that involves playing games.
logrilling lubricates the system. Spin is only words. Passing a non substantive resolution for show, is part of the game.

Having a debate about a major piece of infrastructure, in a situation like this where it could impact the project timetable, where it is angering the neighboring jurisdiction, PURELY for show, is something a bit beyond. I am sure some pols might do that. I am quite sure not all would.

Rather say Loudoun pols are Loudoun pols, or the current GOP bd is the current GOP bd - saying pols are pols is just relieving them of responsibility.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:23 PM

Sounds like a debate for another thread. This one is about the State Senate approving $300 million for Phase Two of the Silver Line.

And yes, I do think that politicians, in general, and in every county, engage in showmanship.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:28 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,320,071 times
So does loudoun now want their portion to be done for free? :P

I still hope they end it at Dulles, and the first parking station one is Herndon Monroe. Should teach you guys to look a gift horse in the mouth. Just my opinion though.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
So does loudoun now want their portion to be done for free? :P
I don't know that $300 million would get it done for free. But you betcha the goal is to lower our portion of the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia