Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2007, 11:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,304 times

Advertisements

Job is relocating to Herndon. Looking for small town, country feel with good family, community support/surroundings, good schools, etc. Like Purcellville, Hamilton, Hillsboro and Round Hill from internet research (have not visited in person yet) but am concerned about a horrendous commute...

What is the approximate commute time I'm looking at to Herndon from these areas?

Also like the idea of subdivisions with large lots (1 + acre) and community centers within sub, like pool or park or club house. Any suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated, neither my husband nor I have ever been to the DC area for a visit...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 09:23 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,626,580 times
I would avoid Hillsboro. The town has one main road (671) which has one lane in each direction, and the road has become completely overrun by commuters from West Virginia. I used to take the road 10 years ago and thought it was bad then. That was when the buildout of the bedroom communities in the Shenandoah Valley and Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia was just starting.

There's an article in the Leesburg newspaper about the problem.

Leesburg Today - The Journal of Loudoun County - Pass-through Traffic Irks Western Loudoun Residents (http://www.leesburg2day.com/articles/2007/09/07/news/fp810western090707.txt - broken link)

Old 09-08-2007, 07:50 PM

982 posts, read 3,492,818 times
Szyq,

The best way to get to Herndon from any of the cities you're interested in is the Dulles toll road...it's the most direct route. My only gripe with the toll road is that it's expensive. I accidentally got on it about a month ago (lol yeah it's possible) and it cost me almost $3 to go less than 1/2 mile. I guess it's not bad if you are going a significant distance, I thought it was a rip off to pay that much to go one exit.

Anyway, the commute should be between 35 and 45 minutes. I was going to make some suggestions for communities to check out, but after 2 or 3 places, I realized that I don't know your neighborhood preference. Are you interested in a newer home or does it not matter?

Old 09-09-2007, 09:25 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,968,703 times
Purcellville to Herndon is about 45 minutes in non rush hour traffic, more at peak hours. Yes, there is the Greenway/Dulles toll road to help but even that is slow in rush hour. Consider Leesburg, that is closer and there are large lots available there. What is your budget? The closer to the Herndon/Reston area, the more expensive it will be.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 4,304 times
Thanks gals!

My current commute is between 30 - 55 minutes depending on traffic, so 45 doesn't sound bad. Regarding the Dulles Toll Road, isn't there a commuter pass that can be purchased at a discount? Hmm, it does sound pretty expensive..

I would like to get a little closer to Herndon, but we're not such big city people, so I was looking at outskirts. Don't know what our cost of living compensation adjustment will be yet so our budget hasn't been narrowed down. I imagine we'll be looking between 450K - 600K. I'd like to get as much sq ftg as possible, with at least a little character. So more established neighborhoods or newer ones are fine. Our current home is newer (2004) and has about 2500 sq ft (not including full basement). We have 3 young children and anticipate frequent overnight visitors so 4-5 bedrooms would be ideal. Good schools are important, but from what I've seen, all the Loudoun Cty schools seem on the top end.

Hope that helps. I'd love to get your recommendations for communities I haven't yet considered.

Thanks so much for your time.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:46 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,909,004 times
ok I live in Leesburg and depending on what time your commute is you can make it to Herndon from Purceville in 30 minutes easy. esp if you take the toll. Rt 7 can be a pain but it's free and the traffic lessens up ALOT after 9am. So yes in high rush hour it will take you 45 minutes to get from Purceville to Herndon esp on rt 7.

Now for all hte amienties you you are looking for none of the towns you mentioned have them. Purceville has the most. Good schools are in all though.
But roundhill has nothing. we considered moving there but you can add about 20 minutes on to your commute in traffic. No grocery store etc... new Houses and elementary school. (some neighborhoods have communtiy pools I think)
Purceville has grocery shopping and a town pool and parks... but you will still find going to Leesburg for other amienties. (but it's only about 10minutes)

I really like Purceville, it still has retained it's small town feel etc...

I'd avoid Luckettes right now. rt 15 is the only way in and out and it's a real bear during rush hour. no shopping etc... you have to come inot Leesburg for everything and depending on hte time of day that 10 miles could take you 30 minutes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia