Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 02:07 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,959,730 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with this neighborhood? There is a house for rent and it looks nice. Wondering about schools and if it's family friendly. Any other info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 02:15 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,091 times
Where is it in Purcellville? Actually, there are no bad neighborhoods in Purcellville and the schools are all quite good. It's a small, rural, town.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:02 PM

Hi Denton! I think it's right when you enter the town. I'm not real sure as I am only looking at pictures. The listing doesn't give that much detail. Just wondering if there are kids around as well.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:14 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,962,708 times
It is right where you think it is. That is a very nice area and there are plenty of kids in Purcellville. City-Data has lots of info about Purcellville https://www.city-data.com/housing/hou...-Virginia.html.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:53 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
If you're looking for "Mayberry", you'll find it in Purcellville.

The Villages are right off of Route 287 directly across from Patrick Henry College. The houses in there were hitting close to $600 when the recession knocked them into the low $400s. Great time to rent with an option to buy! All of the houses are single-family, four bedroom, 2 1/2 bath colonials with two car garages built circa 1990ish. The streets loop with sidewalks on both sides of the street and there are multiple cul-de-sacs.

Anyway, tons of kids, especially at the top of the loop of Pickwick Drive and Drawbridge Way. It's the kind of neighborhood where people walk dogs, moms sit outside in lawn chairs while the kids play flashlight tag and dodgeball in the street. There are two playgrounds and there seems to be a reasonable number of stay-at-home moms (or only work part-time). One of the town councilmen lives in the neighborhood.

The firetruck parades through there at Christmas with Santa and you'll need lots of candy to hand out at Halloween. Loudoun Valley high school is directly behind the houses on Pickwick and Sutton and the high school kids can walk to school. Mountain View elementary and the middle are an easy bus ride. The schools are always well above the averages.

Gangs and similar closer-in problems have yet to arrive in Purcellville in any big way. Of course, there are little problems everywhere but Purcellville is an extremely safe town, with minimal crime and extremely rarely, vandalism.

There's an outdoor pool, tennis courts, ball fields etc at Franklin Park Franklin Park (http://www.loudoun.gov/default.aspx?tabid=914 - broken link) at the opposite end of town. Every possible sport team -- baseball, soccer, football, lacrosse, cheerleading, swimming -- are available. Fireman's Field in the center of town hosts the Babe Ruth World Series every year (at least I think it's every year). There's also an arts center Franklin Park Arts Center - Welcome

Loudoun Valley Golf and Country Club http://www.loudoungcc.com/ is also in Purcellville and, compared to closer-in clubs, is extremely affordable.

The W&OD bike/hike/horse trail starts (or ends, depending on your perspective) in the center of Purcellville. If you are inclined, you could start on the trail and end up in Arlington. The Trail

There is a community center http://www.loudoun.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=832&zoom_highlight=virginia (broken link) that has all kinds of activities.

Of course, there are several churches and the associated youth groups, scout troops, etc..

There is a new Harris-Teeter scheduled to be built at the corner of Route 287 and Business Route 7 so you may want to check the plat for the house you are considering.

The only real drawback would be the commute to wherever you're working. Traffic on the by-pass is heavy, morning and evening.

All in all, a very family-oriented community. Good luck.

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 09-28-2010 at 05:04 PM..

Old 09-28-2010, 05:36 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
A new Harris-Teeter? Seriously? Can Purcellville really support three (or more?) grocery stores?

Old 09-28-2010, 06:05 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
Here's a photo tour that was taken last winter. Of course, it's much prettier now, since the trees are in full leaf and the foliage is starting to turn.

Hamilton, Purcellville & Round Hill

Old 09-28-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
If you're looking for "Mayberry", you'll find it in Purcellville.

The Villages are right off of Route 287 directly across from Patrick Henry College. The houses in there were hitting close to $600 when the recession knocked them into the low $400s. Great time to rent with an option to buy! All of the houses are single-family, four bedroom, 2 1/2 bath colonials with two car garages built circa 1990ish. The streets loop with sidewalks on both sides of the street and there are multiple cul-de-sacs.

Anyway, tons of kids, especially at the top of the loop of Pickwick Drive and Drawbridge Way. It's the kind of neighborhood where people walk dogs, moms sit outside in lawn chairs while the kids play flashlight tag and dodgeball in the street. There are two playgrounds and there seems to be a reasonable number of stay-at-home moms (or only work part-time). One of the town councilmen lives in the neighborhood.

The firetruck parades through there at Christmas with Santa and you'll need lots of candy to hand out at Halloween. Loudoun Valley high school is directly behind the houses on Pickwick and Sutton and the high school kids can walk to school. Mountain View elementary and the middle are an easy bus ride. The schools are always well above the averages.

Gangs and similar closer-in problems have yet to arrive in Purcellville in any big way. Of course, there are little problems everywhere but Purcellville is an extremely safe town, with minimal crime and extremely rarely, vandalism.

There's an outdoor pool, tennis courts, ball fields etc at Franklin Park Franklin Park (http://www.loudoun.gov/default.aspx?tabid=914 - broken link) at the opposite end of town. Every possible sport team -- baseball, soccer, football, lacrosse, cheerleading, swimming -- are available. Fireman's Field in the center of town hosts the Babe Ruth World Series every year (at least I think it's every year). There's also an arts center Franklin Park Arts Center - Welcome

Loudoun Valley Golf and Country Club Loudoun Golf and Country Club is also in Purcellville and, compared to closer-in clubs, is extremely affordable.

The W&OD bike/hike/horse trail starts (or ends, depending on your perspective) in the center of Purcellville. If you are inclined, you could start on the trail and end up in Arlington. The Trail

There is a community center Loudoun Valley Community Center (http://www.loudoun.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=832&zoom_highlight=virginia - broken link) that has all kinds of activities.

Of course, there are several churches and the associated youth groups, scout troops, etc..

There is a new Harris-Teeter scheduled to be built at the corner of Route 287 and Business Route 7 so you may want to check the plat for the house you are considering.

The only real drawback would be the commute to wherever you're working. Traffic on the by-pass is heavy, morning and evening.

All in all, a very family-oriented community. Good luck.
Sounds exactly what I am looking for w/ the kids. Though I do work (I can work from home) so I won't be able to hang w/ the SAHM's during the day. Though one of the reasons we are moving back to the area is so I have an office to go to. Working from home for 4 years sure gets lonely.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:08 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Sounds exactly what I am looking for w/ the kids. Though I do work (I can work from home) so I won't be able to hang w/ the SAHM's during the day. Though one of the reasons we are moving back to the area is so I have an office to go to. Working from home for 4 years sure gets lonely.
Welcome back! You probably already know this, but just in case you don't, the accent is on the first syllable. PUR-cellville, not Pur-CELL-ville.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:16 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,455,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Welcome back! You probably already know this, but just in case you don't, the accent is on the first syllable. PUR-cellville, not Pur-CELL-ville.

HA so didn't know that when we were first looking here, took awhile to get used to saying it

Anyway OP Purcellville is a great town...the best. Honestly. I live in Round Hill, about 3 miles west of Purcellville so it's our "big town", where we shop, dine etc. It's really a great, family oriented, sweet little town. And the schools are top notch.

Yes they are planning a Harris Teeter on that corner, and to you RR, I would say that Bloom will end up closing, it's not well attended as is. The town definitely can't support three foodstores and Bloom will be the worst of the three. I personally shop at Wegmans but if Harris Teeter is any good, we'll certainly be happy to shop there.

The commute is honestly not bad, the bypass into Leesburg is rarely backed up in fact. It gets busy in Leesburg but before that in the AM and after that in PM, it's smooth sailing. The exit off to 287 in Purcellville can get backed up in rush hour, but it's not horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia