Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 06:02 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
I'm guessing you didn't get to drive through Round Hill, because if you did, you see that it's a tiny tiny town. There are only 600 residents in Round Hill proper, though there are some others outside the town, such as the whole Villages at Round Hill, which is obviously a huge housing development just east of town. As such, there is little to no commerce in town itself, so you'll be either using an in home daycare or going to Purcellville for daycare.

The town itself consists of two restaurants (greasy spoon diner and a fancier restaurant that's not overly kid friendly), two old time general stores, a gas station, a doctor, a dentist and some auto body shops...it's tiny. You will probably do nothing but get gas and visit the post office in the actual town. It's a very nice community though, everyone knows everyone, old timers eating breakfast every day at the diner, small town fairs and parades, just a sweet sweet little town.

As to the commute, I work at home, but my husband commutes to Herndon 3x a week and his commute is normally not bad at all. It takes him about 35 mins to get there, but we take the Dulles Greenway which is very expensive. We spent about $50K less on a house here than in Purcellville or Leesburg where we also looked so we budgeted the extra toll expense when we bought here in Round Hill. If you didn't take the toll road, I wouldn't even want to guestimate but it would not be fun. If the weather is bad or there is an accident, it can take up to an hour, but that is relatively rare. Coming from Round Hill, it's a veyr easy commute because you're so close to route 7, which doesn't back up at all until Leesburg even in the worst rush hour traffic. Honestly areas in Purcellville would be even longer commutes that being in town Round Hill, because of the extra time of getting to route 7. We live right down town and it takes exactly 1 minute to get onto route 7.

I am not very familiar with Sterling but whenever I do go to that area, I take route 7. If you can get there by using the Greenway, that will be your best bet. If not, I understand that 7 can get really backed up. I have driven there on the weekends and it's about 30 mins with no traffic, I wouldn't even want to venture a guess about rush hour traffic since I haven't seen it then. Ashburn would be a breeze, no problem at all. It takes me about 20-30 mins to get to most areas in Ashburn and you're not spending too much time on route 7 so it's not that bad. All of your traffic is going to come from Leesburg on east, west of Leesburg is an absolute breeze.
At this point I am doing everything online. I am still down in NC with the kids and my DH is up there working. He will most likely have to see the houses first and then if I can come up with the kids (2.5 and 16 months) to do a second round of viewing. Who knows though. We only have two months and I want to avoid moving twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 06:21 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
You do know about Zillow.com, right? If you scroll to the bottom of the pages, you can see street views on a lot of the houses and get a fairly accurate appraisal of the property.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:23 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,424 times
I moved long distance too OP, so I know how it is. Happy to provide any detail you need!

and yes Lynchburglover you're right, that is a very convenient neighborhood and traveling through p-ville during school bus traffic is NOT fun. Luckily you can always zip onto the express 7 and by pass it.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:57 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
You do know about Zillow.com, right? If you scroll to the bottom of the pages, you can see street views on a lot of the houses and get a fairly accurate appraisal of the property.
I found in my experience that zillow.com is off the mark as far as appraisals. I didn't know they had street views. I took a quick view of the map and found and know right where the Villages is located.

I do want to know real experiences though in living in these towns. We lived in the Sterling area for 10 years and before that my DH lived in Centreville, Reston, Vienna, Dale City (born and raised in the NoVa area). We just don't have any knowledge about the cities West of Leesburg. I appreciate everyone that has chimed in it really helps.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:21 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,424 times
yeah I wouldn't rely on Zillow in a fast growing area...my house which was built in 2008 is still an empty lot on zillow maps

Old 09-29-2010, 08:37 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
A new Harris-Teeter? Seriously? Can Purcellville really support three (or more?) grocery stores?
Yes! Since people from Hamilton, Round Hill, Bluemont, Waterford, Hillsboro, and Lovettsville, all depend on Purcellville for groceries, we can most certainly support a Harris-Teeter. Then I won't have to drive to Wegman's so often!

Old 09-29-2010, 08:41 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Hi Denton! I think it's right when you enter the town. I'm not real sure as I am only looking at pictures. The listing doesn't give that much detail. Just wondering if there are kids around as well.
Oh, ok, I know exactly where that is. It's a nice neighborhood, and very convenient to Route 7. Purcellville has TONs of kids. This part of Northern Virginia is VERY family friendly. VERY VERY VERY It's the perfect place to raise kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia