Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 08:02 PM

90 posts, read 184,860 times

Advertisements

I work downtown near the Capitol and have been looking at homes and townhomes in Arlington. After some investigation I've come to the conclusion that it's hard to find what I'm looking for in our price range.

How would the commute be from McLean? I have a sense it would depend on where exactly you are in McLean, but in general do you think it would be more than an hour each way? Right now I'm staying out in Great Falls and the commute is usually taking me 1.5 hrs by car -- sometimes more with traffic. It's beginning to wear me down, so I'm thinking this is something important I need to consider. I've seen some nice townhomes in McLean, which is the reason I ask specifically about this area.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 09:11 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,088,046 times
In general, you should be able to get to the Hill within an hour from most of McLean. But there aren't a ton of townhouses in McLean, and they aren't inexpensive (there are actually more less expensive townhouses in Arlington than in McLean). It may be that, for a townhouse with certain specs, the same property would be less expensive in McLean than some parts of North Arlington. You might also want to look in areas in Falls Church near the East or West Falls Church metro stations, since you'd then have the option of taking Metro to Capitol Hill.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:33 AM

518 posts, read 1,450,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
You might also want to look in areas in Falls Church near the East or West Falls Church metro stations, since you'd then have the option of taking Metro to Capitol Hill.
I agree that Falls Church might be a more realistic option. You were concerned about schools, and in the neighborhoods close to Metro in Falls Church, you would be in either the Marshall HS, McLean HS or Falls Church City pyramids--all excellent. The City of Falls Church has more of the traditional "town" feel than unincorporated Falls Church in Fairfax County, and it is a very walkable/pedestrian friendly city. The W&OD park/bike trail also runs through the city.

Maybe consider the Town of Vienna as well. It's convenient to Metro, and you will be able to sit down on the train.

I guess you also decided against the close-in Maryland suburbs?

Old 10-14-2011, 05:13 PM

19 posts, read 95,976 times
Most people I know who have a long commute leave at 5 or 5:30AM. It's not for me, but that's the way to do it to keep it manageable (even Sterling or Manassas to DC seems doable very early).

Tysons Corner is getting the metro; it always took me about an hour to drive leaving at 7+ from Tysons to DC. Closer to North Arlington ... you'd need to map it, but it would be closer than Tysons - you'd take the parkway, etc..

Old 10-14-2011, 08:22 PM

Thank you for the replies. I am still thinking about the close-in Maryland suburbs. They are more similar to the area we're coming from in NJ, but I keep thinking VA will make more sense financially due to lower taxes and more public college options (I have 2 teenagers).

We've looked a bit in Fall Church City -- I was disappointed that there wasn't more housing inventory available in our price range. Maybe we just hit it at a bad time when there weren't a lot of houses on the market. I liked Vienna a lot, but it's a bit more "country" than we're used to. I plan to continue looking there however, because it has a lot to offer.

McLean had a few townhomes that looked promising, although they were at the top range of our budget.

I'm beginning to think our expectations of what we can get for our money inside the Beltway may be unrealistic. It's just that I'm really finding my daily commute to be a grind. It's not so bad now because I'm solo, but when my family moves down I fear I'll be too exhausted to do anything in the evenings with them. I think this leads me to think seriously about being near a Metro stop. Maybe I should hold out for something near the Silver Line?

Old 10-14-2011, 10:32 PM

Vienna is an attractive town and has an actual historic downtown unlike McLean (Church St. area). It's is not exactly "picture perfect" like Maplewood or those other picturesque NJ towns, but it has character, a small town feel, good schools, and it's convenient to Metro. The train ride from Vienna is not that bad; you'll be able to relax during the commute, and the orange line goes straight to Capitol Hill and nearby parts of downtown.

If you feel comfortable with the magnet school options in southeastern Montgomery County, Takoma Park and close-in Silver Spring might have some good deals. Takoma Park is a beautiful town most well known for its Queen Anne Victorian architecture, but it also has more modest bungalows, that sell for less than those in the Northern Va suburbs. Metro is very convenient.

UMD has a good reputation, but you're right that the public college options in Va are much better.

(On Church St. in Vienna I highly recommend you try Nielsen's Frozen Custard. It's much better than Shake Shack's custard, and it's a great neighborhood lunch and desert spot. Northern Virginia was home to hundreds of dairy farms many years ago, and frozen custard has always been a local tradition.)

Old 10-15-2011, 09:32 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtownorbust View Post
I liked Vienna a lot, but it's a bit more "country" than we're used to. I plan to continue looking there however, because it has a lot to offer.
Hmm...I've heard some people who think Vienna is congested, and I know others who don't particularly care for it. But I've never heard it described as too "country." I'm curious - where in Vienna were you looking that seemed country-like to you?

Old 10-16-2011, 08:08 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,088,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtownorbust View Post
Thank you for the replies. I am still thinking about the close-in Maryland suburbs. They are more similar to the area we're coming from in NJ, but I keep thinking VA will make more sense financially due to lower taxes and more public college options (I have 2 teenagers).

We've looked a bit in Fall Church City -- I was disappointed that there wasn't more housing inventory available in our price range. Maybe we just hit it at a bad time when there weren't a lot of houses on the market. I liked Vienna a lot, but it's a bit more "country" than we're used to. I plan to continue looking there however, because it has a lot to offer.

McLean had a few townhomes that looked promising, although they were at the top range of our budget.

I'm beginning to think our expectations of what we can get for our money inside the Beltway may be unrealistic. It's just that I'm really finding my daily commute to be a grind. It's not so bad now because I'm solo, but when my family moves down I fear I'll be too exhausted to do anything in the evenings with them. I think this leads me to think seriously about being near a Metro stop. Maybe I should hold out for something near the Silver Line?
We could probably give you more suggestions if you were more specific as to your budget, space requirements, and commuting schedule. I get the impression that you are a rush-hour commuter, in which case Vienna probably won't be a major improvement over Great Falls unless you take Metro (which usually means living within walking distance of the station or arriving at the station early enough to get a parking space).

Old 10-16-2011, 10:44 AM

Reserved parking is currently available at the Vienna and Dunn Loring stations, according to Metro's website, so for $65/mo you will have a guaranteed space. Overall, there are about 5,000 all-day spaces at Vienna, and 1,000 at Dunn Loring, for4.50/day. There are also plenty of buses to both stations that are popular with commuters.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine View Post
Reserved parking is currently available at the Vienna and Dunn Loring stations, according to Metro's website, so for $65/mo you will have a guaranteed space. Overall, there are about 5,000 all-day spaces at Vienna, and 1,000 at Dunn Loring, for4.50/day. There are also plenty of buses to both stations that are popular with commuters.
I've taken the Fairfax Connector bus a few times from Reston to West Falls Church metro. It's not a bad way to travel and the cost is pretty reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia