Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 03:28 PM

12 posts, read 48,016 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of accepting an offer from company in Mclean. I am probably gonna make around 90-95K. I have absolutely no idea about Mclean and the surrounding areas. I would like to rent a (1000+sq ft) 2 bedroom apartment/condo in a safe neighbourhood. Hoping to keep the commute to 20-30 mins max. I would appreciate your feedback on the same.

Thanks
Max
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 07:25 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz7619 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of accepting an offer from company in Mclean. I am probably gonna make around 90-95K. I have absolutely no idea about Mclean and the surrounding areas. I would like to rent a (1000+sq ft) 2 bedroom apartment/condo in a safe neighbourhood. Hoping to keep the commute to 20-30 mins max. I would appreciate your feedback on the same.

Thanks
Max
have you tried realtor.com ? Also are you military DoD?

Old 06-03-2008, 07:33 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
I'm assuming when you say working in McLean you are referring to the Tysons Corner area (where I work). A twenty to thirty minute commute to Tysons won't get you very far. It can take that long during rush hour just to get exit the Beltway and to head through a couple lights to your destination. Staying close to Tysons will place you in some of the priciest parts of Northern VA, but in my opinion it is well worth it. Expect to pay anywhere from $1500 p/month on up for a 2 bedroom place, I cannot speak for all areas but I know in my section of Arlington they usually run closer to $2000.

I work in Tysons and live in Arlington, depending on the exact route, I can usually make it in about 25 minutes if I leave before 8...evenings are never consistent, sometimes it's 25, others it's 45 for no apparent reason. I would advise you to check there, Falls Church, or the Vienna/Dunn Loring area. These communities are all located along Metro's Orange Line and therefore you have easy access into the city on the weekends or really whenever you like!

Old 06-04-2008, 03:57 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneeratheart View Post
I'm assuming when you say working in McLean you are referring to the Tysons Corner area (where I work). A twenty to thirty minute commute to Tysons won't get you very far. It can take that long during rush hour just to get exit the Beltway and to head through a couple lights to your destination. Staying close to Tysons will place you in some of the priciest parts of Northern VA, but in my opinion it is well worth it. Expect to pay anywhere from $1500 p/month on up for a 2 bedroom place, I cannot speak for all areas but I know in my section of Arlington they usually run closer to $2000.

I work in Tysons and live in Arlington, depending on the exact route, I can usually make it in about 25 minutes if I leave before 8...evenings are never consistent, sometimes it's 25, others it's 45 for no apparent reason. I would advise you to check there, Falls Church, or the Vienna/Dunn Loring area. These communities are all located along Metro's Orange Line and therefore you have easy access into the city on the weekends or really whenever you like!
yikes, you are even going against the traffic..

Old 06-04-2008, 05:10 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
yikes, you are even going against the traffic..
From Tyson's to Arlington isn't all "against traffic." There are plenty of people who work at Tyson's or the CIA who live in DC and Maryland who are heading in the same direction. Also folks going into DC for concerts or other evening activities. I usually see traffic going in both directions on 123 in the Chain Bridge/CIA/GW Parkway area, both morning and evening.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:53 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
Yeah reverse commutes don't really exist in most parts of metro DC...speaking of commuting, it took me an hour and 20 mins to get home tonight, amazing what some severe weather will do!

Old 06-06-2008, 06:31 AM

12 posts, read 48,016 times
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your feedbacks. The company is located at Georgetown pike (around 5miles from tyson`s square). I am just out of grad school..GATECH...so I`d like to save as much as I can balancing both a nice apt and commute (considering the oil prices now days!!!)..from what I have heard till now I think paying up arnd $1500+ sort of looks min for 2 bedroom apts...
In general what is the cost of living in DC area like...here in atlanta I can manage everything from apt, health/auto, student load and utilities within $2000. I am sure its a lot more just looking at apt renting costs....how are the other comodities prices there...

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia