Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 08:57 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,891,890 times

Advertisements

I live close enough to 236/Main St. (in Fairfax)/Little River Turnpike that I can hear a semi-annoying perpetual dull 'whoosh' in my apartment if nothing else is producing noise at the time. (Happens admittedly rarely, though, since my roommate tends to also be home if I am, and that means a good chance of video game music/sound effects drowning out the highway noise.) It's actually come to bug me *more* the longer I've lived here, oddly enough. Or maybe traffic's just getting (even) worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 04:41 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,871,386 times
I live about 1/4 mile from the VRE I guess....you get really used to it. You hear the train whistle but it is distant and you do hear the rumble of the train. I get more noise from the fire house across the street....but neither ever bother me. I think it is up to you what you think you can deal with. We have friends that literally live 20 feet from the railroad tracks up north....when we stay with them....still doesn't bother me.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:23 AM

191 posts, read 358,603 times
I have to drive by a VRE station to get to work everyday, i have noticed that they tend to honk or blow there horn fairly loudly everyday at a certain time. The VRE Station that i pass is in woodbridge and there are houses close by so i can only imagine dealing with that every morning, but i guess you get used to it or schedule your job or school around it?? Hey it could even be your alarm clock haha! Quick Question: Can anyone tell me WHY they have to blow there horns?? Is it to warn other trains of there arrival?? Is it to tell people who are waiting or maybe sleeping "wake up" im here??

Old 05-23-2011, 06:37 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,871,386 times
They blow their horns when they are approaching a railroad crossing to warn vehicles.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:46 AM

564 posts, read 1,498,564 times
I don't live near the VRE, but FWIW, I lived in Flagstaff, AZ for 4 years - a relatively small town by NOVA standards (60k population) through which 50-100 BNSF freight trains passed each day. The trains bothered me for the first week or two out of those 4 years, and the rest of the time it actually became relaxing/soothing to hear the train whistle in the distance at night. When I moved back here, I really missed hearing the trains at night. It actually bothered me that I wasn't hearing it.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:47 AM

191 posts, read 358,603 times
Oh okay that makes sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia