Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 03:10 PM

11 posts, read 22,907 times

Advertisements

Is the noise from the airport bad no matter where you live in Herndon? Looking at Trevors Run and Dulles Greene. Thanks for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 07:05 AM

227 posts, read 398,915 times
At Dulles Greene you are also going to be hearing toll road and most likely Rt 28.
I am 6 miles away from IAD in Herndon and I still occasionally hear the planes, exp. when the wind is blowing my way

Old 09-07-2011, 02:18 PM

14 posts, read 59,603 times
The places that you mentioned seem to be almost right on top of the airport, but from where I live (near "old town" Herndon) it's not as bad as you might think. Most of the runways are north-south and Herndon is mostly due east so the planes are rarely overhead. Even when they're circling they seem to be more over Reston because Herndon is so close.

There are occasions when you can really hear them once in a while taking off, but I think that's only when the factors line up - using a particular runway and wind blowing in the right direction. Unfortunately, when it does happen it's usually at night when everything else is quiet and the jumbo jets are taking off for the red-eyes to Europe. Definitely the exception and not the rule though.

Between three busy airports and all of the military helicopters flying around, there is nowhere in the metro area that is going to be quiet from air traffic and I don't think Herndon is any worse than just about anywhere else. It's nice being that close with affordable cab rides and if you're picking somebody up, you can wait until they land before even bothering to leave the house.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:22 PM

554 posts, read 976,943 times
I hear very little airplane noise in old town herndon

Old 09-07-2011, 07:59 PM

100 posts, read 219,941 times
I lived at Trevors Run for almost four years, and most of the time I was living there, I rarely heard airport noise. I am easily annoyed by noise, so I would remember if it had been a problem. It's possible that they've rerouted flight paths since I moved away (three years ago), but if not, you probably won't hear planes very often.

(As a side note, I recommend Trevors Run. Great apartments, very responsive management and maintenance staff.)

Old 09-08-2011, 10:03 PM

139 posts, read 314,829 times
Live in "town" and I never hear a thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia