Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2010, 06:55 PM

85 posts, read 297,604 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Quantico, VA area for work. What is the best school district within a 45-min rush hour commute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 04:58 AM

I am looking at Manassas, Manassas Park, Stafford, and Montclair based on my research of this site. Any info on the schools in those areas is appreciated.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:27 AM

722 posts, read 1,924,211 times
I have heard only excellent things about Ashland elementary school. I've heard good things about Forest Park high school as well. What school level are you looking for (elementary, middle, high school)?

My Dh is stationed at Quantico. When we first moved here, we looked at a few homes in the Ashland neighborhood and loved it--but most the homes big enough for us (we have 4 kids) were a bit out of our price range.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:50 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,517,629 times
Colonial Forge is the best-scoring high school (SOL/SAT), generally I would prefer Stafford to areas of eastern PWC (they are hit and miss). If Manassas works for you commute-wise, then Battlefield/Brentsville/Osbourn Park are well-regarded.

If Burke/Fairfax east of the city is a doable commute for you that might work the best for two reasons: (1) Good schools in Braddock, Robinson, Woodson, etc. and (2) Better situated should you need to change jobs.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:11 PM

142 posts, read 273,175 times
North of Quantico, brand new high school, Patriot, opens in 2011. You want west of Linton Hall Rd in the 20136 zip. 20155 will get you in Battlefield HS. I take Dumfries Rd to 95 every morning. It'll take you 25 mins depending on how early you leave.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:15 PM

265 posts, read 953,133 times
Prince William County has great schools overall. Many schools in the county have made AYP and the numbers are very strong. However numbers shouldn't be the only thing that people are looking for. The county also has many specialized programs within the schools so if you have a child that is interested in a particular subject area (Information Technology, BioTech, Language Specialties, Gifted, etc) they can apply to that program at all levels. Many students especially at the High School Level do not go to their neighborhood school as a result. You can check out more about the Specialy Programs on the Prince William County School website.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:06 AM

Can anyone compare the schools near Quantico to any of the districts in the following cities: Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Denver, or Phoenix? I have lived in all those areas, so if someone could make a comparison (ie, school district X near Quantico is about as good as Cherry Creek in the Denver area) it would be extremely helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia