Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 08:49 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,165,551 times

Advertisements

Moderator Cut

I'm not that old, 30 to be exact, and I remember feeling safe walking around the woods in NOVA but maybe 'cause I'm a guy and I've been in the jungles of Guam and the Philippines. I've also gone to state parks and ran the trails by myself without worries. I've never gone at night, but why would I go running at night as it's hard to see and I like to look at nature while I'm running.

Last edited by FindingZen; 12-22-2010 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: edited out off-topic portion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 09:15 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,461,803 times
It's the times we live in, seemingly no matter where you live, that a healthy dose of caution and "street smarts" is called for when one goes anywhere.

I don't often go walking at night, but that's more because I go to bed early (and get up early) rather than being fearful of walking on our street or in our neighborhood at night.

But no matter where/when I walk, and whether I have company or not, I always have my cell phone with me and turned on, and I am always aware of my surroundings. I think that's just being prudent.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:05 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,109,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
Part of the problem is that there is crime, even if statistics say that it's not likely to happen to you. An example is the couple that were brutally beaten, one to death, in the Landsdowne area of Loudnoun County. This is a very affluent area, but some hoodlums spent 15 minutes driving there to commit the crime.
Was this the crime where the husband was dragged out to that small bridge (Goose Creek nr Rte 7?), by a bunch of guys in a van. And then shortly thereafter, the wife was beaten to death too?

I think there were something fishy about this story--I think the guy was former CIA or something like that?

Back to your original question -- I think it depends exactly where one would choose to walk. If it's a neighborhood or some familiar place, that's one thing. But I remember muggings/attacks happening along the biking trail in Arlington and some creeps on the George Mason U campus (lots of trees). But like GreenGene said, it has alot to do about being aware of one's surroundings.

I agree about the city-issue and walking: I would feel more comfortable late at night in the city instead of a heavily-wooded area. I grew up in a wooded area and there was always talk about how people "disappear" in the woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia