Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,426 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of moving out of the Georgetown area of DC to Virginia. We have a one year old son and I just started working in Northern Virginia. We love to be able to walk to shops but want to live in an area with good public schools. I also want to be in an area with young professional families and a neighborhood with sidewalks. Is there any place similiar to Bethesda in Northern Virginia? Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 08:45 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,722,783 times
Have you been to Arlington? I don't know a lot about schools, but I think North Arlington has good ones, and it'll have a more urban feel than further out.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:05 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,898,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Have you been to Arlington? I don't know a lot about schools, but I think North Arlington has good ones, and it'll have a more urban feel than further out.

North Arlington is suburban with some tiny/shopping areas/strip malls scattered about.

Bethesda is much more urban than NoVA outside of Seven Corners/Baileys Crossing and Old Town Alexandria.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:08 AM

486 posts, read 1,666,564 times
I think Arlington is your best bet. Perhaps Tysons area somewhat. Perhaps Bethesda (if you're ok with MD), but I can't think of anywhere else besides Arlington where you could walk to most places have that same kind of Georgetown feel.

We used to live in Georgetown and just got used to having to drive places after leaving the city.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:23 AM

608 posts, read 1,709,422 times
Old Town Alexandria fits the bill, but it's really expensive. Places along the Orange Line on the Metro like Rosslyn, Ballston, and Clarendon are probably the next closest things to an "urban feel" in NoVa. Crystal City is another place to look into.

Further out in NoVa, downtown Fairfax, Fair Oaks, and Reston Town Center are all suburban, but are more walkable and have more "urban" features than some of the other suburban areas.

Honestly, your options aren't that great if you want "urban" in NoVa, unfortunately.

Last edited by DiderotsGhost; 10-21-2009 at 09:52 AM..

Old 10-21-2009, 09:36 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,621,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
North Arlington is suburban with some tiny/shopping areas/strip malls scattered about.

Bethesda is much more urban than NoVA outside of Seven Corners/Baileys Crossing and Old Town Alexandria.
The Rosslyn-Ballston corridor isn't really what I would call "suburban" in nature. The whole corridor has plenty of restaurants and shops to satisfy ones needs, especially in Ballston and Clarendon. Pentagon City also has plenty of shoppping even though it's not really "north Arlington" it's still very close via Metro or by car.

Old Town Alexandria is a good option also but also like north Arlington you will pay dearly to live there.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:34 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,235,907 times
North Arlington has better public schools than Alexandria City.

Alexandria City, specifically Old Town, has a better urban feel IMO than any part of Arlington. Apart from Old Town, there is Del Ray, Alexandria, which has a community feel centered around Mt Vernon Ave, with some shopping, a library, and community center. But again, the downside is the schools - improving, but not (from what I hear) near the quality of north Arlington. I personally may move to Arlington as my children near middle school age. Of course, there are many good private school options if you can go that route.

Old Town is also more similar to Georgetown in terms of density, period of architecture, etc than Arlington is.

I agree with some here that the Ballston-Rosslyn strip is a long stretch of business development along a narrow corridor, but mostly suburban neighborhoods elsewhere. It may be the best for your needs, but as for "city feel" I prefer Old Town.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:15 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,927,574 times
You could try the City of Falls Church. Top schools, lots of yuppie families, sidewalks, and, depending where you live, you could walk to the library, parks, stores, restaurants etc.
But it's fairly spread out, not high-rise like Bethesda.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:18 AM

660 posts, read 1,706,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
North Arlington has better public schools than Alexandria City.

Alexandria City, specifically Old Town, has a better urban feel IMO than any part of Arlington. Apart from Old Town, there is Del Ray, Alexandria, which has a community feel centered around Mt Vernon Ave, with some shopping, a library, and community center. But again, the downside is the schools - improving, but not (from what I hear) near the quality of north Arlington. I personally may move to Arlington as my children near middle school age. Of course, there are many good private school options if you can go that route.

Old Town is also more similar to Georgetown in terms of density, period of architecture, etc than Arlington is.

I agree with some here that the Ballston-Rosslyn strip is a long stretch of business development along a narrow corridor, but mostly suburban neighborhoods elsewhere. It may be the best for your needs, but as for "city feel" I prefer Old Town.
I live in Arlington, about a 15 minute walk from Georgetown, and I agree with this 100%. Arlington is densely populated without necessarily feeling urban. Alexandria feels like a colonial city, on the other hand, much like Georgetown. The schools just don't compare, though.

To the OP, if you don't mind the look and feel of Bethesda, North Arlington is a viable option. The apartment buildings within a few blocks of metro stations tend to be filled with people in their twenties, but the 1920's to 1940's houses in the surrounding neighborhoods have a lot more families.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:26 AM

608 posts, read 1,709,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
You could try the City of Falls Church. Top schools, lots of yuppie families, sidewalks, and, depending where you live, you could walk to the library, parks, stores, restaurants etc.
But it's fairly spread out, not high-rise like Bethesda.
I've always viewed Falls Church as an incoherent blob of 'old sprawl'. There are blocks here and there that feel more urban, but most of it does not feel very urban to me. And by 'old sprawl', I mean, sort of early to mid 20th Century "suburbs" that are not quite as spaced out as late 20th Century suburbs; but are still quite sprawlish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia