Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 07:29 AM

518 posts, read 930,472 times

Advertisements

That is really odd, I had Cox for internet and TV until recently with barely any problems. Whenever there was a huge interruption it was for the TV and not the internet. It may be an equipment problem of some sort. Try taking your equipment in to a COX store and swapping it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 08:54 AM

83 posts, read 196,246 times
We had Comcast cable and internet for a long time with no problems. We now have Verizon FIOS internet and phone (not cable) and are pleased with the service. The only downside to FIOS is that if your power goes out for an extended period of time, you lose the service. But you can get a battery backup (a UPS, for example) to extend the runtime.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:23 AM

461 posts, read 914,126 times
Does anyone know when/what deals are out there for FIOS? It sounds great, but I want to catch the best deal.

Tired of Cox cable. They just switched to a new format for saving shows and deleted a bunch that I had. A clumbsy setup for recording and watching movies from a DVD just got clumbsier. I'm ready to switch.

Also if there are any phone services that stand alone for a decent price. I bundle to save money but am tired of losing everything when the power goes out.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:57 AM

518 posts, read 930,472 times
As for phone service for cheap. I hear the Magic Jack from Best Buy is not too bad.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:09 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,480,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
Does anyone know when/what deals are out there for FIOS? It sounds great, but I want to catch the best deal.
This might help.

Verizon | Digital TV, Broadband Internet, and Phone Packages | FiOS Bundles

Old 11-03-2010, 01:25 PM

230 posts, read 761,334 times
Make sure if you decide to order a Verizon FIOS bundle package that you sign up online. If you call in your order you WILL NOT get the price shown online. This happened to me when I ordered a FIOS package via phone for my daughter's apartment in Richmond. I assumed that I was getting the price listed online but I did not. Lesson learned - always take the time to read the fine print on Verizon offers!

Old 11-03-2010, 02:25 PM

461 posts, read 914,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Actually, I checked out their web site already. I was just wondering if they had special offers at certain times of year or whatever. I don't want to buy a bundle and then hear about a big Christmas special, etc. Thanks though.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:47 PM

738 posts, read 2,967,884 times
Another recommendation for FIOS if it's offered in your area.

We've had it for two years, and the service has been great. We've only had one, maybe two, outages in that time frame. Internet is nice and quick, and the TV is second to none. I know cable and satellite stations are the same HD feed, but it always seems to look crisper on our Fios set than other people's cable.

Only downside is the monthly bill, we have pretty much everything on TV, so it's a bit pricey.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:19 PM

52 posts, read 241,858 times
Cable: Comcast
I was very displeased with my dealings with Comcast, so I called Directv and got a satellite installed. I've been very pleased with my choice, even though I'm locked into a 2-year contract now.

Phone and Internet:
We can choose between Comcast and Verizon. I was disappointed to hear that Verizon couldn't serve my particular apartment unit for some strange reason (something about not enough wires in the building), so I went with Comcast for internet service only. I think it's overpriced, but I didn't really have a choice!

Old 11-03-2010, 08:00 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,238,574 times
Verizon fios if your area or complex can get it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia