Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 06:58 AM

404 posts, read 1,148,173 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Alexandria and I'm looking for BASIC cable. I dont really care for premium channels. I just want ESPN, Discovery, and Travel Channel. I'd be fine with basic analog cable but everything seems to be digital now. Is there anything cheaper than 29.99 a month? If not what provider gives me the best bang for my buck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 07:04 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,727,487 times
They all are required to offer a limited-basic service with nearly all the local channels, though I'm not sure if you'd still get the cable channels you named. Verizon's was about $20/month as of a year ago.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:25 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,894,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloi3eai2 View Post
I just moved to Alexandria and I'm looking for BASIC cable. I dont really care for premium channels. I just want ESPN, Discovery, and Travel Channel. I'd be fine with basic analog cable but everything seems to be digital now. Is there anything cheaper than 29.99 a month? If not what provider gives me the best bang for my buck?
I have basic Cox cable. It has about 15 total channels: ABC NBC CBS FOX PBS, several local government cable channels (ex: City of Falls Church Cable Channel) Speed, WGN and a couple of others. It is analog and costs me 20 bucks a month. Due to the landscape of my area, I cannot properly receive over the air digital free channels or I would do that. (I had the same problem and the same Cox plan in SoCal)

If you want ESPN, etc, those are standard channels, one+steps up from basic service. Usually the companies bundle those into a Phone, internet, Cable grouping that has a cheap introductory price then shoots up in the 2nd year of your contract.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:45 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,384,153 times
If you live in City of Alexandria, your only option for cable is Comcast. Satellite is available if you have a place to mount the satellite.

If you live in the Alexandria section of Fairfax County, Cox is the main provider and Verizon FIOS has most areas wired as well.

For ESPN/Travel/Discovery, you're looking at the Expanded Basic tier, which is a bit under $60 for both Comcast and Cox if I remember correctly.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:16 AM

88 posts, read 192,802 times
Also moving to Alexandria in September. I looked at the Comcast site, and they have a "special" for cable (80+ channels) and internet for $70 for 12 months. However, there is a 2 year agreement. How do those work? Am I not allowed to cancel my service once my 12 months are up? Chances are I'm going to move to another apartment once my 12 months are up.

I'm also looking for a basic no frills cable/internet package. Just want my ESPN, USA, TNT, Foodnetwork, and HGTV for the misses.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:17 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,384,153 times
It varies. Read the fine print. I believe FiOS actually makes you sign a contract, while Cox just guarantees the rate for 2 years. Comcast, I don't remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia