Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 06:16 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,517,019 times

Advertisements

If I-95 traffic is unacceptable then you might want to consider using the VRE (Virginia Railway Express). This is not really an option from Manassas.

And yes, I'd rent for a few months. Will you be working outside the home when you move here? In that case, you may want to move further in -- this depends on your income.

If you dislike sprawl, I doubt you'd like the newer areas around Manassas or the safer areas of central/eastern Prince William County. (BTW, what, to you, defines "sprawl?" I lived in the "city" for several years and grew to hate it, although my choices of exact location didn't help me much.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 06:40 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,247,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's View Post
All great ideas. We are not set in stone on Fredericksburg and will probably rent for about six months to get our bearings. I read on City-Data that Woodbridge has reached its max in growth but will definitely check out Montclair/Ashland. I realize NOVA is a pocket community model where urban sprawl takes the place of community centers. Currently we live in Lexington, Kentucky. There is much commerce here but I can still drive only 15 minutes to downtown on a Saturday morning to walk downtown, hit the Farmer's Market, then sit outside at the Bakery for a pastry and coffee. I have clients in Cincinnati and Louisville so am accustomed to driving 1 - 2 hours to get where I need to be on some days. Traffic in NOVA is terrible. We were there last weekend and Saturday a.m. going south on I-95 was like rush hour during the week on I-64.
I like the Fredericksburg area but not the traffic. Weekends can be a killer around there with the tourists and people using RT 1 to avoid 95. At least in areas around Manassas/Montclair you see much less of that.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:42 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,247,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
If I-95 traffic is unacceptable then you might want to consider using the VRE (Virginia Railway Express). This is not really an option from Manassas.

And yes, I'd rent for a few months. Will you be working outside the home when you move here? In that case, you may want to move further in -- this depends on your income.

If you dislike sprawl, I doubt you'd like the newer areas around Manassas or the safer areas of central/eastern Prince William County. (BTW, what, to you, defines "sprawl?" I lived in the "city" for several years and grew to hate it, although my choices of exact location didn't help me much.)

I may be misreading you but there are three VRE stations in Manassas.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:44 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,587,336 times
I can't tell you where to live, but I can comment on the commute from Fburg. It's not an easy one. I found it to be unpredictable - traffic when there shouldn't be traffic, sometimes at a standstill. From Fburg to Lake Ridge (my commute) took me 45 minutes on a good day, 2 hours on other days. Also, it was a commute full of 18-wheelers, which I really didn't like. I eventually had to quit that job.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:53 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,517,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I may be misreading you but there are three VRE stations in Manassas.
But there's no trains that run from Manassas to Quantico.

Also I don't know if the OP's spouse is planning on staying at home, etc. If so, yeah, moving further in becomes a very good idea. But for the time being?

If I were OP, I'd rent a place in/around Fredericksburg that meets other needs (space, yard, etc.) and re-assess after a while.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:52 AM

4 posts, read 7,286 times
Default Re: Working at Quantico

After more than 30 years in Woodbridge VA, I can honestly say that both Fredericksburg and Manassas are too far from "worK" and "play".

My son in law works at Quantico and lives in Dumfries. Now there are many areas that come under the Dumfries header. In fact, the address is technically Manassas but he is a quick drive away from work.

With easy access to I-95, their home location also allows them to do almost anything they want for fun - from football, baseball, cycling, hiking, theater, museums, restaurants, etc.

With two small children, they also are close to some very good, new schools.
If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer.

Just my two cents worth,
De @ Living In Woodbridge VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's View Post
Hello,

My husband and I are moving from Kentucky to Virginia for a new job at Quantico. We visited Fredericksburg with real estate agent and liked some pockets but are also wondering about Mannassas....

... We are a married couple with no kids but looking to adopt soon after we move.

We like to eat ethnic cuisine, play soccer, do yoga, walk dogs, attend cultural and sports events - pro soccer, museums, etc. We want to feel like we are part of a community but also live more upscale than down.

Thanks for any words of advice from locals.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:31 AM

12 posts, read 45,563 times
I actually have an office within my home so will not have to commute. Just husband commuting to Quantico. Right now his commute is anywhere from 35-40 minutes every morning and maybe longer in the afternoon, depending on what time he gets off.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:43 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,281,522 times
What about Stafford? I would say the great majority of our neighbors work at Quantico.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:19 AM

12 posts, read 45,563 times
Yes actually, our real estate agent in Fredericksburg said he would probably place us in Stafford though our address would be Fredericksburg. Stafford is a short commute, from what I understand, and is a part of the Spotsy-Fred-Staff area.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:26 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,281,522 times
Yes, Stafford would be a fairly easy commute to Quantico. Since we just moved here for me it is still hard to tell where Stafford ends and Fredericksburg starts. For example Rt 17 is not what I would call Stafford yet the new Walmart there is considered Stafford, but only because it is in Stafford county. From what I understand Aquia Harbor is very nice, we settled in N Stafford, we liked the schools better and we are only 3 miles from the commuter lot for my husband. Traffic can be a bear on the weekend for sure, you just have to plan accordingly. FWIW we love it out here, between Stafford, Fredericksburg and Woodbridge it has just about anything I could ever want shopping wise. It offers me a suburban feel but with the amenities that were important to our family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia