Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2012, 12:12 AM

85 posts, read 297,170 times

Advertisements

I know little about Northern Virginia, but it looks like I will be headed there for work. My job will require me to be in Manassas, Quantico, and downtown DC (although DC would be infrequent) at various times. I am looking for recommendations to narrow down my property search. I have two kids, so I would really prefer a house (not a TH or condo) and need good schools. My budget for a house is about $500K, and for that I would like at least 3BR, 2BA, and 2,000 sq ft. Based on what I have seen so far, I am thinking Springfield, Burke, Manassas, and Aquia Harbor are the best options. But, I am looking for some guidance. Any assistance in comparing those areas, comments about housing stock, schools, and advantages/disadvantages is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 02:09 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
Not sure I would choose Springfield if Manassas and Quantico are your primary destinations. I would consider a couple areas in PWC. Bristow and Gainesville. The homes are newer as are most of the schools. Nice neighborhoods and low crime and still close enough to everything. There is a new high school in the Bristow area and talks of a new one are in the works.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:41 AM

722 posts, read 1,922,800 times
My husband works at Quantico, and we live in Bristow (near corner of Linton Hall/Sudley Manor. Right now it takes him about 45 minutes door to door--but exact time will depend on exactly where on base you work. He says it takes him about 1/2 hour to get to the main gate. It's easy driving along 619 with only 3 lights and a stop sign.
He says some of his co-workers that live in Stafford take nearly as long to commute due to traffic, even though mileage wise they are much closer.

We have 4 kids and think the schools are very good. $500,000 will get a you a nice house here.

If you do choose Bristow, there is a VRE station close by for the times you do need to be in DC.

Last edited by HereinVA; 02-04-2012 at 06:50 AM..

Old 02-04-2012, 12:18 PM

982 posts, read 3,486,137 times
If you're going to be working in Manassas, Quantico and DC, I'd suggest the Bristow/Gainesville area. I lived in Bristow for years and recently moved near Quantico...I like where I live now...but I LOVED Bristow. The commute from Bristow/Gainesville to Quantico is easy. There are not many Bristownians or Gainesvillians heading that direction, so traffic won't be a problem. Manassas borders with Bristow, commute time is negligible and getting there is a piece of cake...unless there's an accident, traffic is never heavy. The commute to DC from the Western end of Prince William (Bristow/Manassas/Gainesville) is easier than the Eastern end (Quantico side). I'm not exactly sure why but 95 is a parking lot at some point every single day of the week. That's not the case on 66...you will hit pockets of traffic...but you're moving. VRE and Metro are options to make the commute easier no matter which of the areas you mentioned you finally end up calling home. I was very happy with the school system on the Western end of the county, but I'm happy with the school system on the Eastern end of the county too.

You can get a great, almost new single family home in Victory Lakes (popular "family oriented" neighborhood...it was specifically built for growing families. Schools, activities, beautiful homes and shopping are all contained in a central area) Western Prince William (Bristow/Gainesville/Manassas) for a lot less than what you've budgeted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiskkm View Post
I know little about Northern Virginia, but it looks like I will be headed there for work. My job will require me to be in Manassas, Quantico, and downtown DC (although DC would be infrequent) at various times. I am looking for recommendations to narrow down my property search. I have two kids, so I would really prefer a house (not a TH or condo) and need good schools. My budget for a house is about $500K, and for that I would like at least 3BR, 2BA, and 2,000 sq ft. Based on what I have seen so far, I am thinking Springfield, Burke, Manassas, and Aquia Harbor are the best options. But, I am looking for some guidance. Any assistance in comparing those areas, comments about housing stock, schools, and advantages/disadvantages is appreciated.

Last edited by Tish Thompson; 02-04-2012 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: Clarity

Old 02-04-2012, 12:52 PM

85 posts, read 297,170 times
Thanks for the advice so far. I reviewed the homes in Bristow and Gainesville and they look great. How do those communities compare to each other? Also, what is the benefit of living there versus Manassas itself?

Old 02-04-2012, 04:06 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiskkm View Post
Thanks for the advice so far. I reviewed the homes in Bristow and Gainesville and they look great. How do those communities compare to each other? Also, what is the benefit of living there versus Manassas itself?

In reality Gainesville and Bristow kind of meld together and are very similar. Bristow is primarily residential area and Gainesville has residential as well as more business. You really can't go wrong with either. Just keep in mind the road construction (RT 29) that has been going on forever in Gainesville and can be a PITA. Once done things will return to normal. Schools are good in both areas although I'm no longer familiar with the boundaries and check to see if Stonewall Jackson HS is in the district. If so I'd recommend choosing another area.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:30 PM

142 posts, read 272,988 times
Most anything on the east side of Linton Hall Rd will be Stonewall jackson school district. While it has had a checkered past, Stonewall High has made a good turn around over the last two years. Everything no the west side of Linton Hall Rd is Patriot High School. It's brand new so you won't see any reviews for it, but I can tell you, it's the most beautiful and well run school I've ever experienced. My oldest goes there.

If you're going to be down at Quantico, I might suggest moving a bit further south than Bristow. The house below is one that I would recommend given the location and schools.

12564 CLAWSON Ln, MANASSAS, VA 20112 | MLS# PW7736326

I know it's under contract, but it gives you an idea on where to start looking. That will shave 15-20 mins off your Quantico commute, still be local to Manassas, and be in a good school area.

I would also recommend the link below to get a sense on the school lines.
Facilities Services - School Boundary Maps

You can enter any address and determine what school services that address
Prince William County Public Schools, Northern Virginia

As far as the advantages of Manassas v Bristow v Gainesville...Manassas is an area that did not age well. Most of the communities are 1960-1970 era, with some newer neighborhoods mixed in. There are pockets of nice homes surrounded by apt complexes and older housing. Schools are dated and most of the population are lower income. It just looks run down. Crime rate is higher than the surrounding area. The main drag through retail Manassas, Hwy 234, is a mish-mash of strip malls that are a mix of old, run-down malls and newer developments. I avoid it most days.

As mentioned already, Bristow and Gainesville appear to be the same area. It is clean, well-planned, and modern. There are strict controls on commercial construction. Houses are plentiful. You can get a very nice home for less than $100 per sq ft.

At a budget of $500k, you have a lot of options.

Last edited by Ben 'n Jen; 02-04-2012 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: update

Old 02-05-2012, 03:28 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,263,242 times
New Bristow Village would be convenient for VRE and a short drive to Manassas. The housing stock in Bristow/Gainesville is all fairly new (all in the last 15 years) and you might be surprised by the lack of mature tress, etc. I would 2nd the advice regarding Gainesville and 29. I would not pick a development where you would need to exit onto Lee Highway that is located south of the interchange.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:54 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Maybe you could check out some communites at the other end of route 234 such as Montclair, Ashland, and Meadowbrook Woods. I'm thinking of the stretch from I95 to Manassas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia