Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 10:38 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,107,166 times

Advertisements

You create the situation that results in your being harassed. You are not the Villain, but if you put yourself out there then you will be attacked. Welcome to the club, it comes with the territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 11:11 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,957,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Well when you get harassing e-mails sent to you from people on this sub-forum like this:

"You are the only mentally ill person on the NEPA forum. You were never wanted there and you still aren't - so do us all a big favor and leave! I've never seen a person who is so completely full of himself and so totally clueless at the same time!"

Or this:

"Good riddance, don't let the door hit you on the way out. Virginia's loss is NEPA's gain!!!!!!!! YAY!!! No more wacko lunatic psycho boy!"

Along with someone creating alternative Facebook profiles to slam you into the ground due to your sexual orientation, people stalking you onto other forums, etc., then how would you honestly EXPECT me to react? It's not my fault this sub-forum is now in the sorry state it's in full of such miserable people who have axes to grind because all of the positive contributors have left.
Oh please, you know full well that those Facebook pages were NOT designed because you're gay. You know what behaviors lead to those pages. No, they weren't nice, and they shouldn't have been set up, you know why they did it, and it's not because you're gay, or Italian, or whatever.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:17 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,340,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Oh please, you know full well that those Facebook pages were NOT designed because you're gay. You know what behaviors lead to those pages. No, they weren't nice, and they shouldn't have been set up, you know why they did it, and it's not because you're gay, or Italian, or whatever.

And this ^^^ is why I stay anonymous online.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:54 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,011,361 times
In all my years of getting into debates and arguments online (I cut my teeth on the Yahoo news message boards) I have never experienced the level of whining and victimizing (? not sure if that's the word I want) that I see here.

I had trolls impersonate my online persona back in the day - it was annoying at first until all the regulars discovered it was a troll. It was then funny. Then I made a troll of myself impersonating the troll impersonating me...ha ha - it got ridiculous and then eventually went away.

It seems that some people ENJOY the negative drama and take it WAY TOO SERIOUSLY otherwise why would they spend so much time whining and complaining about it publicly? I hid one persons FB updates because they were constant whine fests about someone who was being harrassing. The best way to stop someone from harrassing you is to pull the plug on their power - don't let them know it gets to you, don't whine about it online, just ignore it, don't read the texts, don't read the emails, and if it continues alert the authorities.

Life is too short and this cyberspace here is NOT life. If it ceases to be enjoyable then move on to something else. I have left message boards in the past for that reason - either I grew bored with it, or I didn't enjoy it anymore, or it became an unpleasant experience - I am not one to wallow around in an unpleasant environment and wonder why it's unpleasant - I JUST LEAVE AND FIND SOMETHING PLEASANT TO DO.

I pop in and out of Talkbalk, I pop in and out of here, I'm on facebook more than anything because I ENJOY IT. I have a few real estate boards I go to when I have time....

BUT MOST OF MY TIME IS SPENT ENJOYING THE REAL WORLD - the world outside my door, the world apart from my computer.

TRY IT - you may like it.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:50 AM

19 posts, read 32,424 times
i am new to these boards, but from reading this thread it seems like a lot of people revert back to the jr high days when they talk online. either that or there are a lot of children here? i think the anonymity can sometimes be a negative.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:28 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,966,413 times
I visit this group because from time to time, there have been some pretty good debates that have not disintegrated into disharmony or required a mod to step in. It's been my experience that most of the posters are adults with varying points of view who don't see the need to disagree disagreeably.

Unfortunately, even disagreeing with a poster's POV is interpreted as a personal attack, when in fact, is not the intention.

When the conversation becomes hostile, I am not a captive, and I go elsewhere.

I guess I'm old enough that epithets aimed at me by someone I've never even met, let alone who thinks they know what I think, won't make one bit of difference in my life. I've survived heart surgery and cancer, not to mention raising five sons. What's a little insult from a troll? Pfffft.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:30 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,645,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
This forum sucks anyway, the Mods can have it all to themselves. Hey, aren't we far enough off topic to have this thread closed?

Ditto

Old 04-26-2010, 10:09 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,404,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPAbuzzdotcom View Post
i am new to these boards, but from reading this thread it seems like a lot of people revert back to the jr high days when they talk online. either that or there are a lot of children here? i think the anonymity can sometimes be a negative.
Yes, I think there is a certain problem with the anonymity that causes people to write things they wouldn't say to a person face to face, however, I don't see that as a problem only on this board, but on the internet in general at times.

I've met a lot of people here that I'd consider friends and have learned a lot from others as well. As long as the positive experiences outweigh the negatives, I'll continue on. And there is a lot of good here. I just ignore what isn't.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:04 AM

208 posts, read 651,697 times
Wow! Not much activity for a while and look how many responses this new topic has drawn.

I have to say that as a relative "newbie" I am extremely disappointed by this whole conversation. The name-calling and finger-pointing are disheartening, but more than that is the fact that several of you said you'd prefer not to be here.

You were all very helpful to me when we were relocating here. You provided valuable information and opinions that helped me choose the place that seemed to be the best fit for my family. You have also been very helpful in offering assistance with area information, etc. Can't we just be helpful to each other and offer opinions on topics without nastiness? While there have been times on here when I was frustrated, too, I always choose to come back and visit this forum. I have offered information when I could and used information that was posted to others. I may not always agree with the opinions posted but respect them.

My membership to Facebook is restricted to people I already know, not people that I chat with online but do not know face-to-face. That is my personal choice. I should not have to join the CD Facebook group to speak about a topic or offer/receive helpful information. Unfortunately, there are so many psychos out there today (and I am NOT saying that anyone on this forum is a psycho!) that we need to be careful how much of ourselves we expose.

Please don't abandon this forum because you don't like someone or their opinions. You have been very helpful to myself and many others who have preceded me and will follow behind me.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:09 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,627,443 times
I think in the big picture there have been some spirited debates here, very enlightening, but there's only a very few who get their panties in a bunch and complain / report to mods... by and large most get along here fine..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania