Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 06:16 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I was not aware that FedEx took over the logistics for Johnson and Johnson. I see now that happened in 2014. Does that mean that they manage that building or is J&J still in charge?
Fedex are not the only one doing logistics for J& J. ABF does it also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 06:24 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Fedex are not the only one doing logistics for J& J. ABF does it also.

It is possible that FedEx might have a shortage of equipment available at the time it is needed? Is ABF also in the warehouse with FedEx or are they simply dispatched to pickup and receive trailers?

It has always been hard to plan ahead in the freight business. You buy or rent too much equipment and all of your profits go to the banks. It is better to rent just when you need it or outsource if you have to.

So I presume that you're pretty busy up there now. This is prime time to make it in the freight business.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
It is possible that FedEx might have a shortage of equipment available at the time it is needed? Is ABF also in the warehouse with FedEx or are they simply dispatched to pickup and receive trailers?

It has always been hard to plan ahead in the freight business. You buy or rent too much equipment and all of your profits go to the banks. It is better to rent just when you need it or outsource if you have to.

So I presume that you're pretty busy up there now. This is prime time to make it in the freight business.
ABF are in Wilkes Barre (hubby works there) and they go to J & J all the time.

We are always busy at work. Overtime is not questioned at all. ABF on the other hand are quiet. Three guys retired last year and they haven't replaced them yet.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:56 AM

Quote:
ABF are in Wilkes Barre (hubby works there) and they go to J & J all the time.

We are always busy at work. Overtime is not questioned at all. ABF on the other hand are quiet. Three guys retired last year and they haven't replaced them yet.

FedEx is in a class almost by itself. UPS is close behind; but not that close. ABF is holding fairly steady with their stock prices. My old YRC is trading below $10/share and I did not feel that they would stay in business when I left back in 2002. Their stock was down back then; which was a small consideration whether I should have stayed with them and followed my job. Anyway; I am glad I did what I did at the time I did it.

Roadway and CF had terminals up there by your husband. I forget how close? I also forget if Roadway closed that terminal or if it stayed open?

Old 09-10-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
FedEx is in a class almost by itself. UPS is close behind; but not that close. ABF is holding fairly steady with their stock prices. My old YRC is trading below $10/share and I did not feel that they would stay in business when I left back in 2002. Their stock was down back then; which was a small consideration whether I should have stayed with them and followed my job. Anyway; I am glad I did what I did at the time I did it.

Roadway and CF had terminals up there by your husband. I forget how close? I also forget if Roadway closed that terminal or if it stayed open?
I don't know if Roadway closed. ABF would be great if they had a decent manager. Oh boy ; he came from a clerical position right up to manager and hasn't a clue what he is doing. So far, hubby has been working consistently so fingers crossed it keeps up.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
I don't know if Roadway closed. ABF would be great if they had a decent manager. Oh boy ; he came from a clerical position right up to manager and hasn't a clue what he is doing. So far, hubby has been working consistently so fingers crossed it keeps up.

It would not be Roadway; it would now be YRC. They changed the name after Yellow bought them out.

Great to hear that they are keeping your hubby working. Our freight used to slow down about the second week of December. But, for us, we had many factories we supplied and they would shut down for inventory around the holidays. ABF could have a different market.

Have you experienced the fog on the top of the hill? It gets pretty dense from time to time. You actually have better visibility sitting high in a big truck than you do sitting low in our private vehicles. It is a good reason to try to find a big guy to follow, at a safe distance, when you are in that pea soup! For the first years I worked at your location we lived in Stroudsburg and I remember coming down the hill to blue skies. Of course sometimes it is the opposite and you are clear up there - but not normally. Be safe!

Old 11-07-2018, 05:22 PM

"American Tire Distributors, a North Carolina based company, held its grand opening at New Ventures Park on Commerical Boulevard."https://wnep.com/2018/11/07/tire-warehouse-opens-in-the-poconos/

They will employee about 70 at this location. I presume that most of those jobs have been filled; of course it never hurts to ask. Moving tires is not for everybody; it is a dirty hard job and the tires do have an odor (especially if you're talking about a million of them). But it might pay a decent wage?

Old 11-08-2018, 08:43 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,146,709 times
Quote:
But it might pay a decent wage?
Decent wage?? Sure....if they don't have a high school diploma and $10/hour sounds appealing....moving tires around regardless of the quantity isn't going to pay a "decent wage".....

Old 11-08-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Decent wage?? Sure....if they don't have a high school diploma and $10/hour sounds appealing....moving tires around regardless of the quantity isn't going to pay a "decent wage".....
You do know that many Manpower jobs starts at $15/ hour. I am just guessing but I would think that tire warehouse pays between $15 and $18/hr to start - it could be more. I was getting $20/hr working for Manpower before quitting because of my wife's deteriorating health.

Of course I do wish that it was like in the old days where companies actually advertised in the newspaper. Of course we no longer have a 'working' newspaper since it is managed out of Middletown, NY. You can use PA Career Link to check out what is available: https://www.pacareerlink.pa.gov/jponline/.

I know there are many low paying jobs in our area; but there is no reason to take one of those jobs if you can find something better. You never really know until you ask. Just because a person takes a low paying job does not mean that they cannot continue to look - I always did regardless of the pay.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:23 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,146,709 times
I know there are many low paying jobs in our area; but there is no reason to take one of those jobs if you can find something better. - Agreed....but there aren't any better jobs out here.....

You never really know until you ask. Just because a person takes a low paying job does not mean that they cannot continue to look - I always did regardless of the pay. - I might have to....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania