Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 03:17 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boney89 View Post
Only rumors get to me.We find out sonner or later

I have bugged our Senator to try and expedite more freight terminals/trucking companies into our area. While it would be hard to get new terminals in the southern and eastern areas of our County; north 611 and west 940 still have some large open spaces that could be used for this purpose. My feeling is that our County does not want more of these jobs that could drive up the prevailing wages. But that is just my feeling. One would think that close to 80 and 380 would be a good area or the western edge of Monroe that is close to 80 or the Turnpike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 06:13 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I was waiting to find out what was going to happen to that old gas station. It has set there for some time. It's a good location; I don't remember how much land is with the station? They leased the track of land to CF that FedEx sits on. I think he gave CF a 99 year lease. The old guy, that owned the old gas station, was a smart businessman. I believe his daughter took over when he died. I remember her asking for the head of one of our drivers that had hit and killed her German Shepard. They let it run and it ran under one of our trucks coming into the terminal. There is a good chance that our driver never knew he hit the dog since the dog could have been killed by the back wheels of the set of pups? I forget how it turned out; but she was POed and wanted blood. My feeling was that she was just as responsible since she left her dog, that liked to chase trucks, lose.
Yes, it was her fault for leaving her dog run loose.

There is a farmers market there at least twice a week that seems to do great business. But you are right ; its a great location ; just off 380, close to 80.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
I have seen plenty of their trucks on the road. I just never really thought about 'NFI'. Did they have plans to build a terminal up there?
NFI do team driving, however you need to have experience.

Old 08-19-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Yes, it was her fault for leaving her dog run loose.

There is a farmers market there at least twice a week that seems to do great business. But you are right ; its a great location ; just off 380, close to 80.

In that article, I had posted about the proposed changes, they mention restaurants and motels. I am just trying to picture where and what they have in mind? I have pulled up the intersection on Google Earth and there are places that could be developed including a sizable piece of land just to the west of your terminal. There is also one piece of land between the southbound exit to 380 and Long Pond Road. The old gas station property, not the existing one across the street, does not have a large enough acreage for a good size motel.

The large track of land to the west of FedEx would be large enough for another trucking company; it looks bigger than the FedEx property. Of course it is possible the school owns some of that land? I used to talk to the man that owned all of that property and now I cannot remember his name. I think it was Hoffner. But I we also had another gas station owner down in Stroudsburg that had that name and I might have the two confused?

One problem that bridge has over Route 380 is it is pitched into the turn. But when there is black ice on that bridge and you exit Route 380 as you are coming north from 80 and you want to go west on 940, you can slide into the bridge. Sometimes it get's so slippery, that with that slant, even at very slow speeds, it is hard not to hit the side of the bridge. It normally is not a problem; but it is always something to remember when you approach from that side during ice storms. At sometime in the future I wish they would widen that bridge and then change the slant.

PS When boney89 said nfi I had no idea that he meant the trucking company. Even though I have seen plenty of their trucks on the road; it just did not ring any bells. I thought it was some internet slang?

Old 08-19-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I have bugged our Senator to try and expedite more freight terminals/trucking companies into our area. While it would be hard to get new terminals in the southern and eastern areas of our County; north 611 and west 940 still have some large open spaces that could be used for this purpose. My feeling is that our County does not want more of these jobs that could drive up the prevailing wages. But that is just my feeling. One would think that close to 80 and 380 would be a good area or the western edge of Monroe that is close to 80 or the Turnpike.
Said are also extending into Pennsylvania. They were hiring big time in Pittsburgh. I think this area is ripe for more trucking companies. Thats all I see when I am going to work at midnight

Old 08-19-2018, 10:14 AM

93 posts, read 150,381 times
Seem to me optimism is coming back to ne pa.
Wonder if politics have anything to do with It?

Old 08-19-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Said are also extending into Pennsylvania. They were hiring big time in Pittsburgh. I think this area is ripe for more trucking companies. Thats all I see when I am going to work at midnight

You aren't trying to get me confused again Instead of Said you mean Saia? Between boney and your I am starting to feel like I have been out of trucking a very long time! Just kidding!

Actually, when I look at their stock market graph, this is what I like to see: https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/saia/interactive-chart. Since about 2002 they have consistently improved.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsa View Post
Seem to me optimism is coming back to ne pa.
Wonder if politics have anything to do with It?

Of course it does. Now if we could only get them to turn their attention on the better paying jobs and away from service jobs!

PS Welcome to the forum!

Old 08-19-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
You aren't trying to get me confused again Instead of Said you mean Saia? Between boney and your I am starting to feel like I have been out of trucking a very long time! Just kidding!

Actually, when I look at their stock market graph, this is what I like to see: https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/saia/interactive-chart. Since about 2002 they have consistently improved.
Darn spellcheck. Yes, Saia is who I meant.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Darn spellcheck. Yes, Saia is who I meant.

Have you noticed what I have told you about the stocks of these companies? Companies, like this (Sala) company, Old Dominion or FedEx are companies that we should bend over backwards to offer incentives into our area. We need companies with a long track record of success.

Keep in mind how cold it gets up there and how quick it gets cold; especially working nights. Many times you will see snow long before the lower elevations of our County. It is also a consideration for all of this new investment; you don't want visitors to walk too far when it really gets cold. You have a relatively short walk (250 to 500 foot walk) from your parking lot to your terminal; but when the cold winds blow it seems like miles. When the temperatures dip below zero and the winds howl over 20mph it can take your breath away. I do not know if this will hurt Kalahari or the new Ripley's park. They will have to worry about transports if the lots are designed too far away; otherwise tourist might not want to come back if all they remember is how cold they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania