Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 05:34 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,853,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

PS When boney89 said nfi I had no idea that he meant the trucking company. Even though I have seen plenty of their trucks on the road; it just did not ring any bells. I thought it was some internet slang?
Heck, Fish...if it isn't, it soon will be...I like this site:

https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/NFI

and even

https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/NFiPA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 05:58 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post

and even

Thank! Yes there are good sites; but it would not have helped me because I had no idea he was taking about a trucking company at that time. Maybe my mind just wasn't working?

What did you hear about the company moving in? And what company is using the space across from the airport for parking?

Old 08-20-2018, 07:22 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times
Quote:
Have you noticed what I have told you about the stocks of these companies? Companies, like this (Sala) company, Old Dominion or FedEx are companies that we should bend over backwards to offer incentives into our area. We need companies with a long track record of success.

Keep in mind how cold it gets up there and how quick it gets cold; especially working nights. Many times you will see snow long before the lower elevations of our County. It is also a consideration for all of this new investment; you don't want visitors to walk too far when it really gets cold. You have a relatively short walk (250 to 500 foot walk) from your parking lot to your terminal; but when the cold winds blow it seems like miles. When the temperatures dip below zero and the winds howl over 20mph it can take your breath away. I do not know if this will hurt Kalahari or the new Ripley's park. They will have to worry about transports if the lots are designed too far away; otherwise tourist might not want to come back if all they remember is how cold they were.
I agree ; I think to entice companies to stay or just to set up shop, there needs to be lots of incentives.
Working where I work, and doing what I do (dockworker), most of my coworkers are fantastic. They are so helpful, funny and hard working. It is refreshing to see so many hardworking people that are willing to help others. I love that many of them are from all over.

They are supposed to be building another 100 doors here, and with that, comes a lot of code upgrades including sprinklers. Because it gets so cold, rumor is that we are also getting heat on the dock!! Notice I said rumor.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
I agree ; I think to entice companies to stay or just to set up shop, there needs to be lots of incentives.
Working where I work, and doing what I do (dockworker), most of my coworkers are fantastic. They are so helpful, funny and hard working. It is refreshing to see so many hardworking people that are willing to help others. I love that many of them are from all over.

They are supposed to be building another 100 doors here, and with that, comes a lot of code upgrades including sprinklers. Because it gets so cold, rumor is that we are also getting heat on the dock!! Notice I said rumor.

Hopefully you will get heat. However we were fighting that battle back in the 1970's when CF first opened. In the meantime prepare for the worst. Hopefully you will never get another five cold days like I experienced up there in the 1980's - five days the temperature did not go over zero and the night time temperatures went down to -20 or colder. We also had no airbags on the doors to stop the cold winds and snow from coming in on the dock; you do (so that helps). But, today, we have Al Gore and global warming (so maybe you will never experience another winter like that one).

I hope you get another hundred doors. That would mean additional jobs for our area. Let us know if you hear anything else about the extra doors. The one thing I am not sure of is where they would build the extra doors? Possibly they bought or leased more land?

Old 08-20-2018, 08:39 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,853,348 times
Quote:
Thank! Yes there are good sites; but it would not have helped me because I had no idea he was taking about a trucking company at that time. Maybe my mind just wasn't working?

What did you hear about the company moving in? And what company is using the space across from the airport for parking?
Sorry, this topic is out of my physical and awareness area...

The 'acronym finder' is more in my space. I thought you (and others who may not be aware...) might like it.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Sorry, this topic is out of my physical and awareness area...

The 'acronym finder' is more in my space. I thought you (and others who may not be aware...) might like it.

I do like it and will use it. It was just I had a brain freeze when I first saw that post. Thank you!

Old 08-20-2018, 04:55 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:

and even

I like No Freaking Idea. That's how I feel about most of the acronyms used here on C-D.

I don't know what many of them mean.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Hopefully you will get heat. However we were fighting that battle back in the 1970's when CF first opened. In the meantime prepare for the worst. Hopefully you will never get another five cold days like I experienced up there in the 1980's - five days the temperature did not go over zero and the night time temperatures went down to -20 or colder. We also had no airbags on the doors to stop the cold winds and snow from coming in on the dock; you do (so that helps). But, today, we have Al Gore and global warming (so maybe you will never experience another winter like that one).

I hope you get another hundred doors. That would mean additional jobs for our area. Let us know if you hear anything else about the extra doors. The one thing I am not sure of is where they would build the extra doors? Possibly they bought or leased more land?
They have more land to the right of the terminal. They were supposed to be breaking ground two weeks ago, but I don't know.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
They have more land to the right of the terminal. They were supposed to be breaking ground two weeks ago, but I don't know.

I forget; do they have 300 doors now? I might have gotten confused over the years since I worked at three different terminals; but I did spend the most number of years at that location. It seems to me that we had originally 100 doors and then we added 200 to that. Then we burned down 100 with gun powder! Nine 55 gallon drums of nitrocellulose caught on fire one night about five minutes after I left. It was one of the few times I ever worked 2nd shift. One man took a forklift into the trailer and lifted up a pallet on top of the drums and he caught the one drum lid and removed it. Nitrocellulose comes packed with either and the either fumes followed the forklift out the trailer and ignited when they hit the motor. If I recall correctly it might have even been an electric forklift? One man was walking up the dock at the time it happened and he said that he saw a blue flame from the back of the forklift that went into the trailer and then a huge orange flame came out. We were very lucky nobody died that night. Everybody ran away from the flames; but they said the flames were moving faster than they were over their heads (against the roof of the dock). It sacred many of the workers and understandably so. That trailer took off almost like a jet engine. There was a foreman's stand lined up with the back of the trailer and at that time now foreman was on the stand; usually there was one or more people on the stand. The flames immediately consumed the stand and shot all the way over to the other side of the dock and into that trailer; which fortunately at that time also did not have somebody it! At least we rebuilt.

Keep us posted on the ground breaking. I am curious if they bought or leased all that land to the right of the terminal. There is a lot of land over there; maybe enough to have two or three terminals the size of the current one.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:28 PM

There are 200 doors now. I think they have started on building another 100 doors. Its been crazy busy ; always opportunities for over time. I do about 10 a week for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania