Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:39 AM

18 posts, read 39,142 times

Advertisements

We are considering buying a house in the pocono mountain lake estates community in dingmans ferry and in the sellers disclosure it states that the house is not hooked up to a community water supply but uses a private well. Is this the norm in PA? Is it less safe than a public water supply? Are the costs higher? What is the maintenance like?

Personally, would you pass on a house if it didn't have public water supply?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 01:37 PM

2,469 posts, read 2,769,016 times
I have a well as our community does not have public water/sewer. The water is hard so we add salt pellets to the tank every couple of weeks and we're good to go.

Our home inspector tested the water as part of the process and it deemed safe to drink/bathe, etc. We don't though as it seems to bother our stomachs. Bothers the dogs too it seems. Far as cost, it doesn't cost us anything outside of the price of heating it for bathing.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:45 PM

30,559 posts, read 16,251,943 times
Actually I don't think I've ever lived in a place that had public water. Get the well tested before buying (usually done as part of buyers agreement).

Old 08-20-2013, 06:57 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,148,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evelina420 View Post
Is this the norm in PA? Is it less safe than a public water supply?
For any home not in the city limits yes it is the norm...you can have the water tested also...ask the real estate agent for locations where you can take it...I think you can also do it via mail order but not sure...Google it...

Old 08-20-2013, 08:15 AM

30 posts, read 69,332 times
In this area, wells are more normal to have than community/city water (plus you won't pay an additional water bill!). Well water is better tasting, pure and does not have added chemicals. When you have the home inspected prior to purchase, make sure the inspector looks at the well. They will make sure the pump is running correctly and will test the water for you (measure bacteria level, etc.). If you still want additional water tests done, the Penn State Extension office in Milford (Pike County) will do a test for you. Their phone number is 570-296-3400. Your realtor should be able to give you literature regarding wells and how they function or I'm sure you can find lots of information on-line.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:46 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,854,748 times
Just as an FYI, Wilkes University is big in water testing and related topics. Try Googling "Wilkes water testing" or something similar. You'll get some useful links. Here are two:

The first is a link to a water quality booklet from their site, quite detailed maybe all you ever want to know and more about water. There is much more on water and related environmental topics at their site and related sites such as the second link.

http://wilkes.edu/Include/WaterResea...klet070610.pdf

Brian Oram Professional Geologist Wilkes University Environmental Quality Center

Old 08-20-2013, 08:48 AM

5,305 posts, read 6,193,233 times
On the whole, water from private wells is safe to drink and the taste is good. The cost in electricity to pump up the water (submersible pump is the best, avoid "jet pumps") is minimal. Once every 10 years or so depending on use, you might have to replace the pump.

When your house is in close proximity to other homes with septic tanks, it is important to test for coliform bacteria. http://www.seewaldlabs.com/images/Do...ellProfile.pdf This is what a testing lab recommends as a basic test. If you want to be totally safe, there are a lot of other contaminants that you can test for like arsenic, manganese, sulfur and dissolved radon. It is also important to have "chain of custody" of the water sample in case the water is contaminated. The seller may reject that part of the water inspection clause in your sales contract if you decide to opt out of the contract and can't show "chain of custody."

Old 08-20-2013, 09:58 AM

18 posts, read 39,142 times
What about the water pressure? Are there problems with that and can they easily be fixed?

I have a few friends that live in PA and they advised me to "make sure the hous ehas access to public water"...

Old 08-20-2013, 11:30 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,092,930 times
Quote:
Personally, would you pass on a house if it didn't have public water supply?
I lived in an area that had public water for 35 years, I'd never go back. Don't get me wrong here, the public water systems in this area have great quality but a good private well is fantastic. Keep in mind most public water systems are surface water and that water then has chlorine added to it. You get used to the taste but what a difference when you haven't used it years. <yuck>

The one thing you have to be careful about is sulfur, be sure to run the system for while. If it has sulfur you'll smell it. It's not going to harm you but stinks bad. There is ways to mitigate that but I wouldn't want a house with a well like that.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:34 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,092,930 times
Quote:
What about the water pressure? Are there problems with that and can they easily be fixed?

I have a few friends that live in PA and they advised me to "make sure the hous ehas access to public water"...
There is no issues with water pressure. I don't know why someone would advise you not to have a well. You lose the water bill but now you're the water company, you'll need to be prepared for replacing or fixing the well yourself. I don't know how the costs work vs. public water but it's probably about the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania