Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 03:59 PM

4 posts, read 5,986 times

Advertisements

I am African American, and my wife is Asian. What areas of PA, might we be able to live in securely. I'd like to purchase an acre or so. I was thinking Amish country, because they are God-fearin people, and less disposed to some of the social psychopathy, so prominent in U.S. history.

Any suggestions, what rural towns, or counties might be good for us. We like nature, and peace.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 04:15 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,174,708 times
I guess you have not watched " Amish Mafia " On tv yet eh ?

Old 03-08-2013, 04:24 PM

109 posts, read 163,927 times
hahaha good one Riverside was thinking the same thing when I was reading this post

Old 03-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Status: "Democracies tend to decline into despotism. (Aristotle)" (set 11 days ago)

16,231 posts, read 11,464,005 times
The "Amish counrty" around Lancaster is not a true representation of the beliefs of the "old order" Amish, who are ctually dispersed over a much wider area that includes places as far away as Indiana and Iowa. And the Amish themselves are a branch of the Mennonites an are divided into "church Amish" and "house Amish" -- the latter group are much more un-worldly.

Realistically, if you are concenred about moving away from the big cities due to possible societal decay -- I would say most rural areas would suit your needs if you got to know a few of the people there first. Most people in farm communities aren't prejudiced, once they know that they're dealing with somebody who lives responsibly and understands the special concerns of people who live closer to the land.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:32 PM

4 posts, read 5,986 times
Thank you second, think yours is one of the most intelligent responses I have had yet. Yes, you hit my concern right on the head. Also, I am an unworldly type myself, no TV, NO HOUSE phone, and working on chucking all of it, if I could, including the car. Satan can take back all his crap, far as I am concerned,lol.

Sadly, going off the demonic radar is not as easy as one might think, but...at least if I could find a place to possibly grow some veggies, in peace, without the children of the devil nearby, I'd be in great shape. At least I am trying. Thanks again, really appreciate the sincere answer.

I was also wondering if you might elaborate on th special concerns, and I thank you kindly.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:46 AM

5,317 posts, read 6,294,316 times
Sweetpealove, care to disclose where you live now? If it's NYC or Philly, how many hours distant would you consider for your homestead? Do you want a truly rural location or do you prefer being near to a town of sufficient size for shopping, dining out, banking and medical services? PA has many different regions populated by people with varied mindsets.

The Amish aren't the nice people that you think they are. They are clannish, insular, treat their horses badly and run America's largest "puppy mills." I'd stay away from predominantly Amish country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania