Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 02:39 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Welcome to the area! I think the places that you have chosen are safe and have good schools. I see your preference is for older homes, as is mine; and other than Wyoming, Dallas and Mountain Top are not known for their older, historic homes.

They are pretty, in a rural ex-urban way. Not particularly historic and lots of new construction.

I'm a huge fan of Kingston, and eventually, we are headed there or to Forty-Fort. We will keep this house as an investment. I do like some areas in the city of Wilkes-Barre. However, my kids are high school age and one will be off to college. We wil be adding to our family through adoption though, so schools are still an issue.

Wilkes-Barre City is pretty and historic. There are many things that I enjoy here. The presence of two institutions of higher learning, some beautiful examples of late 19th C - through 1920s architecture, some nice parks, a revitalized water front, local festivals and the farmer's market.

There is an artistic and cultural scene too. People are anxious to meet others with interests such as yours.

If private schools are a possibility for you, I would certainly not rule out Wilkes-Barre. That is the route we took when moving here. Nor would I rule out Kingston or Forty-Fort. They are lovely inner ring suburbs with beautiful homes and safe, walkable streets.

With the type of housing you prefer, It's hard to see you happy in Mountain Top - a mixture of McMansions, neglected rural smaller homes, mobile homes, and quickly built bi-levels and other tract houses. There is no central town.

Dallas does not fare better. Schools are good in both areas though.

If I can be of any help to you, please send me a direct message.
If everyone goes private, how will public schools ever improve?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 02:45 PM

7 posts, read 9,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
If everyone goes private, how will public schools ever improve?
If everyone goes to private, taxes will go down

Old 07-03-2012, 05:43 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,101,492 times
Thats not how it works around here, sorry. If the middle class all goes private the schools will still grow as will the taxes. Except it will be full of the trash of the area.

My advice, take advice from those that have lived here for more then 2 years. You'll get a better knowledge base and more factual information.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:38 PM

452 posts, read 682,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty0n View Post
Bingo!!! You have the perfect mind set to thrive here.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:39 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,959,151 times
Quote:
I don't think so. There will be a demand for vouchers for private school tuition and the state legislature will happily pass the required legislation. Only difference is you'll be financing everybody else's kids with your tax dollars.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I don't think so. There will be a demand for vouchers for private school tuition and the state legislature will happily pass the required legislation. Only difference is you'll be financing everybody else's kids with your tax dollars.
I was joking. If everybody went to private then nobody would be going to public

Old 07-04-2012, 01:10 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Since moving here and seeing how bad schools can actually be, I'm not against vouchers.

I don't know how public schools can improve. That's an answer that is WAAAYYYY beyond my scope.

If people have the resources to afford independents schools in the city of Wilkes-Barre, and they want or need to live here, I'd recommend that they do that.

They safety and education of my children trump my political or social beliefs.

Redeemer has been great for my kids. As a middle class person I can afford that and it's worth any little sacrifice we may make.

Last edited by sheena12; 07-04-2012 at 01:23 PM..

Old 07-04-2012, 01:29 PM

I'd prefer public schools but my wife likes the catholic setting so private schools are an option. While we are on schools, does anyone know the cut off date to begin school? My son was born September 26 and cut off here in Wisconsin in Sept. 1. Michigan is December 31.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Since moving here and seeing how bad schools can actually be, I'm not against vouchers.

I don't know how public schools can improve. That's an answer that is WAAAYYYY beyond my scope.

If people have the resources to afford independents schools in the city of Wilkes-Barre, and they want or need to live here, I'd recommend that they do that.

They safety and education of my children trump my political or social beliefs.

Redeemer has been great for my kids. As a middle class person I can afford that and it's worth any little sacrifice we may make.
Public schooling is a right and something all Americans should support. I consider myself middle class and we could never afford a private school.

Public schools can improve by people - parents, teachers, the community - being involved and invested in their local schools. People do not realize that when we have good schools, we have a good community. It is in the best interest of all to support your local schools.

I have little concern for my children's safety in a public school that would not be present if they attended a private school. As stated before, there are many kids graduating from WB city schools who go on to postsecondary education and successful careers.

While it is everyone's right to choose the school they feel is best for their children, it is everyone's civic duty to support their local public schools.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I'd prefer public schools but my wife likes the catholic setting so private schools are an option. While we are on schools, does anyone know the cut off date to begin school? My son was born September 26 and cut off here in Wisconsin in Sept. 1. Michigan is December 31.
It depends on the school district.

Wilkes-Barre Area is 8/31.

Crestwood Area is 9/15.

Hanover Area is 9/1.

Nanticoke Area is 9/1.

Pittston Area is 8/31.

Wyoming Valley West is 9/1.

Wyoming Area is 8/31.

Dallas Area is 9/1.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania