Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 06:26 PM

10 posts, read 41,477 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I just joined the site and I'm moving with my husband (he was raised here, left when he was around 7-8 yrs old) to the Wilkes-Barre/Kingston area September of this year. We've visited (his mother and grandmother live in Kingston) a few times and we felt in love with the place. Btw, we're from Miami, FL and we hate it here for many reasons. I'm a college student and I was looking to transfer to LCCC since it's near-by and he wants to finish his studies/teach at King's college (he's 28 and I'm 20). We were also thinking of getting an apt at Green Acres (I've heard is very nice). I was wondering if anybody had any advice for new-comers? Jobs? School? Places? We have a general idea of the people, the life there, but of course, it doesn't compare to the opinion from the people actually LIVING there. I'm Hispanic (Cuban to be exact) and I know the population there is about 95% (if not more) Caucasian. I actually like this, but I can't help but feel a bit worried about how I'm going to be received since I've heard so many things about people there not exactly being very "welcoming" to new people...I'm excited and worried all at the same time. We're not going to change our minds (so please no rude comments from people saying they hate PA, it's ridiculous) by mere opinion, more so we just want to get to know the place better through the people and get any advice from you guys or anyone that has been in our same situation.

All comments are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited by liaexcal15; 03-08-2010 at 07:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 07:21 PM

809 posts, read 1,336,250 times
LCCC is a great choice. You seem very upbeat, I don't think you'll have a problem fitting in. Best of luck to you.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:58 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,292,721 times
Green Acres is nice. The county itself may be 95% white, but the Wilkes-Barre area has to be much higher. It is still predominantly white, but there is enough of an ethnic mix in the area. You'll be close to Kingston pool, Kirby Park ect. I have a cousin that lives in Little Haiti. Jobs area hard to come by these days in this area. Anyway, you'll definatly have to get used to the weather. It is not 80 degrees and sunny in January here. Good luck and welcome.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
LCCC is a great choice. You seem very upbeat, I don't think you'll have a problem fitting in. Best of luck to you.
Thank you, Pupmom (what a cute name, you got puppies? )! Are you familiar with LCCC? What type of reputation does it have? I'm guessing a good one since you mentioned it was a great choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Green Acres is nice. The county itself may be 95% white, but the Wilkes-Barre area has to be much higher. It is still predominantly white, but there is enough of an ethnic mix in the area. You'll be close to Kingston pool, Kirby Park ect. I have a cousin that lives in Little Haiti. Jobs area hard to come by these days in this area. Anyway, you'll definatly have to get used to the weather. It is not 80 degrees and sunny in January here. Good luck and welcome.
Thank you, W-B proud . Yeah, I've heard many good things about Green Acres. Wow, is Wilkes-Barre really that white? Crazy, but hey, I don't mind that at all, my husband's family is white. I've been to Kirby Park, it's really nice. I work in the health-care field, hopefully I can find something. I'm Bilingual too, you think that would help my chances? As for the weather, we actually don't mind the cold weather. The first time I visited, it was around the middle of September and the temperature was perfect, other time was in December and it was freezing (I think it went down to 14 once and then 20 something) but yeah, we're ready for that. I know you guys are probably cold right now! At least in the 40's. Thanks for the luck and welcome!

Old 03-09-2010, 06:24 PM

I am a counselor. It's a very inexpensive school. You can take some great courses, get yourself settled and then transfer the credits you have taken. They have had many success stories.!!!!!

Old 03-10-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I am a counselor. It's a very inexpensive school. You can take some great courses, get yourself settled and then transfer the credits you have taken. They have had many success stories.!!!!!
You are? That's awesome! I was looking online at their courses and they have a lot of selections, more than the college I'm attending now. That's super exciting. I saw the prices too and the credits are not expensive at all. For out-of-state students, it's a bit more, but I believe if I have at least a year of living there, I automatically pay in-state payments instead, right? I'm planning on transferring all the credits I have. Sucess stories say a lot about a school, that's great!!! Again, thank you for the reply.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:34 PM

As long as you are a resident of Luzerne cty as of the day you start at LCCC, you get the Luzerne County rate!!!!!! If you live in Lackawanna Cty, you get the out of county rate.!!!

Old 03-11-2010, 01:01 PM

24,166 posts, read 32,711,607 times
Hi there! My family and I are relocating to Kingston PA from Long Island NY. I think it's a great area!
If you work in health care and are bi-lingual, it's a real plus! As I am sure you know. health care jobs are not hard to come by and it is really a booming field right now! The job outlook is only expected to get better in the future.
What do you do now? What are you planning to study at LCCC?
Good lick in your move!

Old 03-11-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
As long as you are a resident of Luzerne cty as of the day you start at LCCC, you get the Luzerne County rate!!!!!! If you live in Lackawanna Cty, you get the out of county rate.!!!
That's great to know!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Hi there! My family and I are relocating to Kingston PA from Long Island NY. I think it's a great area!
If you work in health care and are bi-lingual, it's a real plus! As I am sure you know. health care jobs are not hard to come by and it is really a booming field right now! The job outlook is only expected to get better in the future.
What do you do now? What are you planning to study at LCCC?
Good lick in your move!
Hi! Thanks for the reply, glad I'm not the only one coming soon to the area! Hehe . I've heard the two sides...where some people say jobs are hard to come by now and then other people tell me otherwise, hopefully it's the latter! I'm sure I'll find something though. Right now I work in a Doctor's office but I'm actually looking to work in a Vet's office if possible...I want to initiate my experience with animals, hopefully someone gives me a chance. I'll volunteer as well, I've heard there's a lot of places to volunteer. I'm currently studying Psychology here and I'm still debating whether to change it once I transfer to LCCC to Veterinary Medicine or to maybe have it as a minor. Don't know yet. Good luck to you too!!!

Old 03-16-2010, 05:43 PM

I hope I get more replies...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania