Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 09:50 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty0n View Post
When are you moving? September-November, still TBD
Where are you coming from? Madison, WI
Why are you moving? My wife works for Kraft and will be relocated to Wilkes-Barre for her new position with Mondelez (the Kraft spin-off). She was offered the job on Monday (June 25).
Where will you be working? I will be searching for the job. I have a BA in HR Management from Michigan State University. I am open to any type of management position.
Have you been here yet? No, we just had our second son two weeks ago. Kraft will be providing us with the opportunity to visit as our son gets older.

Will you buy or rent? Would prefer to buy but may need a short-term rental.
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House, up to $250K most likely.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, 2 kids, 4 and a few weeks.
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public unless the school districts aren't great where we live then off to private it is.
Do you have pets? Two dogs and a cat. A jack russell and a pug-beagle mix.
Do you want or need a yard? Yes, a yard would be preferred.
Are you keeping a car? Two car family.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? The wife is active and I am calm and quiet.

What do you want to be closest to? Good schools. We think we want to be in Dallas, Crestwood or Wyoming school districts. We currently own and remodeled a circa 1880 home and like the character of older homes and don't mind fixing up a home a bit.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? It would be nice to be in a neighborhood where our children can play with others in the same age groups. I prefer a diverse area but may not be likely in the region. I would like advice on which areas of the Dallas, Crestwood and Wyoming school districts to avoid. Every city has a bad area and we would like to avoid that as much as possible. We are aware of recent flooding in the region (last year?) and was wondering if this happens often or was a once-every-half-century type of thing.

Phillies, Pirates or Mets? Detroit Tigers but will be SWB Yankees fans as well.

Wilkes-Barre City is great - I am a transplant, and I love it here. Can not say enough good.

HOWEVER - Schools? In terms of secondary, no. No way. The are not good. I send my children - high school age - attend an independent school. However, elementary schools seem to be better.

There are beautiful areas in Wilkes-Barre. It's a lovely historic city.

I really like Kingston and that was the area that I first focused upon when moving here. However Wyoming Valley West HS is not much better than Wilkes-Barre City schools.
They are sub standard.

The crazy low prices of the area make private schools and an awesome home a distinct possibility for most middle class folks.

Wyoming Valley Area has a decent schools. I would advise that that you look into that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 09:50 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,089,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why would you not raise a family in Wilkes-Barre?
my extended family members grew up in the heights--but now with resale values in wb at a low---a school system that runs on nepotism and offers poor educational results(i work with kids in wb public school system---basic skills are grades below actual grade level),and safety could be an issue due to slumlords not screening renters

i still look at wb rentals but have not found up to par properties for rent in the few sections of wb where keeping up the immediate area occurs

my empathy is for the homeowners with nice properties next to a property that steadily deteriorates due to lack of interest or funding of the immediate neighbors

btw--i am in wb daily

Old 07-01-2012, 11:36 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,959,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Wilkes-Barre City is great - I am a transplant, and I love it here. Can not say enough good.

HOWEVER - Schools? In terms of secondary, no. No way. The are not good. I send my children - high school age - attend an independent school. However, elementary schools seem to be better.

I really like Kingston and that was the area that I first focused upon when moving here. However Wyoming Valley West HS is not much better than Wilkes-Barre City schools.
They are sub standard.

The crazy low prices of the area make private schools and an awesome home a distinct possibility for most middle class folks.

Wyoming Valley Area has a decent schools. I would advise that that you look into that area.
Sheena's children attend a Catholic high school, with a good reputation. It's a consolidation of several Catholic high schools that were closed because, as always, of lack of funding.

Did you mean Wyoming Area? The Wyoming Area school district is one of the better ones in the valley.
But as always, parental involvement is required regardless of the school district in which you reside.

With a 2-year-old and a few-week-old, your high school concerns are pretty far in the future. Once you get here, you'll be better able to assess the schools.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:07 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

They are sub standard.

I completely disagree. At GAR alone over $1 million was awarded to the senior class in terms of scholarships and grants. Over 90% of the class is going on to postsecondary education.

Substandard? I don't think so.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
my extended family members grew up in the heights--but now with resale values in wb at a low---a school system that runs on nepotism and offers poor educational results(i work with kids in wb public school system---basic skills are grades below actual grade level),and safety could be an issue due to slumlords not screening renters

i still look at wb rentals but have not found up to par properties for rent in the few sections of wb where keeping up the immediate area occurs

my empathy is for the homeowners with nice properties next to a property that steadily deteriorates due to lack of interest or funding of the immediate neighbors

btw--i am in wb daily
My children attend Heights Elementary and I can tell you, without a doubt, that the majority of those teachers care about the kids there. Many of the children there live in abject poverty, come from bad homes, etc. I heard a statistic recently that 1 in 4 of WB students are below the poverty level. It is not so much the school system that is failing these kids.

While I completely agree about the hiring practices of the board, it is the administration that is issue in Wilkes-Barre - not the teachers.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:43 PM

From another thread I posted about the area:

Quote:
It's only fair to have a thread dedicated to venting about the ills that plague our beautiful, but vulnerable, area of the country & state. I wanted to start this thread not only to vent but perhaps share ideas on how to fix what is wrong with our communities. This needn't be a fight or bashing session. People should be able to freely exchange ideas here without being called names or belittling other people's POVs.

I'll start.

1. Crime in Wilkes-Barre: seems to be off the charts over the last few months. Between muggings, shootings, robberies (not to mention a machete attack) it seems like the insane have taken over the asylum. Nearly all of the people involved in these crimes are not from our area.

2. Wilkes-Barre Area School District: The schools are failing. My child's school has been low-acheiving since 2008. The district went from being 128th (in 2007) out of 498 districts in PSSA testing to 412th in 2011. Completely unacceptable. About 35% of the high school graduates in the WBASD require remediation in math and/or reading upon entering college before they can take college level courses in the respective subjects. There are numerous disciplinary issues in the schools as well. Loud, disruptive kids are allowed to stay in the classrooms. Again and again, violent, troubled youths are allowed to come back to school only to disrupt the other students' education. Why is this happening?

3. Decline in neighborhoods: This is linked with crimes, obviously. I am talking about the slum lords, the out of town people that come here for welfare and Section 8 benefits. I am speaking about the active solicitation of such people from other problem areas in the country - several towns & cities in NJ and NY. Our local housing authorities and assistance offices are advertising in these places to bring the worst of the worst here to our city. Why is this allowed? I've never seen one person place the blame of the decline in our neighborhoods on the shoulders of the housing authorities.

Feel free to debate my points or add your own. We need to get the conversation started to fix issues in our communities. I, myself, am truly on the fence about relocating and staying. If I didn't have children, the decision would be an easy one.
Quote:
I disagree very strongly that there are no horrible districts in this area. Stressing schoolwork at home is not good enough. Curriculum, teaching, discipline, etc at school is of equal, if not more, importance.

How can one say the quality is the same in all districts when a THIRD of all high school seniors need remedial work in math and reading upon entrance to college?
Quote:
It is different. A few decades ago, we didn't have the influx of non-English speaking students in so many districts. We also didn't have inclusive classrooms.

Regardless of how many students are attending post-secondary institutions, remediation should NOT be needed - especially not 1/3 of incoming college freshman. A graduating senior should have mastered these skills before graduation. That's the issue.
Quote:
1. If they had any inclination of going to college, they should have taken the academic track. This is another failing of schools - they don't properly evaluate and help students get in the correct track for their future goals.

2. Even if they were in the general track and changed their minds after graduation, they should still be able to do freshman level math and English without remediation.

This is how I feel about the education in the area. The biggest issue in the district is the administration and the influx of impoverished residents. It is not the teachers.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:04 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,827,904 times
Quote:
I completely disagree. At GAR alone over $1 million was awarded to the senior class in terms of scholarships and grants. Over 90% of the class is going on to postsecondary education.

Substandard? I don't think so.
People like to automatically assume the suburban schools are better than the city schools...one, because there are more dark faces in the city schools, and two, due to multiple factors, sometimes state standardized testing scores are somewhat lower in the cities, which I believe is more due to demographics than the quality of education. Of course the kids of doctors are going to score higher on the SATs and PSSAs, but that does not mean the quality of education is better in the Back Mountain or Abingtons than it is in Scranton or Wilkes-Barre.

I went to a suburban school with a good reputation, and I honestly believe my kids get just as good or better of an education in Scranton schools.

Scranton schools actually perform comparably to neighboring districts, which is pretty damn good considering some of the additional demographic barriers in the city (higher poverty rate, more non-English speakers, etc.)

And nepotism isn't just a Wilkes-Barre problem, or a Scranton problem, nepotism is widespread all over this area, from the affluent areas to the poor areas. I'm convinced that NEPA puts the NEP in NEPotism.

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 07-02-2012 at 09:37 AM..

Old 07-02-2012, 01:27 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,089,890 times
Quote:
From another thread I posted about the area:

This is how I feel about the education in the area. The biggest issue in the district is the administration and the influx of impoverished residents. It is not the teachers.
this may be ot

i have seen some of the aides (cannot remember their titles) that are assigned to kids needing extra help in the schools in action ---a majority are NOT doing their job---and are not helpful often ignoring the kids needs and more involved in texting,etc---as to the teachers---how many are there through nepotism---i knew a few and they were far from being the best and brightest bulbs in college but either had the up front money or the connection and this applies to the whole valley not just wb
there may be a few teachers that are trying to do a good job but obviously something is lacking here---i have met kids from the bronx public schools with better basic skills

i still recommend private sector and possibly carefully selecting a wyoming valley elementary school---as to pre k---st mary's/st nicks do well

Old 07-03-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty0n View Post
When are you moving? September-November, still TBD
Where are you coming from? Madison, WI
Why are you moving? My wife works for Kraft and will be relocated to Wilkes-Barre for her new position with Mondelez (the Kraft spin-off). She was offered the job on Monday (June 25).
Where will you be working? I will be searching for the job. I have a BA in HR Management from Michigan State University. I am open to any type of management position.
Have you been here yet? No, we just had our second son two weeks ago. Kraft will be providing us with the opportunity to visit as our son gets older.

Will you buy or rent? Would prefer to buy but may need a short-term rental.
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House, up to $250K most likely.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, 2 kids, 4 and a few weeks.
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public unless the school districts aren't great where we live then off to private it is.
Do you have pets? Two dogs and a cat. A jack russell and a pug-beagle mix.
Do you want or need a yard? Yes, a yard would be preferred.
Are you keeping a car? Two car family.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? The wife is active and I am calm and quiet.

What do you want to be closest to? Good schools. We think we want to be in Dallas, Crestwood or Wyoming school districts. We currently own and remodeled a circa 1880 home and like the character of older homes and don't mind fixing up a home a bit.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? It would be nice to be in a neighborhood where our children can play with others in the same age groups. I prefer a diverse area but may not be likely in the region. I would like advice on which areas of the Dallas, Crestwood and Wyoming school districts to avoid. Every city has a bad area and we would like to avoid that as much as possible. We are aware of recent flooding in the region (last year?) and was wondering if this happens often or was a once-every-half-century type of thing.

Phillies, Pirates or Mets? Detroit Tigers but will be SWB Yankees fans as well.
Welcome to the area! I think the places that you have chosen are safe and have good schools. I see your preference is for older homes, as is mine; and other than Wyoming, Dallas and Mountain Top are not known for their older, historic homes.

They are pretty, in a rural ex-urban way. Not particularly historic and lots of new construction.

I'm a huge fan of Kingston, and eventually, we are headed there or to Forty-Fort. We will keep this house as an investment. I do like some areas in the city of Wilkes-Barre. However, my kids are high school age and one will be off to college. We wil be adding to our family through adoption though, so schools are still an issue.

Wilkes-Barre City is pretty and historic. There are many things that I enjoy here. The presence of two institutions of higher learning, some beautiful examples of late 19th C - through 1920s architecture, some nice parks, a revitalized water front, local festivals and the farmer's market.

There is an artistic and cultural scene too. People are anxious to meet others with interests such as yours.

If private schools are a possibility for you, I would certainly not rule out Wilkes-Barre. That is the route we took when moving here. Nor would I rule out Kingston or Forty-Fort. They are lovely inner ring suburbs with beautiful homes and safe, walkable streets.

With the type of housing you prefer, It's hard to see you happy in Mountain Top - a mixture of McMansions, neglected rural smaller homes, mobile homes, and quickly built bi-levels and other tract houses. There is no central town.

Dallas does not fare better. Schools are good in both areas though.

If I can be of any help to you, please send me a direct message.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Sheena's children attend a Catholic high school, with a good reputation. It's a consolidation of several Catholic high schools that were closed because, as always, of lack of funding.

Did you mean Wyoming Area? The Wyoming Area school district is one of the better ones in the valley.
But as always, parental involvement is required regardless of the school district in which you reside.

With a 2-year-old and a few-week-old, your high school concerns are pretty far in the future. Once you get here, you'll be better able to assess the schools.
Yes Wyoming Area. Not to be confused with Wyoming Valley West, which serves Kingston and Forty-Fort, two of my favorite areas, but the high school does not get high marks from most information that I've read, and people I've spoken to about the school.

Sorry, still getting used to the very similar names.

Some of the elementary schools may be better than their HS of the same district. I don't know them all well. Since elementary schools serve a neighborhood, not a district, problems occur frequently when disparate neighborhoods merge.

TG, are the elementary schools that serve Kingston and Forty-Fort any better? How about the middle schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania