Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:31 AM

4 posts, read 5,398 times

Advertisements

Moving to the tobyhanna area and i want to know if there are any good schools? Also its midyear, would i be able to tranfser my first grader without any problems or hassels? Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 01:40 PM

26 posts, read 128,485 times
Don't move to Pocono Country Place in Tobyhanna---well thats my opinion. Be sure to google that area on the local paper Stroudsburg & the Poconos PA news, sports, schools, entertainment, and shopping | poconorecord.com - The Pocono Record

PMSD is good= pocono mountain school district

Old 01-25-2012, 02:25 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,159,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4FlatCoats View Post
Don't move to Pocono Country Place in Tobyhanna---well thats my opinion. Be sure to google that area on the local paper Stroudsburg & the Poconos PA news, sports, schools, entertainment, and shopping | poconorecord.com - The Pocono Record

PMSD is good= pocono mountain school district
Wow .. You really think its Good ? ( That school district ) I guess you dont know the area that well eh ?

Old 01-25-2012, 02:31 PM

26 posts, read 128,485 times
well its good enough---i'm moving this year out of the district--it has served us well.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:53 PM

8 posts, read 17,129 times
when i moved out here i was told to avoid the pmsd altgother, based on people i met here and research online, I ended up moving to east stroudsburg and my kids are in the esasd, they go to resica elementary and i couldnt be more pleased... I was nervous because i came from an expensive town in nj which was supposed to have such a wonderful school system and the schools here have surpassed them actually in many ways.. my kids have been excelling in school , they offer alot of extra activites and the teachers and staff have been great, as well as the other families.. the school has a close knit feel and we really like it, i cant speak for other schools in east stroudsburg as I only have experiance with this, but its been nothing but positive, if that helps at all...

Old 01-26-2012, 06:41 PM

Thanks.. My boyfriend lived in pcp for the past 4 years but spent the last year in new york with me. Hes never encountered a problem in pcp.. We're well aware of the "bad" stuff going on there... But he says its more of the second section of pcp Sections K and up.. He was from the main gate and we were planning on going back up there but only in the main section... Im from brooklyn Ny and im very used to the drugs, gangs, drivebys and so called dangerous life but thats also the reason why im moving away from here. I dont wanna raise my kids in NY as dangerous as it is and education isnt as great over here.. Im trying to get away from the city and im not very interested in livIng stroudsburg as he isnt either...we're a young couple (26 and 27) with two kids and would like a nice house wih enough space for the kids any areas you guys recommend besides stroudsburg?

Old 01-26-2012, 06:46 PM

Also he works in pittston and we're trynna move soon as the drive back and forth from ny to pittston is too much... Anybody has any reviews of that area?

Old 01-26-2012, 06:49 PM

8 posts, read 17,129 times
I live in east stroudsburg but marshalls creek area... the only thing ive been unhappy with is the traffic on 209 but they are fixing that soon supposedly and I have learned to plan my routines around it.. I live in the country club of the poconos and we have been very happy here.. we have great neighbors and its quiet peaceful living.. I like it because i have fairly quick access to shopping and all but im out of the way enough..
since ive lived here it has been drama free, a few arguments between neighbors but overall i feel safe and content ...
I really cant give much other advice on other communitys as this is the only one ive lived in, but i have close friends in saw creek estates not far from me and they like it as well..

Old 01-26-2012, 09:28 PM

8,190 posts, read 7,567,148 times
We live in East Stroudsburg district and we chose Catholic school, Notre Dame specifically. Nothing against public schools, since our kids know plenty of kids from LIttle League, Scouts, and other activities. So I recommend living on a public street/road (not a community with deed covenants) and sending your kids to Catholic school since it works for us!

Up in PMSD if you're told to avoid the schools up there you can check out Msgr. McHugh school which is grades K-8.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:54 AM

32,629 posts, read 77,836,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzclassy View Post
Also he works in pittston and we're trynna move soon as the drive back and forth from ny to pittston is too much... Anybody has any reviews of that area?
I'm assuming he actually works just outside of Pittston in Pittston Township (along Highway 315), which is actually my hometown. I really feel as if that immediate area is a mixed bag. On one hand Greater Pittston is by far the most "convenient" part of Northeastern PA to other parts of the region. It has an interchange for I-476, an interchange for I-81, contains an international airport, and is growing due to being a close commuter suburban area for both Scranton and Wilkes-Barre (15 minutes, tops, to each at rush-hour). New shopping/dining options are being built in Pittston Township, apparently because the 10-15-minute drive to shopping areas near either Scranton or Wilkes-Barre is too arduous.

On the other hand I've never been a fan of the way the growth there has been managed. The historic city proper of Pittston looks worse every time I visit with its blighted buildings and "gap-toothed" Main Street with a lot of parking lots where nice old buildings used to stand. Many of the homes there are in need of serious TLC, and the cheap housing has attracted some unsavory elements into the community. The town proper now only has about 7,000 residents---1/3 of its peak population. Meanwhile nearby Jenkins Township and Pittston Township continue to boom with new upscale housing developments, strip malls, etc. I'm a preservationist, and while I'd rather see the city proper of Pittston restored to its heyday glory before any more trees came down outside of the town proper for more "stuff" (not to mention my fear all of this growth uphill from the river will only increase runoff and heighten future flooding woes) I realize that is of little concern to most people who currently live there and who couldn't care less about how far Pittston itself continues to decline.

The Pittston Area School District, which was once one of the worst in the area in terms of academic performance, has now improved itself over the past 20 years to actually often rank 4th in the county behind Dallas, Crestwood, and Wyoming Area. Whether that's a result of more rigorous programs or the district overall becoming more affluent (or both) is unknown to me. Heck, it could even be because the worse school districts just further declined. There was a pretty substantial substance abuse problem amongst both juveniles and adults who resided within the school district when I lived there as late as early-2009, but things could have improved by then. If you want to live this close to your husband's workplace and are accustomed to the Poconos then I'd probably recommend the Suscon section of Pittston Towship to you. This part of the township is highly-elevated, heavily-wooded, and deer and other critters are commonplace. I know some people who live in both Pocono Ridge Estates and Gable Crest Estates who speak very highly of their subdivisions. Other areas to consider if you're looking for some country flair within the Pittston Area School District would be the Glendale section of Pittston Township or the Westminster section of Jenkins Township, both of which have smaller populations than Suscon. Be advised that Suscon generally receives worse wintry weather than other parts of the district---it wasn't uncommon when I lived there to have a "snow day" when it was just a slushy slop on the roads in Downtown Pittston, along the river (about 550' above sea level) at 33 degrees but heavy snow covering the roads and 30 degrees in Suscon (ranging from about 1,000' above sea level at its lowest point to well over 2,000' above sea level in the upper parts nearer to the Bear Creek Township border). My parents' Pittston Twp. home is about 975' above sea level, and we even noticed a slight difference in the amount of snow we got compared to places along the river.

Prior to the massive flooding in September 2011 I would have also urged you to check out West Pittston, the "Garden Village"; however, I feel as if another devestating flood is only a matter of time (20 years? 5 years? 1 year?) while no flood mitigation improvements are planned there due to prohibitive cost. Close relatives of mine have had to stay with my parents because their West Pittston home had water up to the top of their first floor. It's truly a tragic situation, especially considering that community used to be one of the best kept treasures in NEPA.

I can pretty much tell you anything you want to know about the Pittston area, so feel free to ask away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania