Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 09:04 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,681,229 times

Advertisements

I still say if they can take bare land that was an Air Base.....and in no time at all.......make a Market commons( Myrtle Beach and Greenville) ( homes, townhomes, stores,movie center, restaurants) It can be done. It take someone with a grand view and some vision.
It could be done........
It just probably will not be done.

I am one who adores Dickson City and Montage Mt. Ideal, lovely places to shop......
Thats not saying I wouldn't use Scranton if it was revitalized.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:13 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,681,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
That is like comparing New York City to Sandwich New Hampshire..
Not at all.......I didn't mention New York City in any way.

I have lived in towns that still thrive after Malls and big box stores enter their area.

They can make it fine.......With the right plan and design.

Why let a good town die?

It would be like my hometown of Denville, NJ dying because of the Rockaway Mall, 2-Guys, or Grants, or Walmart showing up.....
It didn't ever die......

So why does one well run town make it, and another does not?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:39 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,627,092 times
You have answered your own question in your very last sentence..Scranton leaders, historically the same circus, different clowns...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Not at all.......I didn't mention New York City in any way.

I have lived in towns that still thrive after Malls and big box stores enter their area.

They can make it fine.......With the right plan and design.

Why let a good town die?

It would be like my hometown of Denville, NJ dying because of the Rockaway Mall, 2-Guys, or Grants, or Walmart showing up.....
It didn't ever die......

So why does one well run town make it, and another does not?

Old 09-27-2010, 11:27 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,958,418 times
Since the city is in such horrible of a situation and has been in "distressed" status for approximately 24 years....I say what the heck, bite the bullet lower the taxes for businesses and end up bankrupt! The infrastructure is destroyed now, the roads, services etc are all in the crapper already. Like a drunk...this city needs to hit complete rock bottom to build it self up! Radically change is what is needed to change the course for this city; bankruptcy is as radical as we can go from where we are at! Maybe I am totally wrong and not knowledgeable enough about bankruptcy...but it works for individuals...why not a city!?

Old 09-27-2010, 11:54 AM

It wont happen, the courts will just raise taxes to cover expenses... Scranton being a class 2 A city is unique to itself , and that should help pass legislation to fix it, but no leaders have given it even a glance... I firmly believe the powers that be do not want distressed lifted, because if it is they will have to deal with the realities of self sufficiency and dealing fairly with its employees.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:00 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,958,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
It wont happen, the courts will just raise taxes to cover expenses... Scranton being a class 2 A city is unique to itself , and that should help pass legislation to fix it, but no leaders have given it even a glance... I firmly believe the powers that be do not want distressed lifted, because if it is they will have to deal with the realities of self sufficiency and dealing fairly with its employees.
Please excuse my ignorance, but what does being a class 2A city mean? I tried looking it up but had a hard time finding the definition. ty

Old 09-27-2010, 01:11 PM

A class 2 A city is designated by population among some other criteria, Scranton is the only Class 2 A city in the state, so legislation could theoretically be passed for a class 2A city only to help it with its problems and finances ,, the rest of the municipalities wouldnt have to worry about such legislation affecting them because it wouldnt pertain to them..

Old 09-27-2010, 01:42 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,834,735 times
The Class 2 A status was created for Scranton only, probably a push by the politicians to have that designation so they can keep the distressed status and for other reasons to suit their political needs. Scranton SHOULD have the same classification as cities like Reading and Bethlehem, seeing that they're just about the exact same population.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:52 PM

Scranton was class 2 A long before distressed status.. let me research the date, and why it was designated such..

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
The Class 2 A status was created for Scranton only, probably a push by the politicians to have that designation so they can keep the distressed status and for other reasons to suit their political needs. Scranton SHOULD have the same classification as cities like Reading and Bethlehem, seeing that they're just about the exact same population.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:28 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,964,385 times
I moved to Scranton in 1968 and Scranton carried a Class 2A designation then. I think it has always been thus. Philadelphia is the only Class 1 city and Pittsburgh is Class 2. Aside from those three, all of the other cities are Class 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania