Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 07:56 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,901,545 times

Advertisements

I actually like the Wyoming Valley Mall even though I don't shop there as much as they would like me to I bet

Yet I do seem to be going there more and more and really buying things LOL. The food court there pretty much shows the state of economics for many of the malls these days. I plan to try and do some of my Christmas shopping there to help keep it afloat.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:36 PM

159 posts, read 318,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
I would estimate that close to 65%, maybe more, of the usable store fronts in the downtown are empty.
65%

That's quite an exaggeration! I would say it is more in the 30% area!

Old 08-30-2010, 04:39 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,961,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
My apologies, I certainly don't want to continue hijacking weluvpa's thread, but to elaborate on our non-visit to the NEPA colleges... We did our drive through of Scranton after visiting Hartwick College in upstate NY. My husband was driving and had heard about Scranton from one of his co-workers so on the spur of the moment we took the exit from the highway. Someone that I know has a son that goes there and really likes it. I had looked on-line and saw that the University of Scranton had son's two potential majors so I thought what the heck.

Unfortunately, it was late in the day and the summer to boot, so nothing was open and no students were around. It looked interesting. Son was minimally interested. But after I got back home there was more stuff on this forum about how horrible Scranton was. Not just one day, but all the time. So we visited colleges in Vermont, Pittsburgh, Boston and Colorado and they're pretty darn nice. My son's not chomping at the bit to see U of Scranton, and I'm okay with that. Weluvpa - Scranton (although closer then any other college we've looked at) would be a new area for my son.

And I'm sorry if I've insulted anyone or made anyone feel bad because certainly Scranton isn't as run-down as some poster's like to paint it but there are just so many road trips we can make to look at colleges and our next one is going to be West Chester, not Scranton.
I for one am not insulted, TBT, but considering the quality of education available in Scranton, and considering the proximity to your home, it just surprises me that you would travel to Colorado and not give Scranton a look. (Possibly your son is mostly interested in schools that aren't so close to home?)

I lived in Scranton for eight years. One of my sons lives there still. The time I spent there was pleasurable, but so much has changed since I moved that I can understand why some are so disenchanted with its current state. But it would be well to recognize that there is hyperbole on both sides and make a decision based on personal observation. That is all.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:18 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,830,622 times
The Steamtown mall is a total and complete failure...indoor malls are dinosaurs. I think a good idea would be to close the mall altogether, turn the first floor into a Dave and Buster's, and the second floor into either office space or part of Steamtown historic site.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:09 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,663,226 times
I could see this happening miles away. The downtown is a ghost town and so is that mall. Nothing can sustain for very long here in Scranton, nothing. There is nothing much here to offer and this is why these places keep closing. The mall right now is 27 percent vacant, Expect that to rise to about 50 percent and then the mall will certainly close it's doors for good. Doherty says "If you build it, they will come" Yeah right Chris, what are you smoking? Where are the customers and where are the stores?

Old 08-31-2010, 02:25 PM

996 posts, read 1,058,275 times
Lackawanna Ave was thriving back in the good ole days when Pete Bordie's bar offered 10 cent draft beers and 25 cent shots, and there was plenty of entertainment to be found in the other fine establishments after a guy got his "swagger on".. LMAO

Old 08-31-2010, 02:33 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,901,545 times
I went in there once and it just was a weird layout for a mall I thought. Hard to park, had to walk through a trafficky section to get inside. Once inside I felt like I was under Philly at the Gallery along Market and 8th but it was no where near as nice as the Gallery.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:42 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,103,913 times
Mall at Steamtown to lose Aeropostale; vacancy rate to rise to 27 percent

Quote:
Aeropostale's departure drives the mall's vacancy rate to 27 percent, three times the national average. The mall's 73 percent occupancy is the lowest since its early days of operation.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:48 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,663,226 times
Nice, wonderful. Why is this mall still open? I don't get it, it can't survive.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:13 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,961,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Nice, wonderful. Why is this mall still open? I don't get it, it can't survive.
Leases?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania