Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 03:50 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,673,594 times

Advertisements

The Steamtown Mall is going down hill very fast. But, it does have something to do with "real trains."
There is walkways from the Mall right into Steamtown which sits behind it.
The views from the Steamtown Mall made me interested in visiting the historic site.
I must say that when we took the kids to see the historic trains and ride them, it was a great informative visit. I think the two places were suppose to work hand in hand.......
Visit the Mall and be drawn to the trains~ Visit the trains and be drawn into the Mall.
I still think the Mall and town can rise up...It is going to take much time and many years. But, its not going to sit there dead forever.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:24 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I still think the town can rise up...It is going to take much time and many years. But, its not going to sit there dead forever.
It's a shame nearly nobody IN the city has this attitude, which probably explains its struggles. IF (and that's a big if) my business venture in Pittsburgh "pays off" in the future and I become wealthy, I'm going to build a bunch of McMansions in South Abington Twp. and give a free one to every Scranton resident on this sub-forum so they can pay their higher property taxes to Abington Heights and then complain about that instead of the wage tax!

"Boosterism" DOES have its positive benefits for a city. When I was still all "I ♥ Scranton!!!" a couple of years ago with my photo tours, inspiring essays about the city, newspaper editorials, etc. I PERSONALLY convinced SEVERAL upstanding middle-class families to move into Lackawanna County who otherwise wouldn't have even considered it had they not seen that good things were happening here and seen the beauty of the area firsthand through my photos, which made them do more research into the area (i.e. Retired Law 08, new2pa, ScrantonVideoProductions, and a few others). Believe it or not the "boosterism" that is all over the Pittsburgh sub-forum DID play SOME role in my decision to move there because I was attracted to a city where the general consensus of most of the people is "the tide is turning for the better now." Who wants to live in Scranton and run a much greater risk of settling down between two middle-aged burnouts who are mad at everyone but themselves for mistakes they made earlier in life?

Old 10-27-2010, 04:42 PM

232 posts, read 347,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
It's a shame nearly nobody IN the city has this attitude, which probably explains its struggles. IF (and that's a big if) my business venture in Pittsburgh "pays off" in the future and I become wealthy, I'm going to build a bunch of McMansions in South Abington Twp. and give a free one to every Scranton resident on this sub-forum so they can pay their higher property taxes to Abington Heights and then complain about that instead of the wage tax!

"Boosterism" DOES have its positive benefits for a city. When I was still all "I ♥ Scranton!!!" a couple of years ago with my photo tours, inspiring essays about the city, newspaper editorials, etc. I PERSONALLY convinced SEVERAL upstanding middle-class families to move into Lackawanna County who otherwise wouldn't have even considered it had they not seen that good things were happening here and seen the beauty of the area firsthand through my photos, which made them do more research into the area (i.e. Retired Law 08, new2pa, ScrantonVideoProductions, and a few others). Believe it or not the "boosterism" that is all over the Pittsburgh sub-forum DID play SOME role in my decision to move there because I was attracted to a city where the general consensus of most of the people is "the tide is turning for the better now." Who wants to live in Scranton and run a much greater risk of settling down between two middle-aged burnouts who are mad at everyone but themselves for mistakes they made earlier in life?

Dude do I have to beat it into you? GreenBeing was on here a few months ago touting their succes in the downtown. Let me fix it for you...it is a SHAME that NO ONE WHO POSTS ON CITY DATA and LIVES IN SCRANTON has this attitude. City Data is not the be all and end all.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:46 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,660,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I really do not understand why people would cheer and applaud when a store closes down and why every single discussion on this board has to degenerate into some sort of child like rant about how the city, in this case Scranton, is lacking in some way, or being over run by crackheads or mismanaged by local politicians.

I was in Scranton last night and I visit frequently. It looks like a fine and thriving mid-sized city to me.

I agree with the Marywood parent from Westchester NY., which iis a lot like Stny Brook LI my former home town. It looks relativly safe, thiving and attractive! It has some really attractive, lovely older buildings. it looks like an inviting place to live a spend time and money. And it is.

No its not a "city that never sleeps" That song was written about NY City. I will say compared to Wilkes Barre, there is are a lot more stores open in the evening.
I also like the Steamtown Mall and I for one do not root for it's demise.
Business of all types support the tax base. Econ 101.

Abraham Lincoln said "People should take pride in the place they call home"
I agree.
No one is cheering. It's the norm when a store closes in Scranton. It can't sustain here in a ghosttown. It's not a fine, thriving city. You are looking at it with rose-colored glasses. Live here and then you will feel differently about it. The mall is dying and soon will be closed. The new buildings on Lackawanna Ave. are still empty, but has to be rebuilt so they could just sit there. Scranton is becoming a New York wannabe and it never will be.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:05 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
I am absolutely appalled by some of the remarks on this thread. I cannot believe that you think it's okay to talk (even anonymously) to someone like that. Thank you to the posters with a conscience that reported this.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania