Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 09:07 AM

45 posts, read 125,553 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've been reading this forum for 2 months (lurking), and the information that's been provided has been great. Thank you.

I wanted to provide some info that may help some people who are heading this way.

1. Currently staying at the KOA in Bismarck. They are normally closed during the winter, but they are trying out what it would be like to stay open during this winter. The place is a little under half full. They have 50 amp hookups, hot showers, and free wifi (you'll need code which is based on MAC address).

I'm using it as stopping point before I go to Minot, Williston, Dickenson, etc.

2. Today I am going to further winterize my travel trailer before heading out. Going to put insulation (one side styrofoam, the other side shiny aluminum?) on the inside windows of the travel trailer using the silver hvac tape.

Also closing up air vents from the inside and the oven vent on the outside (don't use it).

Any floor that is not covered by carpet, seems to let a lot of cold in.

I was told trailer skirts help a lot too. At other parks, I've been told guys are using plywood around the bottom of their trailers and that helps.

3. Going to Scheels here and getting heavy jacket, boots, something to put over my face/head.

I'm looking for a job in the oil fields, and I wonder what type of jacket is good: short, long, parka type, nylon, canvas or leather outside, etc.

Boots: looking at pull ons with steel toe and oil resistant souls. I've read the threads, but didn't know if pull ons are a bad idea as the top maybe open.

Face/head protection: no idea other than a knit hat?

4. I did get my class A CDL permit in Florida which is passing the General knowledge test, Air brakes, and Combinations. Now that I think about it, I should have taken the Tanker section. Hint, for those taking these tests, the sample tests online are pretty good, but are designed for truck drivers. On the general knowledge test there were a lot of bus questions which I did not study.

I'm looking for suggestions or comments from above which is why I numbered the sections.

thanks,

Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 09:37 AM

btw, UPS and Arby's have help wanted signs out here in Bismarck. I know most of us aren't looking for those jobs, but just in case someone is.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:42 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,256,367 times
While at Scheels, you might ask someone there for their recommendations for gear. I have used thinsulate products for years, but there may be something out that is better now. RE boots...They used to call the winter boots, Bunny Boots, or PAKS back in the 80's. Waterproof, nicely insulated, slip resistant features are important. Ex back then refused to wear steel toes, cause he swore they would freeze your toes....not sure what the current philosophy is. There are bound to be folks on here that can answer all your questions. Wool, even a thin layer helps alot in frigid temps. Layer, layer, layer. T-shirt, Thermal underwear, top/bottoms, a woolen pullover, a hoodie sweatshirt. shirt....Coveralls (Carharts/Walls) Than your coat over that. Accessories, rag wool socks, wear 2 pr( if it's really cold). If it is decent, like this weekend, you may want to wear only t-shirt, flannel shirt, or pullover, and a hoodie for running around town. Supposed to be in 30's sat/sun this week. Check other threads for other suggestions, and some safety tips. Like always have your extra outter clothes, when traveling in winter. Know what to have in your winter survival kit, etc. Good to get things there, I understand there are often empty shelves in Williston. Be safe.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:55 AM

thanks.

Loaded up on food. Prices at the walmart here are similar to home. Fuel higher here though.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:00 PM

91 posts, read 295,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BounceMan View Post
Hi,

I've been reading this forum for 2 months (lurking), and the information that's been provided has been great. Thank you.

I wanted to provide some info that may help some people who are heading this way.

1. Currently staying at the KOA in Bismarck. They are normally closed during the winter, but they are trying out what it would be like to stay open during this winter. The place is a little under half full. They have 50 amp hookups, hot showers, and free wifi (you'll need code which is based on MAC address).

I'm using it as stopping point before I go to Minot, Williston, Dickenson, etc.

2. Today I am going to further winterize my travel trailer before heading out. Going to put insulation (one side styrofoam, the other side shiny aluminum?) on the inside windows of the travel trailer using the silver hvac tape.

Also closing up air vents from the inside and the oven vent on the outside (don't use it).

Any floor that is not covered by carpet, seems to let a lot of cold in.

I was told trailer skirts help a lot too. At other parks, I've been told guys are using plywood around the bottom of their trailers and that helps.

3. Going to Scheels here and getting heavy jacket, boots, something to put over my face/head.

I'm looking for a job in the oil fields, and I wonder what type of jacket is good: short, long, parka type, nylon, canvas or leather outside, etc.

Boots: looking at pull ons with steel toe and oil resistant souls. I've read the threads, but didn't know if pull ons are a bad idea as the top maybe open.

Face/head protection: no idea other than a knit hat?

4. I did get my class A CDL permit in Florida which is passing the General knowledge test, Air brakes, and Combinations. Now that I think about it, I should have taken the Tanker section. Hint, for those taking these tests, the sample tests online are pretty good, but are designed for truck drivers. On the general knowledge test there were a lot of bus questions which I did not study.

I'm looking for suggestions or comments from above which is why I numbered the sections.

thanks,

Eric

"3. Going to Scheels here and getting heavy jacket, boots, something to put over my face/head.

I'm looking for a job in the oil fields, and I wonder what type of jacket is good: short, long, parka type, nylon, canvas or leather outside, etc."

I'm gonna link you EXACTLY what I wear daily on the rig:

BOOTS:
Feet have never got cold. Some people swear by the $250 dollar Baffins that go to like -150 Degrees F, but thats ridiculous unless you are working in Antarctica. lol. You also go through boots fast, i choose these.

REFINERY -40 SAFETY TOE & PLATE

JACKET:
I wear this under my company coveralls.

Carhartt - Product - Men’s Extremes® Active Jac/Arctic-Quilt

i only wear jeans on my lower half, the coveralls keep me plenty warm without having to wear long johns or anything. Dress in layers obviously caus believe it or not even though its cold here, you start sweating on the rig. Dont strip too much off.other than that ive got a cheap $6 full face/head mask from Walmart.

Also, if you get to the point when u get a company hardhat, get a hardhat liner. You lose most all your heat from your feet and your head. WOAL sOCKS!!

Old 12-10-2011, 06:18 PM

Awesome info on the clothes. I was at RCC Western Wear today and looking at that jacket.

I like those refinery boots. Closest RCC had to that were Muck boats. They weren't oil resistant though.

thanks again!

Old 12-10-2011, 08:01 PM

287 posts, read 689,272 times
If you are a shoe size 13-14, take a look at this city-data classified. Good luck to you.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/class...d-workers.html

Old 12-10-2011, 08:28 PM

21 posts, read 31,145 times
BounceMan
How are you taking the extreme weather change going from Florida to North Dakota in the winter?
I'm looking to make the move in the spring/summer.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:42 PM

91 posts, read 295,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BounceMan View Post
Awesome info on the clothes. I was at RCC Western Wear today and looking at that jacket.

I like those refinery boots. Closest RCC had to that were Muck boats. They weren't oil resistant though.

thanks again!
Just remember safety toe is required when you buy boots. A lot of guys dont know that and spend money on boots they cant use.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
BounceMan
How are you taking the extreme weather change going from Florida to North Dakota in the winter?
I'm looking to make the move in the spring/summer.
When I was first driving into Fargo Thursday morning, it was like 5 and below (depending on the area), and windy. Very cold! When it's 10 and not blowing, I can stand outside w/ just a sweat shirt on. It was nice today- I think it was about 38 degrees.

I did live in Pennsylvania for 18 years.

I don't mind the cold, it's the wind that gets me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota