Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:12 AM

52 posts, read 178,869 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Bismarck in about two months. Could somebody please tell me what the city is like??? No, I've never been there. I understand that the employment situatin in Burleigh County is extremely good. Is housing rather difficult to find?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 08:04 PM

438 posts, read 1,116,014 times
Are you looking to buy or to rent? If the former, see the MLS for Bismarck-Mandan here:
Bismarck - Mandan Board of Realtors

If you plan to rent, see:
Apartments

I moved to Bismarck a few months ago. Bismarck is a pleasant, safe, clean, orderly small city. If you have specific questions, I'll try to answer them unless you're asking about schools, about which I know nothing.

Have you had experience driving in snow?

Old 12-12-2010, 01:13 PM

979 posts, read 3,670,983 times
Very nice town. Small metro area of 100,000+ . Has pretty much all the types of retail a person would need. (but I know, the more you have...the more you want...aka: Bismarckers complain about the stores Fargo has vs. Bismarck, etc...) good schools, couple small colleges. Really wonderful parks and walking-biking paths. Very family friendly with a small mix of young people (with the 2 small colleges) Several golf courses. Clean town...and always growing and building. Good town overall...except winter...but you get that no matter where you would live in the midwest.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:42 PM

559 posts, read 1,467,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
Very nice town. Small metro area of 100,000+ . Has pretty much all the types of retail a person would need. (but I know, the more you have...the more you want...aka: Bismarckers complain about the stores Fargo has vs. Bismarck, etc...) good schools, couple small colleges. Really wonderful parks and walking-biking paths. Very family friendly with a small mix of young people (with the 2 small colleges) Several golf courses. Clean town...and always growing and building. Good town overall...except winter...but you get that no matter where you would live in the midwest.
The population is 100,000+? Or the square footage? I thought Fargo was the only town that had a population of 100,000. Anyway, Bismarck is nice. We've been quite a few times since we only live about an hour and a half away. Wish the mall was bigger and had more stores than the one in Minot, though. It's basically the same thing.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:20 PM

419 posts, read 1,397,801 times
Metro area--all of Burleigh and Morton counties combined--would be 100,000. That would include all of Mandan along with some of the small towns east and west on I94.
There is a lot of growth of both housing and retail on the North/Northwest side of Bismarck. When the weather is decent, there is quite a bit of recreation along the Missouri River.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:24 PM

979 posts, read 3,670,983 times
etjai...no, Bismarck itself is not 100,000+...it's "metro" area. (yes it is considered a metro area)...it has around 106,000 (which includes Bismarck...around 65,000...Mandan...17,000...Lincoln...4,000...and then the subdivisions and small towns in and around Bismarck)...Fargo is not 100,000 by itself...it is in the upper 90 thousands (but will probably hit the 100,000 in the next census release)...but its metro area is around 225,000 and includes West Fargo, Moorhead, Dilworth, and several towns and subdivsions in and around Fargo (Cass and Clay counties).

dutchinnd and I must have been responding to your post about the same time...lol

Old 12-20-2010, 02:51 PM

559 posts, read 1,467,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
etjai...no, Bismarck itself is not 100,000+...it's "metro" area. (yes it is considered a metro area)...it has around 106,000 (which includes Bismarck...around 65,000...Mandan...17,000...Lincoln...4,000...and then the subdivisions and small towns in and around Bismarck)...Fargo is not 100,000 by itself...it is in the upper 90 thousands (but will probably hit the 100,000 in the next census release)...but its metro area is around 225,000 and includes West Fargo, Moorhead, Dilworth, and several towns and subdivsions in and around Fargo (Cass and Clay counties).

dutchinnd and I must have been responding to your post about the same time...lol
Lol ok I was confused I was like Bismarck?! No way. And I was also confused because I had no idea what "metro" area they were talking about...but I guess if you added Mandan and some other towns (are there any others?) nearby I could see that

Old 12-20-2010, 03:13 PM

419 posts, read 1,397,801 times
Yeah--the Census and other gov't agencies work with "standard metropolitan statistical areas." They are the defined areas that include not only the central or major city, but also the areas that cover all the the suburbs, or in Bismarck's case, the adjoining river towns. Typically they're made up of entire counties.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:25 PM

99 posts, read 220,438 times
I've only been to Bismarck once but I thought it was nice.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:55 PM

32 posts, read 84,100 times
We just moved here recently and we love it. A lot colder than El Paso, but it is our first winter and we have already bought the appropriate clothing. Housing shouldn't be a problem; we found a really nice apartment complex with heated underground parking. What a blessing to have a heated parking garage with an elevator when coming in with groceries or leaving in the -10 degree mornings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota