Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:16 PM

57 posts, read 101,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyd11 View Post
I also thought time and a half was federal law although some companies in North Dakota do not pay an overtime rate. North Dakota isn't required to pay time and a half is what we were told. I always thought when determining between federal and state law, they had to go with the law most favorable to the employee. Anyone??
How about naming the company so others can avoid them? Then report them to the Department of Labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 08:22 PM

80 posts, read 272,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
Wow, $12/hr? I think others are right when they say will start lowering wages. Thought TX oil jobs paid at least $14. $12 would be justified if they provided housing and food and got a lot of overtime....
$12 cash might be decent and some people get paid like that. $12 by check, when Crude Oil is $90-100 per barrel is a joke.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:33 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
There are probably more people for the jobs down south. When the market gets too flushed up here, I expect it will be the same. I'll bet by next summer the wages will level out here too. I wonder if the only reason they haven't is because of the lack of housing??
Which reminds me of a question I have. Do the man camps charge the folks living there, rent and food....Does it come out of their paycheck??

Old 01-12-2012, 08:44 PM

79 posts, read 193,996 times
Jan that is one of the questions that I have been searching these forums for an answer to, If the worker is charged for staying in the Man camps and how does the Cafeteria work out? I would assume that the Company would provide the Housing and the Employees would have to cover their meals. But maybe one of these other Posters can better answer for us.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:13 PM

265 posts, read 686,626 times
PokerJoker..training starts with orientation maybe some further testing(don't know) and anyone without a CDL will be put through that training( 8 wks total). There is no reason for anyone outside of the company and the new hires to know about the Orientation and the training since it is not one of their(BH) hiring events, as it is only for the new hires going to Williston and Dickinson or wherever anyone else is going after the Training in Bismarck.Peace PS Equipment Operator

Old 01-13-2012, 06:50 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,231,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrelocation View Post
How about naming the company so others can avoid them? Then report them to the Department of Labor.
Better idea would be to acquaint yourself with the applicable laws (http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/screen75.asp - broken link).

Like I said several posts ago, some industries are exempt, such as ag. I've never had to care before, but so, apparently, is trucking.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:38 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafeeder View Post
$12 cash might be decent and some people get paid like that. $12 by check, when Crude Oil is $90-100 per barrel is a joke.
Very true, lol..Would be like a slap in the face. But if they can get away with it knowing some people will accept that am sure they wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoND2work View Post
No Dafeeder, don't have a CDL but not opposed to getting one if I could find a company that paid for the training.

Ya know, DH and I were discussing this last night.

One of the companies he was talking to was talking about all of the folks who have come up to ND from places like southern California or Florida. Never driven in snow, much less snow/ice/30below...

He asked if I could imagine all the havoc those fools could wreak with a truck! Keeping in mind, he was talking about experienced drivers, just not experienced in ND.

I told him I had read a lot of comments that folks were getting jobs fresh out of CDL school. No experience in North Dakota OR a semi.

He gave me this horrified look and said, "I might get killed up there!"

Old 01-15-2012, 04:53 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
My understanding is that reputable companies require CDL w/ 2 years experience, no felonies, no DUI.
And, there have been lots of accidents, even folks run over, including little kids cause they don't have a by-pass adequate for the truck traffic. Your hubby is smart. Read these threads, there are repeatedly folks talking about coming up, sleeping in their cars, and driving truck w/ nothing but a new CDL. My ex lives there, my sons visited recently.....They say 5 lights is the average wait to get across street light. I find that insane. That McD's had drive thru line half block down the street. That's just a couple of examples. You really gotta know what you are getting yourself into. And, there are quite a few folks that join this forum, and a person never hears another word after they get to Williston.....What happens to these folks???

Old 01-15-2012, 08:52 AM

To be fair, we've got a couple of buddies who drive up in Williston and when they've got a cell signal they check in with their families. When they have access/time to WiFi, they're sleeping.

But yeah, DH apparently hadn't considered the fact that despite the fact that he's driven a semi in ND for a number of years (everything from equipment to buffalo), doesn't mean everyone has...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota