Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 06:38 PM

8 posts, read 34,584 times

Advertisements

Hey Folks!

I've been lurking for a couple weeks now, and wow...this board is on fire - lots of great information!

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has any ideas as to what any of the Oil Field Sales jobs pay? I see most of the big boys as well as some smaller companies typically have a field rep position of some type or another posted.

Currently, I am fortunate to have a job in software sales that pays alright $$$ ($40k-$50k ish). But as many on here have already pointed out, I can't help to think that there are other good paying jobs in the oil industry that you can get into at the "entry-level" stage. And believe me, you DO NOT need a degree to be in sales - that's for sure.

Of course, I wouldn't mind the back breaking rig jobs either (as I've done plenty of physical labor jobs in bad weather), but I'm thinking those rig jobs are really going to get competitive moving forward now that the word is out.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 06:59 PM

581 posts, read 2,217,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaboss View Post
hey folks!

I've been lurking for a couple weeks now, and wow...this board is on fire - lots of great information!

Anyway, i'm curious if anyone has any ideas as to what any of the oil field sales jobs pay? I see most of the big boys as well as some smaller companies typically have a field rep position of some type or another posted.

Currently, i am fortunate to have a job in software sales that pays alright $$$ ($40k-$50k ish). But as many on here have already pointed out, i can't help to think that there are other good paying jobs in the oil industry that you can get into at the "entry-level" stage. And believe me, you do not need a degree to be in sales - that's for sure.

Of course, i wouldn't mind the back breaking rig jobs either (as i've done plenty of physical labor jobs in bad weather), but i'm thinking those rig jobs are really going to get competitive moving forward now that the word is out.

Thoughts?
$100k - $150k

Old 11-30-2011, 07:53 PM

249 posts, read 646,469 times
What exactly is "oil field sales"...

Thanks, in advance...

Last edited by golfer2122; 11-30-2011 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-30-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer2122 View Post
What exactly is "oil field sales"...

Thanks, in advance...
Drilling bit sales, chemical sales, equipment sales. Halliburton has "sales" guys for frac, cement, etc. Some are called business development but it's generally sales. Business Development guys are the head sales guy usually. Some salesmen "sell" water hauling to fracs and rental equipment to the rigs. The sales term is used loosely but it's still sales. More of a field representative to see what the oil companies need. Oilfield salesmen make their money after hours at the bar and early in the morning at breakfast meetings. Rarely do they work an 8-5 type gig. Salesman at a lot of places are the top paid guys because of their relationships with the customers (oil companies). Usually sales guys are brought up through the ranks or hired from one company to another. Not many come off the street. Actually, none that I know of. All had oilpatch experience and the ability to take a butt chewing and bs with the company men. I'm rambling now.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:07 PM

Sales jobs can also be called Account Manager or Account Executives.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:08 PM

8 posts, read 34,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
Drilling bit sales, chemical sales, equipment sales. Halliburton has "sales" guys for frac, cement, etc. Some are called business development but it's generally sales. Business Development guys are the head sales guy usually. Some salesmen "sell" water hauling to fracs and rental equipment to the rigs. The sales term is used loosely but it's still sales. More of a field representative to see what the oil companies need. Oilfield salesmen make their money after hours at the bar and early in the morning at breakfast meetings. Rarely do they work an 8-5 type gig. Salesman at a lot of places are the top paid guys because of their relationships with the customers (oil companies). Usually sales guys are brought up through the ranks or hired from one company to another. Not many come off the street. Actually, none that I know of. All had oilpatch experience and the ability to take a butt chewing and bs with the company men. I'm rambling now.
Thanks Kychlo - that pretty much jives with what I've been reading for the past 45 minutes on glassdoor (dot) com - (current employee reviews, salary ranges...etc).

Old 12-01-2011, 01:00 AM

8 posts, read 15,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaBoss View Post
Hey Folks!

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has any ideas as to what any of the Oil Field Sales jobs pay? I see most of the big boys as well as some smaller companies typically have a field rep position of some type or another posted.

Currently, I am fortunate to have a job in software sales that pays alright $$$ ($40k-$50k ish). But as many on here have already pointed out, I can't help to think that there are other good paying jobs in the oil industry that you can get into at the "entry-level" stage. And believe me, you DO NOT need a degree to be in sales - that's for sure.

Of course, I wouldn't mind the back breaking rig jobs either (as I've done plenty of physical labor jobs in bad weather), but I'm thinking those rig jobs are really going to get competitive moving forward now that the word is out.

Thoughts?
Have been looking too. Not particularly sales but other positions NOT out in the fields. Not afraid of the weather been a Union Roofer and a Custom Home Framer just outside of Chicago for years.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:15 AM

1 posts, read 7,760 times
Default Oil Field Jobs

The only way you can truly understand it is to Live it fron both sides. Meaning my spouse works for an oil company and I receive royalties.
Ann

Old 12-09-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie82360 View Post
The only way you can truly understand it is to Live it fron both sides. Meaning my spouse works for an oil company and I receive royalties.
Ann
What does your comment have to do with an oilfield sales job??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota