Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

NC: middle school, re-districting issues, affordable housing, major airport, newer city look

Old 07-29-2006, 10:35 PM

7 posts, read 178,739 times

Advertisements

Hello to everyone! We are "possibly" being transferred to NC, so we have started to do some research. We have only visited South Carolina and do not know much about NC at all. We are quite overwhelmed due to worrying about making the right decision as we have a middle school aged child.

There is so much great information on these boards, and I will no doubt be doing a lot of reading. But, I do have some questions to start if anyone would like to offer some advice.

One thing I worry a little about is that we are not super religious, and I have read that that can sometimes be a problem in the Carolinas. Any thoughts on that?

An area that I thought maybe we should look into is Johnston County, which I think includes Garner, Clayton, Benson, and Angier. Part of that choice is due to what I have read about the re-districting issues in Wake. Not sure how much truth is to that as I have just started all my research.

A general idea about what we are looking for:- great schools, affordable housing (175-250 ?), must be close to a major airport, lots of shopping, lots of action, "new" up and coming areas (we like the newer city look and feel), would consider areas "a little further out", but we like action so would need to be fairly close "to it all".

We definitely don't want to land in a place where we would not belong - i.e. a city that had majority mercedes, bmw's, and hummers on the road. Of course, nothing wrong with all those, but we do not want to be in an area that "keeping up with the Jones'" is an issue.

I hope I have given enough information to get some ideas as to where we should focus our research. I would more than appreciate any advice anyone can offer! Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2006, 11:19 PM

58 posts, read 344,838 times
Concord - about 20 miles north of Charlotte, (Cabarrus County), Huntersville, Statesville (both near interstate 77).
I don't know that where you are looking is "close to it all," but I don't know, I have never been to the areas you mentioned. I do know that the two places that seem to be growing and where everything is happening would be Raleigh and Charlotte.
Check this site out for some home prices:
http://www.newhomesource.com/maps/state.aspx?srchtype=map&st=NC&refer=SG197x (broken link)

Old 08-29-2006, 11:39 AM

117 posts, read 416,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkruk View Post
Concord - about 20 miles north of Charlotte, (Cabarrus County), Huntersville, Statesville (both near interstate 77).
I don't know that where you are looking is "close to it all," but I don't know, I have never been to the areas you mentioned. I do know that the two places that seem to be growing and where everything is happening would be Raleigh and Charlotte.
Check this site out for some home prices:
http://www.newhomesource.com/maps/state.aspx?srchtype=map&st=NC&refer=SG197x (broken link)
I've seen many Lexus, Mercedes, Hummers, BMW's and Mrecedes in Huntersville. They love to ride them around and show them off at Birkdale.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:31 PM

954 posts, read 4,381,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famof3 View Post
One thing I worry a little about is that we are not super religious, and I have read that that can sometimes be a problem in the Carolinas. Any thoughts on that?

Yes, the moment you cross the boarder they issue you a Falwell Study Bible and enroll your children in a Christian Academy.
I was a pastor in NC for 12 years. If you take a live and let live attitude, they won't harass you, beyond an occasional invitation to church. If, however, you decide to initiate the next Scopes Monkey Trial, then there will be Resistance.
You will find that people who are deeply involved in their churches, tend to kind of stay within their own circle.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:46 PM

3 posts, read 11,418 times
Hello - I currently live in Raleigh and work in the Clayton/Johnston County area.

I think Clayton would be just what you are looking for in regards to not being too flashy with the high dollar toys everywhere.

It has great accessiblity to Raleigh (70, 64 nearby in Knightdale, 540 coming), while maintaining the small town feel.

There are good and bad schools in Johnston County (Wake too actually), so that is definitely something to consider. I'd go into detail, but I'd hate to offend anyone who has kids at those schools! PM me if you'd like to know specifics.

You are correct about a lot of shifting going on in Wake County in regards to school boundaries. There is also a big movement underway to put most elementary and middle schools on a year-round calendar there. So far, Johnston County has maintained a traditional calendar, and it has caused some to move to Johnston from Wake.

I would not worry too much about the religious aspect. Yes, this is traditionally the Bible belt, and there are certainly plenty of churches everywhere, but it's been my experience that everyone is pretty much left to their preference in that regard.

I would look mainly in Clayton and Garner to maximize your resale value, and also to stay fairly close to RDU Airport, which you stated was important to your family.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:40 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,610,302 times
people, please ignore this person. It is familyof3, he has been banned several times already for making multiple accounts (including a fake version of mine) and hijaking the Maine forum. if YAC sees this he will know what I am talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina