Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 08:06 AM

52 posts, read 90,021 times

Advertisements

My Family and I are interested in the state of North Carolina and would like to move there. We are wondering if we could possibly get some feedback on what city might be right for us and where not to go.
*)We are interested in Mountains and water but prefer mountains. We do not want too close to the ocean.
*) We are interested in renting a home or apartment for awhile then perhaps looking into buying a home later after we've settled.
*)We have an 11 year old girl and 13 year old boy and would like a safe area.( I understand that crime can occur anywhere)
*)We like a Medium City....not a town where everything closes at 5pm. We like a little bit bigger town so there is shopping and plenty of restaurants close by.
*)We enjoy natural scenery, waterfalls, mountain view.....although not living "on" a mountain.
*)My husband is a smoker so he wouldn't want to be in a smoke-free town where he couldn't smoke outdoors on a porch. He is not an inside smoker.
*)We do not drink so doesn't matter if it is a dry County or not.
*)We would prefer no strip clubs,etc.
*)Would not like year round schooling.
*)We enjoy crafts but are not real country.(ex:county music,western wear)
*)getting jobs would be a must and quickly! prefer not to drive a long ways to work but would travel some.I've been in Banking for 20 years and Banking Management for 8 and would be interested in anything handling money and/or/ customer service. My husband has been in fast food Management (earlier days) and also Manufacturing for a number of years. What are the average wages?
*) Would like cost of living info such as car & renters insurance,elec. water sewer deposits,rental truck info to move and any general info on a town you think would be suitable.

Any information that you feel would be beneficial would be appreciated. Or if you feel we would not be NC material at all. Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 11:20 AM

13,380 posts, read 27,127,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo70 View Post
Any information that you feel would be beneficial would be appreciated. Or if you feel we would not be NC material at all.
There is good advice in this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/weste...appointed.html

Regarding Asheville, the gist of it is that the pay is low and jobs are hard to find. Home prices are higher because of the number of retirees who want to be there. Retirees also depress wages because they are often willing to work at low-pay part-time jobs to keep busy.

I suggest looking at cities other than Asheville. The person with the banking experience might look at the suburbs of Charlotte, but there have been lay-offs in that industry. I'd also suggest using indeed.com to do a preliminary survey of jobs in several cities, and include smaller cities like Morganton and Hickory. Also look at the Winston-Salem and Greensboro areas. There are also reportedly more jobs in the Greenville/Spartanburg areas of South Carolina where you are also close to the mountains.

If you think it's realistic for you to find a job, then come back with specific questions. I'm assuming it would be easier for the person with fast food experience to find a job once a banking job is located.

Last edited by goldenage1; 11-02-2012 at 11:52 AM..

Old 11-02-2012, 12:32 PM

679 posts, read 1,464,718 times
It would be hard to argue with anything GoldenAge said. Asheville is not a place you come to looking for a job. It is a place you come to because you have one, or because you carry one with you (a number of us telecommute from here).

Old 11-02-2012, 03:26 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,861,861 times
Since you don't seem to know much about NC (can you tell us why you picked this state in particular?), here is a clickable list of all of the cities/towns of size, where you can learn about each.

North Carolina is #5 in the country right now in Unemployment, so I'm not sure why you picked this state as a place to "Get a job quickly"? I think Texas and the DC area, plus less desirable places like North Dakota, are where the hot job markets are right now.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:24 PM

52 posts, read 90,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Since you don't seem to know much about NC (can you tell us why you picked this state in particular?), here is a clickable list of all of the cities/towns of size, where you can learn about each.

North Carolina is #5 in the country right now in Unemployment, so I'm not sure why you picked this state as a place to "Get a job quickly"? I think Texas and the DC area, plus less desirable places like North Dakota, are where the hot job markets are right now.

some family and a few friends in both Tennessee and NC. I wanted multiple reviews and comments. thanks!!!

Old 11-03-2012, 09:46 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,851,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo70 View Post
My Family and I are interested in the state of North Carolina and would like to move there. We are wondering if we could possibly get some feedback on what city might be right for us and where not to go.
*)We are interested in Mountains and water but prefer mountains. We do not want too close to the ocean.
*) We are interested in renting a home or apartment for awhile then perhaps looking into buying a home later after we've settled.
*)We have an 11 year old girl and 13 year old boy and would like a safe area.( I understand that crime can occur anywhere)
*)We like a Medium City....not a town where everything closes at 5pm. We like a little bit bigger town so there is shopping and plenty of restaurants close by.
*)We enjoy natural scenery, waterfalls, mountain view.....although not living "on" a mountain.
*)My husband is a smoker so he wouldn't want to be in a smoke-free town where he couldn't smoke outdoors on a porch. He is not an inside smoker.
*)We do not drink so doesn't matter if it is a dry County or not.
*)We would prefer no strip clubs,etc.
*)Would not like year round schooling.
*)We enjoy crafts but are not real country.(ex:county music,western wear)
*)getting jobs would be a must and quickly! prefer not to drive a long ways to work but would travel some.I've been in Banking for 20 years and Banking Management for 8 and would be interested in anything handling money and/or/ customer service. My husband has been in fast food Management (earlier days) and also Manufacturing for a number of years. What are the average wages?
*) Would like cost of living info such as car & renters insurance,elec. water sewer deposits,rental truck info to move and any general info on a town you think would be suitable.

Any information that you feel would be beneficial would be appreciated. Or if you feel we would not be NC material at all. Thanks!!!!
Honestly, I don't think NC is for you, sorry

I highly recommend you consider Knoxville, TN - it's the only city near NC that has most of the things you describe wanting/needing - especially jobs.

A close second for you,and another really good choice for your requirements, would be Roanoke, VA.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:15 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,879,396 times
I second lovesMountains suggestion of Knoxville as opposed to somewhere in NC.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:08 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,310,352 times
Hickory and Morganton would fit most of your criteria, but you might not be able to get jobs.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:41 PM

19,456 posts, read 27,925,506 times
This is the single most important thing you need to ask:

Quote:
Apply to the banks that have a national presence and see what they offer you. Or, better yet, ask the bank you currently work for if they have an opportunity to transfer you.

Really, with two kids, the job has got to come first.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:18 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,751,258 times
One hope for a banking job in a non-big town is State Employees Credit Union. They often have branches in disperse locations serving schools, DOT centers and the like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina