Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 08:26 PM
MB2 MB2 started this thread

3,496 posts, read 9,432,957 times

Advertisements

People in this forum must get so sick and tired of me, and my seemingly never ending task of searching for a place to move to.
OK...here it goes....My husband and I hear over and over, that people in NC (native NC people) are very much to themselves, shut "outsiders" out, only employ "their" own kind etc. And, if you don't belong to a church...forget about it altogether.
I told my husband, that I wasn't aware of having to cross borders to get into other states, that us northern people would only be allowed and excepted say...in NY.....or other northern states?
I am sorry...I just think that is such nonsense. (And I told him that as well!)
He is freaking out....confused on where to move to, and I am laughing. Because, I didn't have a worry in the world, when I moved all the way here to the USA from Germany in 1990. You make some friends, which will love you to death, you will meet some sell-outs, and you will make some enemies as well along the way. Isn't it ultimately up to the individual itself????
Please give me some good responses I can show my husband....just calming him down a bit, and taking the edge off......lol.
Thank's a million!!!

Old 05-16-2007, 08:31 PM

73 posts, read 82,359 times
People are cliquish. What are you going to do? I don't actively shun Yankees but all things equal I would choose to hang out with and hire a local guy first. Church is also a big part of social life in the South. Nothing wrong with that. It is just the way things are.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:42 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,023 times
I think it depends on where you live in NC. The big cities are full of people from all walks of life so folks may be a lot less cliquish. Any ideas just where in NC you may be thinking?

Old 05-16-2007, 08:43 PM

149 posts, read 473,895 times
what happens if you just plain don't want to go to church??? I am a believer, but have grown to dislike organized religion...is NC part of the 'bible belt'???

Old 05-16-2007, 08:45 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,023 times
Yes NC is part of the Bible belt although they are plenty of folks who are transplants especially in the larger cities.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by future texan View Post
what happens if you just plain don't want to go to church??? I am a believer, but have grown to dislike organized religion...is NC part of the 'bible belt'???
Yes, NC is part of the Bible belt. Not the buckle but definitely a part.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
I think it depends on where you live in NC. The big cities are full of people from all walks of life so folks may be a lot less cliquish. Any ideas just where in NC you may be thinking?
LOL...that's my dilemma...you tell ME, which area I should avoid and not run into some scenario like that. I was checking out Lincolnton, Catawba, Kings Mountain and Rock/ Fort Mill..........?????
(Giving up on Mooresville and surrounding areas for financial reasons)

Old 05-16-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
LOL...that's my dilemma...you tell ME, which area I should avoid and not run into some scenario like that. I was checking out Lincolnton, Catawba, Kings Mountain and Rock/ Fort Mill..........?????
(Giving up on Mooresville and surrounding areas for financial reasons)
Lincolnton, Catawba and Kings Mtn are out. Fort Mill and Rock Hill are definite maybes.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyClifton View Post
People are cliquish. What are you going to do? I don't actively shun Yankees but all things equal I would choose to hang out with and hire a local guy first. Church is also a big part of social life in the South. Nothing wrong with that. It is just the way things are.
Wow....and I am a "foreign yankee" nontheless....Guess I am in s**** creek....lol
I can't believe it's 2007, and I am hearing THIS!
And, why exactly would you hang out and hire a local guy first?

Old 05-16-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyClifton View Post
Lincolnton, Catawba and Kings Mtn are out. Fort Mill and Rock Hill are definite maybes.
Wow, you are a tough critter...lol
Tell me, is it pure conisidence, that those two places are located OUTSIDE NC?
Tell me, am I allowed to at least work in "your" city ...say Charlotte?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina