Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 01:53 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It's already been said that a sign saying "No Turn on Red" means you cannot turn right (sometimes there are hours listed, such as school hours near a school). Otherwise, you can turn. No confusion.
This is in the NC DMV Handbook as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 02:11 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
This is in the NC DMV Handbook as well.
Actually, the handbook includes the adjective "circular" when describing the red light in that circumstance (Page 85), which is partly what's causing confusion when talking about an arrow. The section on red arrows does not address right turns on them, either allowing or disallowing them.

But the Crosstown Traffic piece I linked to seems to explain it pretty well.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:31 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,937,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
Typical "native".. thanks for the education! Some would say that following the lead of proven systems would help those who aren't there yet. IMO.. But, thanks again.. always refreshing!
Seems like folks here treat "No turn on Red", "Right turn after stop on red" and stop signs as suggestions. I don't think it's a question of if I get hit, I think it's a matter of when.

Here's the one that confuses me: right turn when there's a yield sign and a red light. Is it stop, yield then turn? That's how I treat it (with rude consequences).

Old 10-19-2009, 02:46 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
Seems like folks here treat "No turn on Red", "Right turn after stop on red" and stop signs as suggestions. I don't think it's a question of if I get hit, I think it's a matter of when.

Here's the one that confuses me: right turn when there's a yield sign and a red light. Is it stop, yield then turn? That's how I treat it (with rude consequences).
Is there a small island between the straight and right turn lanes ? At certain intersections (i.e. some highway on-ramps) you don't have to stop, but only yield, as you can effectively "turn" before reaching the stop line for the traffic light.

Frank

Last edited by frankpc; 10-19-2009 at 03:02 PM..

Old 10-19-2009, 03:06 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Typical "native".. thanks for the education! Some would say that following the lead of proven systems would help those who aren't there yet. IMO.. But, thanks again.. always refreshing!
And I could have called you a "typical transplant" by saying NC "[isn't] there yet" just because we don't do things the way you did "back home"...but I didn't .

The "you can turn Right on Red unless there is a sign saying otherwise" rule goes back to at least the 1970s because I specifically remember when it went into affect. How "proven a system" do you want?

But by all means, feel free to write to the Dept of Transportation and suggest your "superior methods" and how we "aren't there yet" according to where you come from. I'm sure they will love the advice!

Old 10-19-2009, 04:17 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Actually...I did some research into this last week because there seemed to be so much confusion on the topic...turns out that most states have laws that either explicitly allow or disallow right turns on red arrows...NC is one of the states that does not mention right turn on red arrows in its statutes...to add to the confusion, it is also not mentioned in the drivers handbook provided to new arrivals to the state.

However...there is a DOT regulation that permits right turns on red arrows:
CHAPTER 4A

Old 10-19-2009, 04:34 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,880 times
Quote:
THANKS! It just seems odd that NC goes out of it's way to make it an arrow instead of just a red light.

--knowing is half the battle
they have the in MA also. i always wondered about it, but i decided to err on the side of uncaution and just go thru them after stopping.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:51 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
And I could have called you a "typical transplant" by saying NC "[isn't] there yet" just because we don't do things the way you did "back home"...but I didn't .

The "you can turn Right on Red unless there is a sign saying otherwise" rule goes back to at least the 1970s because I specifically remember when it went into affect. How "proven a system" do you want?

But by all means, feel free to write to the Dept of Transportation and suggest your "superior methods" and how we "aren't there yet" according to where you come from. I'm sure they will love the advice!
Yes. I can understand the confusion because the laws vary by state but I don't understand why NC residents aren't believed when explaining the rules here.

Plain and simple. You can turn on red unless there is a sign saying otherwise, You must make a complete stop first! I learned this when I took driver's education (as a full course in high school). All the people making turns on red are NOT doing anything illegal.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:12 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
This thread, like the one it references is chock full of bad information that will sooner or later get someone a ticket; or worse an accident.
  • For a circular red light, you can make a right turn after coming to a stop as long as there is no sign saying otherwise.
  • For a red arrow light, you must stop and wait for green unless there is a sign saying otherwise.
4.2 No Right Turn on Red
NCGS Authority: §20-158(b)(2a)
NCAC Authority: N/A
TEPPL Reference: N/A
Ordinance Required: Yes
Ordinance Type: 4
Overlap Restriction: None
Typical Signs: R10-11, R10-11a
Other Signs: R10-11b, R10-17a
Guidance:
No vehicle shall make a right turn at a "red circular light" if the movement is prohibited by an appropriate sign (§20-158, b, 2a).
No vehicle shall make a right turn at a red arrow unless the movement is allowed by an appropriate sign (MUTCD Sections 4D.04 and 4D.05).

Old 06-21-2016, 02:32 PM

49 posts, read 60,255 times
Default Law changed in 2012

Actually, it seems the original posts were correct at the time, but are not any more:

| The Charlotte Observer
Now everyone agrees: No right turn at a red arrow | The Charlotte Observer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina