Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 07:06 PM

188 posts, read 597,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
-------------------------------
| |
| |
| |
As above, two-lane highway
the top lane going to the left and bottom lane going to the right, an intersection on the "bottom" lane (maybe another road, or just a drive-through fast food place)
Is there any difference if there is a left turn lane?

If a driver traveling to the left wants to exit the highway and a drive at the fast-food place wants to make a left turn to enter the highway. Both need to cross a lane which they should yield to. So who has the right of way?

Usually I wait until it's pretty clear whether the other driver is going first or not.. But for once some old dude yelled and cursed at me for waiting for him to go first... I got so confused...

Last edited by PRND321; 09-14-2013 at 07:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 07:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
All I see is lines, Is there anyway you can give the Google address to understand the highway intersection better?

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-14-2013 at 08:06 PM..

Old 09-14-2013, 08:04 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRND321 View Post

the top lane going to the left and
bottom lane going to the right,
an intersection on the "bottom" lane (maybe another road, or just a drive-through fast food place)

If a driver traveling to the left wants to exit the highway and a drive at the fast-food place wants to make a left turn to enter the highway. Both need to cross a lane which they should yield to. So who has the right of way?

Usually I wait until it's pretty clear whether the other driver is going first or not.. But for once some old dude yelled and cursed at me for waiting for him to go first... I got so confused...
The primary road always has the right of way. It is primary if there are no stop lights or stop signs. Are you saying there is no stop signs coming out of the drive through? It's important because it's different than if it's just a road. Certainly if the bottom lane is a road there would be a device to control movement and that would likely be a stop sign at the drive-through.

Otherwise there is a problem with signage because if there was a light there'd be no question. And turning lane matters not.

And if no light pedestrians would have the first right of way.

Here's how to remember. The car in motion is already in the intersection though of course it may stop to make the turn. This is considering that there is a stop sign to the bottom lane. Whoever is already in the intersection wins.

See page 52: http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/ha...dl_english.pdf

Old 09-15-2013, 08:31 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRND321 View Post
the top lane going to the left and bottom lane going to the right, an intersection on the "bottom" lane (maybe another road, or just a drive-through fast food place)

You were most likely yelled at because the old dude may have been there first and thought he had the right of way, or either he didn't see you and it scared the s**t out of him when he did and dropped his egg McMuffin as a result.
However, as I would understand it a person turning off a primary road, without traffic control device, would have the right of way over the person entering the primary road from a side street or driveway.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:42 AM

188 posts, read 597,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
The primary road always has the right of way. It is primary if there are no stop lights or stop signs. Are you saying there is no stop signs coming out of the drive through? It's important because it's different than if it's just a road. Certainly if the bottom lane is a road there would be a device to control movement and that would likely be a stop sign at the drive-through.

Otherwise there is a problem with signage because if there was a light there'd be no question. And turning lane matters not.

And if no light pedestrians would have the first right of way.

Here's how to remember. The car in motion is already in the intersection though of course it may stop to make the turn. This is considering that there is a stop sign to the bottom lane. Whoever is already in the intersection wins.

See page 52: http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/ha...dl_english.pdf
Thanks

Quote:
When two or more vehicles reach an intersection at the same time, the vehicle to the right has the right of way
I guess that explains it. Usually the vehicle to the right is the one on the primary road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina