Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 07:21 AM

414 posts, read 1,382,114 times

Advertisements

I want to know what people are doing about jobs when they move to NC.

Are you moving down first then finding a job?

Or do you have a job lined up when you move down?

Baiscally I heard they will not higher you if you live out of state.

I think my plan will be to buy a house then move then try and find a job.

What is everyone else doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2006, 07:29 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,909,623 times
We plan to find a job first, as I could not move down without employment. I too have heard it is hard to get a job unless you are there but many do find employment I think it depends on what you do, etc...

I know some people who have found jobs prior - I think it depends on what you do..

Old 07-19-2006, 07:34 AM

889 posts, read 3,119,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLTZ
I want to know what people are doing about jobs when they move to NC.

Are you moving down first then finding a job?

Or do you have a job lined up when you move down?

Baiscally I heard they will not higher you if you live out of state.

I think my plan will be to buy a house then move then try and find a job.

What is everyone else doing?
For us, we moved w/out jobs.
We have been here a month and just starting to look for work. Wish us luck

Old 07-19-2006, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc
For us, we moved w/out jobs.
We have been here a month and just starting to look for work. Wish us luck
So you got settled then decided to look for work?

Did you purchase a house?

Your not having a problem finding jobs are you?

Good Luck!!

Old 07-19-2006, 07:58 AM

693 posts, read 2,762,901 times
keep in mind that you won't be able to get a mortgage without a local job or a telecommuting agreement (they'll verify it).

obviously this is not a problem if you can buy the house outright.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener
keep in mind that you won't be able to get a mortgage without a local job or a telecommuting agreement (they'll verify it).

obviously this is not a problem if you can buy the house outright.
What I will do is buy the house while im still working out of state. After its done being built I will work a few more months than make the move. I spoke with a lot of sales reps from new constructions and they said everyone was doing this.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:29 AM

164 posts, read 353,554 times
Default moving first

We are from California - moving first and then finding a job. Selling our house here will enable us to either buy outright or have a small mortgage (though the house will be nothing fancy). My husband has some leads, but it's so difficult because employers would rather hire a local.

One problem - friends/family are shocked that anyone would move a family of 6 across the country without a job first. Also, I'm giving up my job as an attorney to stay home with the kids, which is another shocker for people. We've found that unless we walk around with our bank statements to show people we are financially capable of our plan, we have to listen to the constant questioning and open skepticism. Our solution - we've "dressed up the truth" (aka lied). We now say that Brent has a job pretty well lined up and that they are willing to wait for us to sell.

Overall, I'd say that coordinating this entire plan has been the most stressful part - good luck to you with however you move to NC. It will work out!!

Connie

Old 07-19-2006, 09:34 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,092,451 times
[quote=Grass Is Greener]keep in mind that you won't be able to get a mortgage without a local job or a telecommuting agreement (they'll verify it).

I've been told the opposite. For instance, when working with Citi, they were willing to approve me for a mortgage, based on my current employment status, even though I was clear about now having employment lined up in NC.

Not possible?

Old 07-19-2006, 09:35 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,092,451 times
[quote=connie]We are from California - moving first and then finding a job. Selling our house here will enable us to either buy outright or have a small mortgage (though the house will be nothing fancy). My husband has some leads, but it's so difficult because employers would rather hire a local.

One problem - friends/family are shocked that anyone would move a family of 6 across the country without a job first. Also, I'm giving up my job as an attorney to stay home with the kids, which is another shocker for people.

Connie,

Good luck to you and your family! Sounds exciting. How wonderful for you to be able to make this lifestyle change. I often wish that I could be a SAHM.

SL

Old 07-19-2006, 09:45 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,857,587 times
I have been told by a realtor there in Raleigh that there are three criteria upon which lenders base their decisions: stellar credit history, employment status and evidence of financial resources. It is not necessary to have all three but you must have two of the three. Obviously retirees will not have employment status but with really good credit worthiness and "money in the bank" it shouldn't be a problem. For younger families, having any other combination of the three requirements should ensure being able to obtain a mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina