Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 05:40 PM

3 posts, read 6,266 times

Advertisements

I am a recently divorced mother of 2 (8 and 2 years old) and I was justing wondering if there were any other people out here in my same situation and if so are there any suggestions for this process. We are planning to visit NC this weekend to look at some places.

I am looking forward to moving I have spent my entire life in washington, dc and really feel that this is a great step for our future. I am just a little terrified of the unknown. Any help is appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 07:56 PM

14 posts, read 385,055 times
Moving to the unknown is a big deal for anyone, especially with children. Make sure you do your research, Good luck!

Old 02-25-2007, 10:54 PM

644 posts, read 3,322,131 times
Default Moving

Moving is very scary. I'm trying to move too but it's terrifying, isn't it? I'm in Los Angeles currently. I was also in MA for a while but the reason I won't move back is the same reason why I'm leaving L.A.: cost of housing.

I would suggest you do what I do, and that is to research, research, research. I've been posting on Craigs List too, asking people for advice. I've learned a lot. At some point, you take the plunge!

Old 02-26-2007, 03:54 AM

98 posts, read 637,469 times
any change is scary but at least with young children you will get to know other parents as the kids make friends so easy - good luck

Old 02-26-2007, 05:56 AM

889 posts, read 3,118,749 times
Do you have a game plan for the areas you are interested in?

Old 02-26-2007, 07:24 AM

98 posts, read 637,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
Do you have a game plan for the areas you are interested in?
good point - you really need to set criteria on which area you are interested in living, research the schools, how much money you have available to spend on property, rent or purchase, rural or city

pretty obvious really but will help focus time during your visit as the clock ticks fast otherwise - probably a good idea to plan a 2nd visit a month later so that you have time to analyse what you discovered on the 1st visit

Old 02-26-2007, 10:24 AM

I am currently looking at the Cary, Raleigh-Durham areas. I am making arrangements to visit in the upcoming weeks to view the shcools, communities, etc. I want to live in a city but not as busy as the one i currently live in.

The only thing I am most concerned with is the fact that I will pretty much be alone. The only family I have in the area live in Selma and Kenly. which isnt that close.

there is just so much to do in so little time!

Old 02-26-2007, 10:33 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,348,489 times
Why so little time? Do you have a position lined up? Obviously, I do not know your exact situation, but does the father have any issues with your moving away with the children? Unless he's an abusive parent or incarcerated, the courts are rather leery of this. Be careful - I speak from experience......

Old 02-26-2007, 10:48 AM

647 posts, read 3,342,140 times
I grew up in the DC area too. NC will feel a lot different to you, but not necessarily in a bad way, assuming you're looking for a BIG change. It's quieter, people are nicer, it's not all about where you work and who you know, etc. We're hoping to move to Raleigh soon, and I'm confident that it'll be a much better place to raise our kids then most places we've lived.

Take more then a weekend and do lots of research. Change is hard, but with lots of research and planning, it can often be for the best.

Good luck!

Old 02-27-2007, 05:51 PM

I am moving at the end of June, I want my daughter to finish her school year out here in DC. My ex-husband is really about himself right now even to the point of saying "...dont look for child support in NC..." I am really doing this to make a better life for me and my kids. Financially I have noticed that while the cost of living is much better than DC the pay range is really different as well (which is to be expected) research is well underway and ongoing. That is what brought me to this site, so comments and suggestions are welcomed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina