Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 11:24 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,847,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguy
I'm trying to wrap my mind around this HOA concept as its only something we have in either condos or in very limited scope in newer neighborhoods here (i.e. mailboxes should be of so and so size, etc) but any neighborhood built before mid 90s no way

Here in CA we definately have neighborhoods that were built in the 80's that have HOA's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2006, 11:55 PM

333 posts, read 1,205,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing
Well, downtowns are becoming gentrified with old brick buildings turned into twee lofts. You may encounter the kind of people who try to dictate the circumference of your flowerpots there, too.

I guess it's a minority of people who merely ask that their neighbors keep things tidy without being stick-up-the-butt prim That's why we live in a rural area with acres between us and the neighbors. We don't want to see rank, overgrown yards and junkers, but I'm not going to get all twitterpated about seeing a boat or RV parked next to the house. We have a trailer that we sometimes use to haul our motorcycles long distance parked behind our house. And it seems like we are always working on one project or another where we pile scrap material behind the house for later transport to the dump. Our neighbors are the same way and nobody cares. I think that everyone wrinkles their nose at seeing a trampoline in the front yard, but that seems to be a ubiquitous symbol that Al Bundy-types live there.

I think that we're all freedom lovin' misanthropes in my area . We don't want people sticking their noses in our business or telling us how to manage our property
Yes - up here there are certain suburbs which we affectionally somehow associate with Kentucky affixed to the true name of the suburb, i.e. Taylor would become Taylortucky and in those suburbs you have the whole cars on blocks, mess all around, etc (I am generalizing, I am sure there are some nice parts too) but you know by reputation, and by simply driving around what neighborhoods are like that and which are not. Granted on any street in any city yuo can have that bad neighbor but to legistlate EVERYONE for the .5% of people who suck up a place seems overzealous. It is like letting the micro few who stink things up ***** it up for everyone else.

p.s. I assume there is no way to petition, i.e. 80% majority or any rules like that to get rid of a HOA? I mean where does it stop? Because a HOA was in place in 1989 does that mean it will be there in 2089?? Even if its a well kept up neighborhood of people who take care of their stuff, there can be no way to get rid of them

Well my issue with the whole HOA thing (on a personal basis) on the urban versus outlier suburbs or inner suburbs (where HOA's seem to reign supreme) is 1) I want to be nearer to the downtown areas for work and/or cultural stuff and/or restaurants that are not chains/places to go etc and 2) the farther out from the core, the general consensus is the more religious slash conservative it gets and outsiders are not assimilated so easily. So before this HOA thing came up, if you didnt want to be in the core urban area but still wanted some larger land of lot and house built say within 20 years you would think the inner suburbs would be a good compromise but apparently I have to pay someone $1200 a year to tell me how to live like a good neighbor. I thouhgt State Farm was there to be a good neighbor (ok I had to use that joke) But seriously - I can invest $1200 a year and have a nice kitty for retirement in 30 years.

So now I am torn, sigh...

Old 08-05-2006, 12:30 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,053,687 times
Quote:
Granted on any street in any city you can have that bad neighbor but to legistlate EVERYONE for the .5% of people who suck up a place seems overzealous.
BINGO

Btw, if anyone wants to read about "JD8: The Neighbor from Hell" check this link http://totfc.net/misc/rednecks/ (broken link). I don't think that is the original owner of the page. It just became such a famous internet story that a lot of people now have copies of it

Old 08-05-2006, 12:55 AM

re: The Colony

Sounds interesting. However the next time I watch anything on Lifetime, will be the first time?? lol

I have 2 dogs...luckily they only bark at other dogs and not people. However, barking at other dogs might be enough of a penalty in some of these HOA's to have them muted. Darn I knew NC was not all it was cracked up to be! Always a catch in the fine print haha

Old 08-05-2006, 05:27 PM

741 posts, read 3,517,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing
BINGO

Btw, if anyone wants to read about "JD8: The Neighbor from Hell" check this link http://totfc.net/misc/rednecks/ (broken link). I don't think that is the original owner of the page. It just became such a famous internet story that a lot of people now have copies of it
that was great reading.

Old 08-05-2006, 07:32 PM

295 posts, read 1,300,300 times
Count me for being against HOA, too. My problem, though, is I'm looking for a new build home and it looks like my only options are in developments. I'm hoping to find what I'm looking for with as minimal an intrusion as possible from the HOA. It pisses me off to see high fees when there isn't even any pool or recreational stuff to take care of. Maybe just a sign at the entrance to the development.

In any case - does anyone know why there are so many HOA's against people having fenced backyards and/or inground pools? Its dumbfounding to me. They are hardly eyesores, and generally improve property value. I have a professionally built & installed 6' fence here in NY and it has vastly improved the look and feel of my backyard. Its also a key selling feature now that I'm trying to sell my house. Why would it be banned - assuming that its at 6' or less? I'd love to have a place the dogs can go outside without me worrying about them running away or getting hit by a car, etc. (And no, there's no way I want the electric invisible fence in my yard or on my dog. Too many stories of it failing or a dog being able to overcome it.)

Old 08-07-2006, 01:43 PM

483 posts, read 1,571,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samohtal
Count me for being against HOA, too. My problem, though, is I'm looking for a new build home and it looks like my only options are in developments. I'm hoping to find what I'm looking for with as minimal an intrusion as possible from the HOA. It pisses me off to see high fees when there isn't even any pool or recreational stuff to take care of. Maybe just a sign at the entrance to the development.

In any case - does anyone know why there are so many HOA's against people having fenced backyards and/or inground pools? Its dumbfounding to me. They are hardly eyesores, and generally improve property value. I have a professionally built & installed 6' fence here in NY and it has vastly improved the look and feel of my backyard. Its also a key selling feature now that I'm trying to sell my house. Why would it be banned - assuming that its at 6' or less? I'd love to have a place the dogs can go outside without me worrying about them running away or getting hit by a car, etc. (And no, there's no way I want the electric invisible fence in my yard or on my dog. Too many stories of it failing or a dog being able to overcome it.)
Of some of the HOA communities I have seen, I haven't seen any of them that DON'T allow fencing. The only thing is that you are limited to the type of fence and the height you want. Not sure about inground swimming pools though.

Old 08-07-2006, 01:56 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,708,113 times
I have nothing against new build ( my husband builds them ) my question is why? I used to think that way until i bought my last two houses, 1917 really full of character and mine now that I have to sell because we are moving is 1984, I have a huge .89 treed lot, really cool house, it is hard to find these in new homes. Are people just scared of the age thing and repair? Ask me they were better built then.

Old 08-07-2006, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1
I have nothing against new build ( my husband builds them ) my question is why? I used to think that way until i bought my last two houses, 1917 really full of character and mine now that I have to sell because we are moving is 1984, I have a huge .89 treed lot, really cool house, it is hard to find these in new homes. Are people just scared of the age thing and repair? Ask me they were better built then.
Yes I think that is 1 thing. In our geography they are usually smaller homes and "closed floor plans", meaning each room is its own world. When I go to newer homes (say late 80s and after) that is when the open floor space thing really seemed to take off. So when I look at older homes (and I love them on the "outside") they are very hard to imagine on the inside being contemporary at least up here... I am thinking more along 1100-1400 sq foot bungalows so maybe you are talking about much bigger houses and maybe they built them differently down in other places of the world.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:42 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,708,113 times
Quote:
Yes I think that is 1 thing. In our geography they are usually smaller homes and "closed floor plans", meaning each room is its own world. When I go to newer homes (say late 80s and after) that is when the open floor space thing really seemed to take off. So when I look at older homes (and I love them on the "outside") they are very hard to imagine on the inside being contemporary at least up here... I am thinking more along 1100-1400 sq foot bungalows so maybe you are talking about much bigger houses and maybe they built them differently down in other places of the world.

My house is 2400 sq ft. i guess I just prefer defined rooms, I cant stand living dining combos, i prefer a formal eating and living and not have my kitchen exposed to the rest of the house. Although the older ones I have seen all have good flow from room to room. I feel the older homes have more character and the new ones all look the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina