Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 01:35 PM

336 posts, read 513,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob
^ My neighborhood has no HOAs and you don't see anything like that there. Especially the car part...there are city rules against that stuff.
Some of the non-hoa neighborhoods in the town that I just moved away from had pretty bad above ground pool infestations. I hate them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2006, 02:16 PM

693 posts, read 2,761,578 times
hey that's actually a good looking above ground pool. i usually find them hideous but this one is neat.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:27 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,409,725 times
^Yeah I wouldn't mind if any of my neighbors had that, as long as it was in the back yard and not up all year-long.

Old 07-19-2006, 02:43 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,833,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S.
Some of the non-hoa neighborhoods in the town that I just moved away from had pretty bad above ground pool infestations. I hate them.

]

Um, I live in an HOA neighborhood and we have an above ground pool like that in our backyard In all fairness, it is a temporary structure (we set it up in June and take it down in August). Our HOA covenants do not address the issue of pools at all. I love ours and I sure hope my neighbors aren't offended by it

Last edited by shaylahc; 07-19-2006 at 03:01 PM..

Old 07-19-2006, 07:40 PM

483 posts, read 1,568,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob
^ My neighborhood has no HOAs and you don't see anything like that there. Especially the car part...there are city rules against that stuff.
Well, where I currently live (Long Island,NY) the town has fairly strict ordinants and zoning laws but we are not part of a HOA. However, the problem we have is that our next door neighbor has a boat on the side of their house that is basically rotted, he has an unfinished deck on the 2nd floor and he has a lot of junk in his back yard. When we were selling our house, many loved it but were deterred by what they had seen next door. Despite the fact that they are very nice people, it was hurting us in selling our home. Fortunately we have buyers that are willing to look beyond that.

So in my opinion, I don't mind being part of a HOA. Now I may not agree with everything they are stating in their covenants, but for the most part I don't have a problem with it.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:49 PM

312 posts, read 1,905,381 times
I prefer HOA mainly because it's to keep the community looks nicer and less junk. I'm tired of living in FL without HOA and seeing all garbages, junks on their yard, offensive paint color, broken city lights, cracked sidewalk, all year round Christmas lights, you name it.

I'm planning to move into my new Johnston County house with HOA and first time ever, I'll feel relieved!

Old 07-19-2006, 08:05 PM

543 posts, read 1,825,649 times
Yeah, um, we chose to live in an hoa community also. Like everyone has been saying it's only as good as the people who run it and if they don't enforce the rules then it turns to crap.

When we bought we got a 150 page document with all the restrictions and hoa responsibilites. It's mostly all reasonable stuff. No christmas lights after easter, no broken cars in the yard, no trash laying around etc.

What I don't like about it is that any improvements to your lot have to be approved and they have 30 days to do it. We requested approval for a fence a month before we moved in and it was approved and installed a week after we got here. Now we're waiting for approval on our pool.

One thing nobody mentions when buying around the lake is the impervious surface limitations. Lots of the areas around Lake Norman are in Water shed district where there can only be a certain amount of impervious surface per lot. Keep an eye on that stuff it may limit your building plans later on.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:15 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,473,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh
Yeah, um, we chose to live in an hoa community also. Like everyone has been saying it's only as good as the people who run it and if they don't enforce the rules then it turns to crap.

When we bought we got a 150 page document with all the restrictions and hoa responsibilites. It's mostly all reasonable stuff. No christmas lights after easter, no broken cars in the yard, no trash laying around etc.

What I don't like about it is that any improvements to your lot have to be approved and they have 30 days to do it. We requested approval for a fence a month before we moved in and it was approved and installed a week after we got here. Now we're waiting for approval on our pool.

One thing nobody mentions when buying around the lake is the impervious surface limitations. Lots of the areas around Lake Norman are in Water shed district where there can only be a certain amount of impervious surface per lot. Keep an eye on that stuff it may limit your building plans later on.

Do you mind me asking what the quote you got on your pool is? You don't have to answer if you don't want to. I was just wondering if the prices were similar to the West.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:07 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,409,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeprincess
I prefer HOA mainly because it's to keep the community looks nicer and less junk. I'm tired of living in FL without HOA and seeing all garbages, junks on their yard, offensive paint color, broken city lights, cracked sidewalk, all year round Christmas lights, you name it.

I'm planning to move into my new Johnston County house with HOA and first time ever, I'll feel relieved!
Yeah, I guess if you live outside city limits, then an HOA may be useful.
But if you're in the city down here, they take care of most of those problems: city lights, sidewalk, yard junk, garbage, etc. (You might have to call them to let them know something's wrong, but they'll get to it...I've never had a problem with Raleigh in that regard.)
They probably couldn't help with the xmas lights thing though. (*Shrug*).
As far as house paint colors....unless it's a historic district, it's not really an issue. I guess if my neighbor wants to paint his house turquoise, it's his business, not mine. At least he's painting the house, period.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:00 AM

543 posts, read 1,825,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
Do you mind me asking what the quote you got on your pool is? You don't have to answer if you don't want to. I was just wondering if the prices were similar to the West.
Well the original quote for a 14*28 vinyl inground with 4 foot cement deck all around was $16,500.00, 16*32 is $18913. Includes all installation, filter, steps, etc.. Not too bad but you always end up adding stuff anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina