Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 01:16 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,502,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
So my wife has a serious concern.
She was laid off June 2011 and has been collecting benefits since. This week she logged in to file a claim and saw a message stating she has 2 weeks remaining? Is this the total weeks left to collect or is there another tier? There was something about a letter being sent, which she has not received.

Does she need to file a new claim or just continue with her current claim and file weekly as usual?
File weekly, as usual. NC is probably alerting you to the end of Tier I or, more likely, that she is approaching her benefit year end (bye).

Did her original claim qualify for the full 26 weeks' benefits? If so, then, your wife should call NC to recertify her claim after she claims those final two weeks, as she is reaching the end of her first benefit year (6/12). NC will continue her EUC Tier benefits if she has not worked at all during her benefit year. If she had a full claim, she should have remaining under her old claim after her bye (benefit year end) the following federal benefits:

08 weeks Tier II
13 weeks Tier III
10 weeks Tier IV (after 9/1) - if NC UE rate is at least 9%.

If she has worked, NC may open a new claim. In that event, most states allow claimants to resume federal benefits from the first claim after state benefits from that new claim are exhausted - if Congress extends the UE legislation the end of this year.

More info here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/23479399-post5.html

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-06-2012 at 01:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 02:37 PM

7 posts, read 26,347 times
I kept a record of all weekly benefit claims paid to me and compared them to my online history at The NC ESC. I see no proof that I was ever paid from money left over in my Total Possible Benefits bucket after my 26 weeks completed and before Tier 1 started. It looks like Tier 1 started as soon as my 26 weeks of benefit completed. Now, NC ESC states that I am eligible for 6 weeks of Tier 4 benefits.
If I could have claimed the money in the Total Possible Benefits bucket at the end of my 26 week period [during my benefit year] before starting to receive Tier1 benefits then I would have been eligible for 16 weeks of Tier 4 benefits instead of 6 because I would have met the qualified Trigger Date. I feel that have a right to protest. What are your thoughts?

Old 05-06-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker49 View Post
I kept a record of all weekly benefit claims paid to me and compared them to my online history at The NC ESC. I see no proof that I was ever paid from money left over in my Total Possible Benefits bucket after my 26 weeks completed and before Tier 1 started. It looks like Tier 1 started as soon as my 26 weeks of benefit completed. Now, NC ESC states that I am eligible for 6 weeks of Tier 4 benefits.
If I could have claimed the money in the Total Possible Benefits bucket at the end of my 26 week period [during my benefit year] before starting to receive Tier1 benefits then I would have been eligible for 16 weeks of Tier 4 benefits instead of 6 because I would have met the qualified Trigger Date. I feel that have a right to protest. What are your thoughts?
If you had a 26-week claim and if NC is deducting wages earned from your original monetary determination so that you exhaust your state benefits in 26 weeks no matter how much you earn, they are the only state in the country doing so. Call NC and ask them about this. The total paid you by NC before you began Tier I should equal the original state monetary determination of your claim. You should have received a letter stating this amount. Your earnings should only serve to extend that claim.

Be that as it may, it is not too late for you to access augmented Tier IV for 16 weeks - IF - you have not yet FILED YOUR CLAIM for the week ending 5/5.

Answers to your latest post on that issue here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...l#post24185570

Oy vey. Now, I've heard everything.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:13 PM

OK - I now understand what you are saying: “Exhaust dates are the weekending dates for the week you claim” NOTE: To date I did not file for week ending 5/5/12. I did re-reviewed my benefits and here is what I now understand - [I Hope I did not burn myself here] - My Tier 3 benefits actually finished on 4/21/12. For reasons unknown to me, NC ESC "KEPT" and did not pay one week of my Tier 2 benefit until 4/28/12 = the week after my Tier 3 completed. Now NC ESC states that my week ending 5/5/12 is my first week of Tier4 benefit. Did I burn myself out of ten additional weeks of benefits???? Important fact: A few weeks after I started receiving my first 26 weeks of benefits, I earned income and reported that income on a weekly claim. Doing that should have kept more money in my Total Possible Benefits bucket and extended my benefits out by one week resulting in Tier 3 ending on 5/5/12 instead of 4/28/12. I feel that my Tier 4 determination is not correct and that I have a right to protest. 1) DO YOU AGREE? 2) Should I JUST GO A HEAD AND FILE FOR WEEK ENDING 5/5/12?

Old 05-07-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Did I burn myself out of ten additional weeks of benefits???? Important fact: A few weeks after I started receiving my first 26 weeks of benefits, I earned income and reported that income on a weekly claim. Doing that should have kept more money in my Total Possible Benefits bucket and extended my benefits out by one week resulting in Tier 3 ending on 5/5/12 instead of 4/28/12. I feel that my Tier 4 determination is not correct and that I have a right to protest. 1) DO YOU AGREE? 2) Should I JUST GO A HEAD AND FILE FOR WEEK ENDING 5/5/12?
You have already exhausted Tier III with the 4/28 claim so, unfortunately, it is too late to qualify for augmented Tier IV. Earliest to exhaust Tier III to become eligible for augmented Tier IV would be with week ending 5/19, as we've said.

Certainly, call NC about how your state benefits were paid. You might want to hold off filing for first week of Tier IV week ending 5/5, until you've talked to them. Again, get out your original letter. Did NC pay you that exact total dollar amount stated in that letter, or was it less b/c of your earnings? I find it hard to believe they reduced your total monetary determination with the amount of your part-time earnings - although that may be a wrinkle in the NC UE Code.

Let us know what happens.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:38 AM

I have a copy of every single weekly claim that I was paid. They paid me for all 26 weeks benefit however, I did earn and report income on one of those weeks which reduced that weeks benefit and I thought that would keep more money available in my "Total possible benefits" bucket so that after the 26 weeks were paid [but before Tier 1 started] if still unemployed, that money would be paid out 1st before Tier 1 started. If correct then my Tier 1,2,and 3 should have ended one week later and that would result in me being a candidate for Argumentation Tier 4 benefits. I plan to file protest today! Penny for your thoughts..

Old 05-07-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I have a copy of every single weekly claim that I was paid. They paid me for all 26 weeks benefit however, I did earn and report income on one of those weeks which reduced that weeks benefit and I thought that would keep more money available in my "Total possible benefits" bucket so that after the 26 weeks were paid [but before Tier 1 started] if still unemployed, that money would be paid out 1st before Tier 1 started. If correct then my Tier 1,2,and 3 should have ended one week later and that would result in me being a candidate for Argumentation Tier 4 benefits. I plan to file protest today! Penny for your thoughts..
You should have a received an odd payment for the last week of your state benefits before beginning Tier 1, which NC should have paid out in the 27th week. So, that would push your Tier 1 eligibility back one week.

At best, you'd be looking at 5/5 for Tier III exhaustion and that is two weeks away from the date you need - 5/19. If NC's error caused you to exhaust Tier III on 5/12 instead of 4/28, you would have a more credible case. However, exhausting Tier III on 5/12 still will not get you eligibility for 16 weeks Tier IV. If any rep tells you otherwise, they are wrong. If you tell them you want to delay claiming that last week until 5/19 in order to gain eligibility for 16 weeks Tier IV, they will say you are gaming the system.

You have to call NC and see what options they offer you. I really don't have any suggestions. Frankly, I don't think there is anything you can do,

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:58 PM

OK, NC claimants. CA has figured out a workaround for the cutoff dates for Tier IV eligibility, so anyone currently collecting Tier IV or about to exhaust Tier III will be able to access 16 weeks Tier IV. CA will also end EB on 5/12.

More info here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/24208161-post832.html

Read that post and those that follow on that thread. One claimant received a letter from CA on this option and posted exact instructions on how to access the CA EDD link to the announcement.

NC could do the same. It certainly should, given its high rate of unemployment.

Contact your UE people or your state legislators. This is federal money - nothing out of NC's coffers. It may be that CA got a waiver from BLS on its Directive guidelines because CA has such a serious unemployment problem. I wouldn't think they would do this without USDOL approval.

However, it's up to your NC UE people to do whatever it takes to give you access to 16 weeks Tier IV, just as CA has done.

Good luck.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:21 AM

4 posts, read 7,402 times
Today when I claimed my week ending 5/26 after claiming the week, it stated my unemployment claim expired 5/26..Will I get paid the week ending 5/26 and can i refile on line or do i have to call customer service as indicated if any questions please call cs...

Old 06-24-2012, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,569 times
Default Second Teir Unemployment

I received a letter saying I am eligible for the Second Tier benefits, and to keep filing as usual. I have been trying to file and am unable to. I also registered with NCjobseeker like they require. Has anybody ran across this with ur unemployment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina