Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 02:16 PM

44 posts, read 63,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekiya View Post
New here but I been reading some of the theard and I have a question.
Now I wasn't on EB when it went out of effect on April 16th, I was still drawing EUC. My Tier 4 benefits ran out on May 7. My claim said benefits exhausted, but I still filed every week after that with no problem just didn't receive a payment.
I called and now I'm on EB. My question is will I get back pay for the 4 weeks I filed and didn't receive anything or will it only pick up when my EB begin.
Same here, but only one week vs. your four. When I asked yesterday, the rep said she wouldn't know until my records were updated. Today they're up-to-date, but I guess I'll have to wait to see. Already somehow lost 1-2 weeks when I went from my first to my second benefit year, I don't want to lose another week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 02:19 PM

4 posts, read 5,168 times
Hey simpleman73 I finally got through to someone. And they told me exactly what they told you. She said I would get payment for the 4 weeks on Thursday. So I guess we'll see some money on Thursday

Old 06-07-2011, 02:58 PM

11 posts, read 31,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Could there be a glitch and a claimant is getting way too many benefits? I guess it's possible, but highly unlikely if it has been going on over 20-30 weeks. It's not like there's one big master account that all benefits are drawn from...there's separate programs that each claimant is programmed into. It should throw up red flags on their end and be stopped not too long after the error was made. The "2 weeks or less remaining" message that keeps splashing up is a glitch that alot of claimants get...so I wouldn't read too much into that.

The only way I think a claimant can get benefits over two years is if they found temporary work during the two years of unemployment. Let's say you find a temporary job that will last 10 weeks, after those 10 weeks are up, you would go right back to unemployment and I'm assuming you'd pick up right where you left off. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. That person could then technically say they've been unemployed for 109 weeks and was paid each week, when actually, there were 10 weeks where they were not paid unemployment.

With all of that said, if it does manage to happen and the NCESC figures it out (which they most likely will in the end, all they have to do is pull up their claim), that person will receive overpayment letters in the mail...demanding they pay that money back by a certain date or face legal action. They would be able to appeal it...but to be honest, there's not going to be any good excuse. "I didn't know" or "I thought it was ok" or "Well it wasn't my fault the ESC kept giving me money" really isn't going to make them say, "Bah, alright you can keep the money!". We're all expected to know where we stand in the process and how much we're supposed to get. Any money a person gets that they're not entitled to needs to be reported immediately. If all of this is actually true...your friend could owe, what, anywhere from $5K to as much as $10K? That would be terribly unfortunate, but hopefully there's an explanation.
Thanks for your response. This person had NOT worked any temporary jobs, so this is not the case. I'm really scared for her. She doesn't have 5K--10K to pay back if they would demand it.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:36 PM

776 posts, read 1,684,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catco View Post
Thanks for your response. This person had NOT worked any temporary jobs, so this is not the case. I'm really scared for her. She doesn't have 5K--10K to pay back if they would demand it.
I think I threw out the overpayment letters I got last year during that whole ESC screw-up. I remember the letters just showed up one day and each one gave me about 2-3 weeks to either pay the overpayment back or file an appeal by a certain date. They do mention in the letter that, failure to pay will result in legal action or it reserves them the right to take any remaining benefits I had left. Which your friend would have none...so, they would probably have to figure some sort of plan.

I guess there's a chance they wouldn't find out...but then again, I think they'd eventually realize what happened. Plus, it's a bit illegal. She needs to stop certifying if she truly is way over 99 weeks and hasn't gotten any monetary determination letters, because it won't get any easier for her each week she collects.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:41 PM

174 posts, read 313,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catco View Post
I have one friend that got 26 weeks for his first year.got through 2nd teir of federal and then when he started his second year he got 13 more weeks of state before his second teir started back up. In other words he got 111 weeks of unemployment

Old 06-07-2011, 09:36 PM

776 posts, read 1,684,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeja View Post
I have one friend that got 26 weeks for his first year.got through 2nd teir of federal and then when he started his second year he got 13 more weeks of state before his second teir started back up. In other words he got 111 weeks of unemployment
Well, and that's kinda what happened to me with the overpayment mess last year.

I ended my first benefit year in the middle of Tier 2. I then had to file a new claim and they have to first check to see if I qualified for new regular UI benefits based on my past earnings. Under the formula they used...I qualified for 13 additional weeks of regular UI. Under the new formula they were supposed to implement about three weeks prior and never did...I DID NOT qualify for regular UI and should've just continued drawing Tier 2. So, I collected those 13 weeks...then got a pull forward back to Tier 2. Fast forward about 9 months later, and the NCESC started sending the overpayment letters out to everyone who had been run through the incorrect formula.

Turns out, they had known about their screw-up for about 5 months, but didn't know how to proceed. They sent everyone into a panic because they first reiterated that all claimants must pay what they owe...even if it was completely their fault. That's when Bev stepped up and called it unacceptable and that she'll consider making sweeping changes...which again, once the story became old...I don't think anything happened. Not a big shocker there.

So, they ultimately just took the balance of my Tier 4 and some EB that I had not received yet and used that to cover the overpaid weeks. Then, they gave me the remaining 13 or so EB weeks. It kinda worked out...but not before absolutely giving about 40,000 claimants all anxiety attacks.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:49 AM

26 posts, read 31,786 times
FYI:

I wasn't on EB before 4/16, have called the last few days to re-open file, etc. I'm an interstate claimant, and today I had all 7 weeks retro pay sitting in my bank account. It looks like all is good-to-go for us (those who were and were NOT on EB on 4/16). Retro for everyone - thank you all for the efforts to push EB and best of luck w/ getting your next job!

Old 06-08-2011, 07:11 AM

244 posts, read 311,468 times
47,000 rejoice at benefits renewal | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/06/08/2359769/47000-rejoice-at-benefits-renewal.html - broken link)

Old 06-08-2011, 08:58 AM

4 posts, read 5,168 times
Well I got all 4 weeks of back pay today too. So like GAHeel said its all good for those that were already on EB and those who weren't.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:09 AM

191 posts, read 218,549 times
Still waiting on mine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina