Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 12:42 AM

776 posts, read 1,684,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekken3000 View Post
What happens after Tier 4?
If you have not received EB yet...you may be able to roll into a maximum of 20 weeks of EB, after you complete Tier 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 06:00 PM

81 posts, read 174,149 times
UPDATE:

H.R.6556 is going to be reintroduced next week. A press conference will be held in D.C. on February 9th.
Now is the time to get those contacts made!
Let your reps know you expect them to support this Bill and ask them to vote yes when it comes to the floor.
Everyone on UI needs to contact your respective representative. Have your family and friends write too, even if they are currently employed.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:24 PM

776 posts, read 1,684,867 times
LOL!

Quote:
Audit: ESC Paid Benefits With State, Not Federal Money

The state Employment Security Commission mistakenly paid $147 million in jobless benefits with state funds instead of federal money in the past two years, according to a state audit released Thursday.

The finding is the latest problem for the ESC, which last fall was roundly criticized for trying to dock the weekly benefits checks of thousands of unemployed people after overpaying benefits for months.

Federal inspectors discovered in December 2009 that a computer programming error resulted in benefits being paid from state funds, but the ESC didn't correct the problem until last May, according to the audit. It took the agency another four months to determine how much the mistake cost the state, the audit states.

ESC spokesman Larry Parker said the money was recovered last summer when the agency reconciled its 2009-10 fiscal year financial statements.

Similar computer errors led to an estimated $28 million in overpayments to about 38,000 people last year. The ESC started trying to recoup the money in September without warning, prompting an angry response from people receiving jobless benefits.

Gov. Beverly Perdue ordered the agency to stop docking people's benefits checks and to repay anyone who had lost money because of the move. Parker said Thursday that all of that money has been refunded.

Perdue also sent in a group of technology experts to help the ESC fix its computer problems, and Parker said that all of the issues have been resolved.

“The governor believes (the ESC) will fix any issues needed to continue their services to North Carolina citizens,” Perdue spokeswoman Chrissy Pearson said Thursday when asked if the governor still had confidence in ESC's leadership.

The ESC must repay the U.S. Department of Labor the $28 million in money mistakenly paid out, but it remains unclear whether a payment plan has been worked out.
Didn't Bev say she was going to institute big changes be made at the NCESC last September??? What have they done besides send some IT experts down there as a cover for the NCESC's leadership??? Fire a couple people? None? How many?

Ridiculous. If it's a major corporation, you're probably getting tossed out on your tush. A government agency makes critical errors? Eh, just sweep it under the rug and hope people forget.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:31 PM

193 posts, read 285,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoletteW View Post
You and I basically started right around the same time, although I was advised by a local rep that the whole 99 week thing is more for mainstream media, and it's hype. I was told to disregard it, and I'll get my full 20 weeks EB.

Thats funny.. imma go lay my daughter down and go back thru this post. I asked jdl.. the same question awhile ago and he said it was possible to go into a 3rd year. This rep counted each friggin week though.. and I did get 99 weeks.

There is NO money in my claim because they paid it to me when they paid the underpayment. I have emails from a director who helped me get my pull forward back in June. And he's the one who helped me get the underpayment. And when I emailed him the email he emailed me (haha) back on July 26 stating I had $5200 (13 weeks worth) left of Tier 3 to exhaust.. and now you're telling me i collected Tier 4 AND my EB started September 12th? As soon as I sent him that, he said "contact benefit control....... " and I did.. and they said "contact remote services" and I did.. and OMG.

I'm driving back home on Saturday.. yes with a 1 and 3 year old alll by myself. And you better believe that Monday morning, I'll be at the local ESC with bells on.

Like that'll help. :/

Old 02-03-2011, 08:32 PM

193 posts, read 285,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Sometimes a third year is possible, but it all depends on wages in the base period, or, how much remaining unused extension money is left from the previous benefit year. At some point, the benefits do end, though.

but will they pull forward EB money?

Old 02-04-2011, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 10,291 times
If you received the three forms listed below (see the lower left corner of your forms), here’s a more detailed explanation of what they are, what they represent and what it means:

North Carolina Unemployment Insurance (NCUI)
Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC08)
North Carolina Emergency Unemployment Compensation (NCEUC) Q & A's

1) North Carolina Unemployment Insurance (NCUI)

This form is the initial determination of your benefits process eligibility, and it works like this:
Base Period:
(see https://www.ncesc1.com/individual/UI/UiClaims.asp#chart]

The unemployment insurance program in North Carolina is part of a national system designed to provide temporary economic benefits to eligible workers. Eligible workers are individuals who (1) lost their jobs through no fault of their own, (2) worked during a specified time period and received a minimum amount of wages during that time period, (3) are able and available for work, and (4) are actively seeking new employment. All benefits and administrative costs of the unemployment insurance program are paid by employers through State Unemployment Tax Act (SUTA) and the Federal Unemployment Tax Act (FUTA) payments. No money is withheld from workers' checks to pay for unemployment benefits.

What Determines Monetary Eligibility?
In order to establish an unemployment insurance claim, an individual:
· must have worked and received wages during at least two calendar quarters of the current base period; and,
· the sum of those wages must be at least six times the state average weekly insured wage.

What Is A “Wage Transcript And Monetary Determination”?
Each claimant receives Form NCUI 550, Wage Transcript and Monetary Determination, which itemizes the quarterly wages paid by each employer in the base period. This form also contains the weekly benefit amount, duration, and effective date of the claim. If monetary eligibility is not established, the reason is shown on this form.

What Is The Base Period for Unemployment Insurance Claims?
The base period in North Carolina is the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters prior to the quarter in which a claim for benefits is filed. Wages earned during the base period determine both the amount and duration of an individual's unemployment insurance benefits. The table below shows how the base period is determined.
Note: An individual who fails to establish a monetarily eligible claim using the table above is automatically moved to an alternative base period (the last four completed calendar quarters before the quarter in which the claim was filed) regardless of the reason for the monetary ineligibility.

What Is The Weekly Benefit Amount?
The weekly benefit amount is the dollar amount of benefits a claimant can receive each week. It is computed by dividing the sum of the wages earned during the highest quarter of the base period by 26, rounded down to the next lower whole dollar. The result cannot exceed the maximum weekly benefit amount allowed by law. If the amount is less than fifteen dollars ($15.00), the individual is not eligible for benefits.
For example, Claimant A worked for XYZ Company during the base period and was paid total wages of $12,498.90 and high quarter wages of $3,639.38.
The weekly benefit amount determined for Claimant A is:
WBA = $3,639.38 (High Qtr Wages) divided by 26
WBA = $139.97
WBA = $139.00 (rounded down to the next lower dollar)

What Is Duration of Benefits?
Duration is the number of weeks a claimant can receive the full weekly benefit amount. Minimum duration is 13 weeks; maximum duration is 26 weeks. Duration is calculated by dividing the total base period wages by the high quarter wages and then multiplying the result by eight and two-thirds. A result which is not a whole number is rounded to the nearest whole number; a result that is less than 13 or more than 26 is raised or lowered to the minimum or maximum duration.
Based on the wage information reported for Claimant A, the duration of the claim is:
Duration = $12,498.90 (Total BP Wages) divided by $3,639.38 (High Qtr Wages) X 8 2/3
Duration = 29.73
Duration = 26 weeks (lowered to maximum)

What Is Earnings Allowance?
The earnings allowance is the maximum amount a claimant may earn in a compensable week before the weekly benefit amount is reduced. It is computed by dividing the claimant's high quarter wages by 13, multiplying this result by ten percent (0.10), and rounding any amount which is not a whole dollar down to the next lower whole dollar.
For example, the earnings allowance for a claimant with high quarter wages of $3,639.38 is computed below:
EA = $3,639.38 (Hi Qtr Wages) divided by 13 x 0.10 (10%)
EA = $279.95 x 0.10 or $27.99
EA = $27.00 (rounded down to $27.00)
Earnings over this amount are deducted dollar for dollar from weekly benefits.

Ineligible Amount
Ineligible amount is determined by adding the claimant's earning allowance to the claimant's weekly benefit amount. If, in a given week, the earnings reported by the claimant equal or exceed the ineligible amount, then the claimant cannot receive any unemployment benefits for that week.

2) Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC08)[/SIZE][SIZE=3] Q & A's
(see https://www.ncesc1.com/individual/euc08QA.asp)

THIS IS A FEDERAL PROGRAM
Individuals must exhaust regular UI benefits no later than the week ending December 24, 2011 and qualify for EUC08 Tier 1 effective December 25, 2011. Individuals must exhaust the first, second, or third tier of EUC08 no later than the week ending December 31, 2011 to qualify for the next higher tier.

THIS EXTENDS THE END DATE TO FILE FOR EUC. IT DOES NOT PROVIDE ADDITIONAL EUC BENEFITS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE EXHAUSTED.</FONT< b>

What is EUC08?
EUC08, or Emergency Unemployment Compensation 2008, is an extension of unemployment benefits authorized under Federal law.

Who is eligible for this extension?
Claimants who filed an initial claim effective on or after May 7, 2006 are potentially eligible for EUC08. Individuals who are monetarily ineligible when a new benefit year is filed may qualify for EUC08 on the basis of a previous claim.

After I have filed my claim, what is the next step?
When your claim has been processed, you will receive a monetary determination letter in the mail informing you if you are eligible or not. Once you receive your monetary determination, you may file your weekly certifications online any day of the week.

How much money will I receive?
Four Tiers have been authorized in the EUC08 program: Tier 1 has a 20-week maximum; Tier 2, 14 weeks; Tier 3, 13 weeks; and Tier 4, 6 weeks.

How will my benefits be paid?
If you roll over from regular UI to EUC08 in the same benefit year, your payment method will not change. If you are establishing a new claim for EUC08 benefits, your payments will be sent to you by debit card.

Can I use the Benefits Estimator to see if I qualify for EUC08?
The online estimate of benefits is used only to determine potential UI eligibility based on current wage information. It cannot be used at this time to determine EUC08 eligibility.

3) North Carolina Emergency Unemployment Compensation (NCEUC) Q & A's
(see https://www.ncesc1.com/individual/EB-QA.asp (broken link))

THIS IS A STATE PROGRAM. YOU MUST EXHAUST YOUR NCUI AND YOUR EUC08 BENEIFTS BEFOR YOU ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THIS PROGRAM

Who is Eligible for EB?
You are potentially eligible for EB if you have exhausted Regular UI Benefits & EUC08 Benefits, your benefit year ends after October 5, 2008, and you have no prior disqualifications. The basic EB eligibility requirements are different from those for Regular or EUC08 benefits.

Federal Additional Compensation (FAC) Q & A's
(see https://www.ncesc1.com/individual/FAC-QA.asp)

How do I qualify for FAC?
ESC will pay the $25 for any week for which you are eligible to receive at least $1 under any unemployment compensation program we currently have in effect.
What time period is FAC in effect?
The FAC supplement is effective for benefit years established no later than May 23, 2010.
When is the last payable week for FAC?
The week ending December 11, 2010 is the last payable week for FAC.

Last edited by handyman454; 02-04-2011 at 12:54 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 10,291 times
Follow Up:

It is my "limited understanding" that you will receive all three of these forms starting your second year of UI Benefit collection and that each form merely states the status of your elegibility for its corresponding program.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:51 AM

656 posts, read 1,140,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmchic00 View Post
but will they pull forward EB money?
yep!
If it's been in your account already.
I still have 11 weeks of EB sitting in my account.
I was told when I started back to work several weeks back ,that if my job didn't work out, to open my new (3rd) year in Feb and I could collect my 11 weeks of EB that would still be in there.
Sounds good ,other than I really like my job, even though I wished I had started in late March if I'd known that earlier(lol)
Anyway,chances are that my job would've been gone by then

Have a safe trip back home to NC!

Old 02-06-2011, 12:28 PM

22 posts, read 68,278 times
Hi guys, how is it going? I ran into a problem today (sunday) as I filed for my weekly benefit. To start off how it began: My yearly benefit has ended on Jan 29th, 2011 ( I'm still in my T2.) I filed a new claim on the 31st, and they sent me a letter 3 days later affirming that I am still eligible for my T2 - as it has not run out of money yet. So today I filed my weekly certification and ran into this message:

"Your claim for the week of 2/5/2011 has been accepted but cannot be processed for payment because there is an issue on your claim pending an eligibility ruling. A determination will be made and mailed to you and your claim will be processed accordingly."

Can someone please help me what is going on?

Old 02-07-2011, 02:26 PM

22 posts, read 68,278 times
Called in and the guy remove the issue so it should clear up. Looking forward to see my money lol this weekend if not ima be hecka mad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina