Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2010, 02:51 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,437,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XmasMouse View Post
Hey, I got that same message but I didn't have any disqualifications at all in my first benefit year. It's just this benefit year exhausted thing because I couldn't find any work during my first year on unemployment. I'm now wondering if there's a gulch in the system that's giving out this system message.

It really makes no sense to be penalized because you couldn't find any work and finding work is what you've been trying to do with the 2 days a work thing and the log. These are the only required things to do. I mean if I needed to find work just to keep getting unemployment the list of things I should be doing should say, you had better find work in the first year or you will lost benefits even through you have money in a second, third, four tier. If I could find work I wouldn't be on unemployment.
A part-time job would have satisfied the requirement, but many folks won't take that to supplement their unemployment - they're only looking for a full-time replacement job. But with a part-time job you could have still certified for your UI each week (report earnings each week), put money into your base period for future claims, paid into the SSI system, extended out the period your benefits would have been payable, etc. Part of the requirement, too, is meant to protect employers from having two subsequent claims against them for UI from the same person.

You won't lose any money from the (EUC) "tiers" by not qualifying for a 2nd benefit year. You'll only lose the 13-26 weeks of regular UI that you would have set up for (and potentially NEW extensions, too). However, by not getting a 2nd round of regular UI in your 2nd benefit year, you will now qualify for your EB (Extended Benefits) if eligible (no separation issue disqualifications on either benefit year) of up to 20 weeks from your first benefit year. You can't get EB pulled forward from the first benefit year into the second benefit year if you receive regular UI in the second benefit year. So really, it's sorta like six of one, half dozen of the other.

Last edited by jdljr; 06-06-2010 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcole View Post
To jdljr . . . I received the same message jmlib did. I have received this message this week AND last week. As I posted earlier, my benefit year eneded 5/23/2010. I have been confused since that Monday morning after talking to someone in Raleigh. (I'm waiting for the program to do the pull forwards). The first time I called, the girl was talking so fast that I could really barely understand what she was telling me. She got my ss#, pulled up my claim and said "I have keyed your claim for a new benefit year" and I knew that I did not qualify for a new year. I started to ask her about this and she interrupted me and told me again what my benefit for the new year would be and how much. Then I called my Asheville office the next day and got a little better explanation. But now (and since the Thursday of that first week) my online shows the new benefit year, no active issues, but at almost half of my original year. Yet when I file my weekly certification, it says "your claim has been accepted but cannot be processed for payment because of a prior disqualification" . I was 5 payments into tier II. I know we are waiting for the pullforwards. (this is the second week with no payment, and I'm now out of money. Got gas and food for the week with what I had left yesterday) This "disqualification" . . . is that because of the pullforwards? That's the only thing I know of. I was not fired or quit. I was laid off because there was NO WORK. Will that "disqualification" affect EB if I don't find employment and get to that point? This makes me nervous. People say things are looking better, but it hasn't reached everywhere yet. How much longer before the pullforwards? Could I not get the EB until those are done? Has someone really messed my claim up? Please help!
Yes, the best I can surmise without looking at your claim is that the disqualification being referenced when you call has to do with not meeting the 6x rule for a new benefit year. So you should be eligible for the remaining extension money from your previous benefit year, but you're waiting for the pull forward programming to be completed. From what I understand, this disqualification will not affect receipt of EB. However, you need to contact someone to make sure that they have resolved the issue on your claim so that that issue doesn't block payment of EUC/EB when they do get the programming done. The issue needs to manually be resolved or else the EUC/EB won't pull forward.

Unfortunately, no, you can't get EB either at this time because it's all coming from your previous benefit year and all part of the same programming to pull it forward.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:46 PM

8 posts, read 16,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
A part-time job would have satisfied the requirement, but many folks won't take that to supplement their unemployment - they're only looking for a full-time replacement job. But with a part-time job you could have still certified for your UI each week (report earnings each week), put money into your base period for future claims, paid into the SSI system, extended out the period your benefits would have been payable, etc. Part of the requirement, too, is meant to protect employers from having two subsequent claims against them for UI from the same person.

You won't lose any money from the (EUC) "tiers" by not qualifying for a 2nd benefit year. You'll only lose the 13-26 weeks of regular UI that you would have set up for (and potentially NEW extensions, too). However, by not getting a 2nd round of regular UI in your 2nd benefit year, you will now qualify for your EB (Extended Benefits) if eligible (no separation issue disqualifications on either benefit year) of up to 20 weeks from your first benefit year. You can't get EB pulled forward from the first benefit year into the second benefit year if you receive regular UI in the second benefit year. So really, it's sorta like six of one, half dozen of the other.
Believe me I have tried. I'm currently registered with three temp agencies and a temp to hire agency. They keep calling me and asking if I'm available and I keep calling them asking for work. I get, we have someone we will submit your name to and get back to you. Well, I'm still waiting. I have filled out applications so much that I don't need to look at anything else to do it and been told I was very qualified but they received 100 applications. This is not fun, and I wouldn't wish this situation on my worst enermy. I can't pay all my bills, I have to go to food pantries to feed my kids and my car note is so behind I'm hiding it every night from the repo man. If I could work at the gas station down the street I would take it in a heart beat. But I finally do have an interview after the last one I got 9 months ago. I'm praying it get this job and I'm not a religion person.

Last edited by XmasMouse; 06-06-2010 at 05:19 PM..

Old 06-06-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Believe me I have tried. I'm currently registered with three temp agencies and a temp to hire agency. They keep calling me and asking if I'm available and I keep calling them asking for work. I get, we have someone we will submit your name to and get back to you. Well, I'm still waiting. I have filled out applications so much that I don't need to look at anything else to do it and been told I was very qualified but they received 100 applications. This is not fun, and I wouldn't wish this situation on my worst enermy. I can't pay all my bills, I have to go to food pantries to feed my kids and my car note is so behind I'm hinding it every night from the repo man. If I could work at the gas station down the street I would take it in a heart beat. But I finally do have an interview after the last one I got 9 months ago. I'm praying it get this job and I'm not a religion person.
I do wish you luck, I know it's so frustrating and discouraging. I hope something finally comes your way soon.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:16 PM

656 posts, read 1,140,062 times
Quote:
Believe me I have tried. I'm currently registered with three temp agencies and a temp to hire agency. They keep calling me and asking if I'm available and I keep calling them asking for work. I get, we have someone we will submit your name to and get back to you. Well, I'm still waiting. I have filled out applications so much that I don't need to look at anything else to do it and been told I was very qualified but they received 100 applications. This is not fun, and I wouldn't wish this situation on my worst enermy. I can't pay all my bills, I have to go to food pantries to feed my kids and my car note is so behind I'm hiding it every night from the repo man. If I could work at the gas station down the street I would take it in a heart beat. But I finally do have an interview after the last one I got 9 months ago. I'm praying it get this job and I'm not a religion person.
Goodluck
I'll be praying that you get the job

Old 06-06-2010, 09:25 PM

22 posts, read 47,830 times
Congressman Jim McDermott (D-WA), Chairman of the Subcommittee on Income Security and Family Support of the Committee on Ways and Means, today announced that the Subcommittee will hold a hearing on possible policy responses to long-term unemployment. The hearing will take place on Thursday, June 10, 2010, at 9:30 a.m. in B-318 Rayburn House Office Building.
In view of the limited time available to hear witnesses, oral testimony at this hearing will be from invited witnesses only. However, any individual or organization not scheduled to appear may submit a written statement for consideration by the Subcommittee and for inclusion in the record of the hearing.
BACKGROUND:
Even as the economy has started to consistently create jobs for the first time in over two years, the problem of long-term unemployment remains a significant challenge. Just fewer than 46 percent of all unemployed workers have been without work for over six months – more than any time since record keeping on this statistic began in 1948. These 6.7 million long-term jobless Americans face a labor market with only one job available for nearly every six unemployed workers.
Over ten million jobs need to be created to restore the labor market to its condition before the recession started in December 2007. This enormous jobs gap suggests that even robust and consistent employment growth would take considerable time to substantially lower the number of long-term unemployed workers. Studies find that unemployment leads to a variety of negative outcomes for workers and their families, including increased deprivation, increased health problems, permanent withdrawal from the labor market (sometimes by moving on to disability programs) and adverse impacts on children, including poorer educational outcomes.
In announcing the hearing, Chairman McDermott stated, "Our first step to respond to long-term unemployment is obvious -- continue the emergency federal unemployment programs to prevent millions of workers from losing their benefits. If we can afford wars, tax cuts, and bank bailouts, then we can certainly afford to maintain programs for workers who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own. But we also need to think about additional steps to help those trying to return to work. An increasing number of Americans who have worked hard and played by the rules are now finding themselves with no job, no savings and no support. We must not abandon these workers and their families.”

Old 06-06-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockomon View Post
Congressman Jim McDermott (D-WA), Chairman of the Subcommittee on Income Security and Family Support of the Committee on Ways and Means, today announced that the Subcommittee will hold a hearing on possible policy responses to long-term unemployment. The hearing will take place on Thursday, June 10, 2010, at 9:30 a.m. in B-318 Rayburn House Office Building.
In view of the limited time available to hear witnesses, oral testimony at this hearing will be from invited witnesses only. However, any individual or organization not scheduled to appear may submit a written statement for consideration by the Subcommittee and for inclusion in the record of the hearing.
BACKGROUND:
Even as the economy has started to consistently create jobs for the first time in over two years, the problem of long-term unemployment remains a significant challenge. Just fewer than 46 percent of all unemployed workers have been without work for over six months – more than any time since record keeping on this statistic began in 1948. These 6.7 million long-term jobless Americans face a labor market with only one job available for nearly every six unemployed workers.
Over ten million jobs need to be created to restore the labor market to its condition before the recession started in December 2007. This enormous jobs gap suggests that even robust and consistent employment growth would take considerable time to substantially lower the number of long-term unemployed workers. Studies find that unemployment leads to a variety of negative outcomes for workers and their families, including increased deprivation, increased health problems, permanent withdrawal from the labor market (sometimes by moving on to disability programs) and adverse impacts on children, including poorer educational outcomes.
In announcing the hearing, Chairman McDermott stated, "Our first step to respond to long-term unemployment is obvious -- continue the emergency federal unemployment programs to prevent millions of workers from losing their benefits. If we can afford wars, tax cuts, and bank bailouts, then we can certainly afford to maintain programs for workers who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own. But we also need to think about additional steps to help those trying to return to work. An increasing number of Americans who have worked hard and played by the rules are now finding themselves with no job, no savings and no support. We must not abandon these workers and their families.â€
THANKS for posting this

Old 06-06-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
I do wish you luck, I know it's so frustrating and discouraging. I hope something finally comes your way soon.
JDLJR,
thanks for your dedication and your hardwork and kindness to all of us on the many threads on the city-data forum.
You've helped so very many of us.
Theres really no words to thankyou enough for everything you do

Old 06-07-2010, 06:34 AM

13 posts, read 35,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlib View Post
So, just to clarify, I am eligible only for the EB for 12 weeks?
I just tried to file weekly cert. and it said "can not be processed for payment because of a prior disqualification" Is this because it's waiting for the program in Raleigh to be finished or is it for something else?

Quote:
Claimants also aren't eligible for EB if they have a prior disqualification, either in this new benefit year or the last...like a quit or fire issue that was adjudicated but you got a partial disqualification.

When/If the Senate passes extension to the EUC program, you should be eligible for any remaining EUC (Tier 1, 2, 3, 4) from your previous benefit year if you haven't already received all of it.
I checked online and I was paid $505 last night??? I am utterly confused!!!

XmasMouse, Jdcole, Rocomom- I hope you received payment as well.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:05 AM

17 posts, read 32,525 times
Congratulations jmlib! Unfortunately for me, nothing on my claim has changed as of this morning and I have not gotten paid. I'm sorry, but I have a very difficult time understanding why it would take 3 weeks or longer to change a computer program and interrupt peoples benefit payments. Losing your job and trying to find another one is stressful enough, and then for unemployment benefits to stop because they can't "tweak" the program makes it worse. I'm not whining, I'm just plain frustrated and even a little angry that we weren't told ahead of time about this computer programming change and what might happen because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina