Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 07:32 PM

31 posts, read 89,516 times

Advertisements

well i refiled online and it looked like it worked just fine . only thing when I go my info, it says how much i will get and how much I have but that there is no taxes coming out. I must have made a mistake because I had taxes out last time and I wanted it this time. how can I correct it ? or will it not make much difference? will it delay my claim a long time if I try to get it corrected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 04:57 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,438,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kap1 View Post
well i refiled online and it looked like it worked just fine . only thing when I go my info, it says how much i will get and how much I have but that there is no taxes coming out. I must have made a mistake because I had taxes out last time and I wanted it this time. how can I correct it ? or will it not make much difference? will it delay my claim a long time if I try to get it corrected?
Having taxes withheld does not transfer from one benefit year to the next, you have to request it each time. You can either go to your local office and fill out a form and have them key it there, or you can wait for the form to arrive in the mail (one was generated for you when you filed, it should be on its way), and then either send it back to Raleigh or drop it by your local office.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:46 PM

you are 100% right . Got the form in the mail today. I will fill it out and send it in right away. It says they will take out 10% in Federal Taxes and for you to fill in the state tax % . What would be enough in NC ? Although I need every penny weekly I don't want to owe taxes either. 5% or 10 ? what does everyone think on the state tax rate?

Old 12-04-2009, 12:57 PM

692 posts, read 1,708,563 times
Out of regular and into extended for another 20 weeks. Hope i am not unemployed much longer

Old 12-04-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
you are 100% right . Got the form in the mail today. I will fill it out and send it in right away. It says they will take out 10% in Federal Taxes and for you to fill in the state tax % . What would be enough in NC ? Although I need every penny weekly I don't want to owe taxes either. 5% or 10 ? what does everyone think on the state tax rate?
While not a tax consultant, the most common number I see on those forms for state tax is 5% or 6%.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:22 PM

19 posts, read 57,762 times
I'm very confused and math is not one of my strongest skills.

I lost my job in June 08. After appealing unemployment I started collecting in October 08. I forget exactly how long I collected, 26 weeks maybe, and then I got the next extension and this continued until recently when I got EB. I did have to reopen my benefit year which now expires late 2010. My very last EB payment was November 24. I signed on last Sunday and was able to file a weekly cert but of course received the "Your benefits are exhausted and no payment will be processed"

I called the unemployment office a few days later (trying to avoid the Monday rush) and spoke to a very kind gentleman who appeared confused. He stated that I was not eligible for the extension because my benefits were exhausted and that extension was only for people who still had funds in their accounts but their benefit year had run out. So I explained that this extension IS for folks who have exhausted their benefits. And he replied "Oh, you people know more than I do then" (not sarcastic at all, he truly meant it) and he gave me the # for the EB folks. After 55 minutes on hold I got a young lady who stated "Sorry, we can't tell you anything, didn't you hear the message while you were on hold?" Sigh...

Like so many we are in a very very tough spot. There will be no Christmas this year, and to be honest, I just don't care about that. I borrowed money from a family member to pay rent and utilities for the month, after that there is nothing. Absolutely nothing.

My husband lost 9 days of pay due to the death of his mother and he returned the day before thanksgiving, worked 1 day, then the office was closed Thursday and Friday for the holiday. His check yesterday was a whopping 73.00. I know so many of you are in the same boat and I'm not trying to sound extra whiney, I'm just hoping that someone out there can give me a glimmer of hope.

I send out resume's constantly. I even revamped my resume with an agency in early November to try and get noticed. As you all are aware, there are just no jobs. In my field, there are normally about 6 applicants per job. Now, I'm competing with up to 100 people for the same position. How int he world do you stand out?

I don't want a hand out, I want a job. But in the meantime I need the peace of mind that Unemployment payments provide. I've worked for the last 28 years and only ever collected unemployment once in all that time (right now)

Glimmer of hope anyone?

hugs and prayers to you all!

Old 12-06-2009, 11:22 AM

jdljr,
What does this mean? your earnings allowance ? It is on the benefit page . It tells how much you will receive then under it it says earnings allowance? Is that the taxes?

Old 12-06-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
jdljr,
What does this mean? your earnings allowance ? It is on the benefit page . It tells how much you will receive then under it it says earnings allowance? Is that the taxes?
That is the amount of money you're allowed to earn each week (at a part time job or whatever) and it won't affect your benefit. If you do any work and report your earnings for the week, anything earned over that dollar amount will be deducted dollar-for-dollar from your weekly benefit amount.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:41 PM

6 posts, read 29,752 times
I got a letter stating I was eligible for Tier 2 with the regular questions. I filed my T2 eligibile form online though as it was presented a week before my benefit year was to end. its been 1 week since my last EUC payment and this week the only message i get trying to apply for my weekly benefit is that my benefit year has expired. does it just take time for tier 2 to kick in? will it kick in automatically? do i have to reapply to get tier2? your time and answers are greatly appreciated

Old 12-06-2009, 04:41 PM

6 posts, read 29,752 times
did my eligibility review for tier 2 online the same day i filed my last weekly certification for my benefit year. it says my year is over this week and wont let me file certification. do i need to reapply for a new year to get tier 2 started now or am i just in a waiting period?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina